• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Have any of Q’s predictions actually happen?

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I thought that was Trump. AFAIK, Q didn't advocate any action other than "decoding" and waiting for the metaphorical spaceship. It was one guy who was literally an actor holding a Q sign that seemed to find himself in the center spotlight without any fight to get there.

What reason?
silent went crazy, and tabzer is being levelheaded? everything's gone wrong

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I understand the psychology and logic behind why people get into these movements but[...]
Lets spell it out then.. :)

- Cold reading was mentioned.
- Ingroup stuff. (Creates own language, references, logic)
- Urgency traps. (impending HUGE thing all the time)
- Classic grooming/Leadership figure behavior (One guy in the know > lets you be in the know - first(!) - if you follow, show devotion, spread the word)
- Complexity reduction ("There is a simple, but sinister reason, you wouldnt believe")
- Warm reading (Works especially well, when it gets cross referencial, and you can mix it with high status elements - so lets say Trump drops a line with a code word, you get invites to a white house event, ... and so on and so forth -- the last one is probably outside the scope of Q which is public facing myth creation)
- Mystery, riddle, transcendent motives - mirrors religious and "pseudo" scientific language for the undertones, lets people go off on the deep end on their own.
- Nothing is ever "explained" - people form their own stories, explainations, and ways into the (public) mystery - which is a way of letting them internalize believes, which is also what makes it so hard to pry them away - because its their own conclusions you would be antagonizing. This is basically the principle of "keep it vague".
- Create common goals, and common procedure (rituals)
- Have "yes loops" - f.e. people contemplating over what a message in a Wikileaks release means, have everyone contribute their own opinion, have the ingroup be very supportive (yes, wow, thank you for your contribution, this could be it).
- Give them importance. Roles. Meaning.
- Oh, and why so weird? Because weird works. The founder of extinction rebellion spelled out their working principle behind "open form organizing" one or two years ago - give them roles, give them purpose, but let the rest be filled in by them. Dont tell them whats right or wrong, dont tell the what to believe - let that be filled in by them, and create subgroups. Your most dedicated people will be the ones that need a purpose in their lives, and that want to have a role that suits their selfimages - which they maybe cant get outside the movement. Those will be your most dedicated.

Should be in here around the 20 min mark:

Most of those principles are very old, and you'll find them in established groups as well. Its a sort of free form self organizing, which builds an alternative narrative, that has a tendency to keep people contained in ingroups. You keep them small and self organized, you give them events. And they get something to do and something to be in their lives... Thats the basic rundown.

It works, because its effective.

That it spells out "nonsense" to most people that arent drawn to those things, is actually a feature as well. Keep those out, they ruin your group "climate".. ;) (Same as with spam. There is an 'idiot' check, somewhere in there, so you weed out the people that might not flock to this.)

Once you have "group dynamics" established - forget the highbrow fingerweaving of "how could you ever believe..:" that stuff is too potent on its own.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: VinsCool
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This Q?
3b003e811d51f7d87cd24c426df14678.png

Dunno, he doesn't say much apart from cryptic stuff iirc

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly not enough there to differentiate the two characters from a 21st century perspective, seems like Marlow may have been in part based on Dick Tracy since the former debuted in 1939 and the latter in 1931. Figures the QAnon crowd would be enamored with WW2-era characters rather than something more recent.

This has a political dimension as well (well Hollywood movie politics). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Code_Hollywood
That's kind of interesting but not particularly surprising given how puritanical American society has been for much of its history. Seems like every generation has its, "WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" moment over movies/TV/comics/video games, and the whole QAnon movement amounts to little more than that in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by Xzi,
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: DarkCoffe64

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So it is, they couldn't be assed to change it even in the slightest. Knew I had seen it somewhere before.

It's literally Q from Street Fighter. Whoever is calling it the official mascot of "Qanon International" is probably saying the same thing about Q from Star Trek.

Looks similar but no, the anime I was thinking of has more colorful metal masks with antennae sticking out from the sides where your ears would normally be. Kind of like Guyver mixed with Gundam.

Kamen Rider?

Reactions: DarkCoffe64 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's literally Q from Street Fighter. Whoever is calling it the official mascot of "Qanon International" is probably saying the same thing about Q from Star Trek.
Well I guess nobody ever accused them of being the most creative bunch in the world.

Kamen Rider?
That might be it, though they look a lot more rounded and insectoid than the image I had in my head.

D

Deleted User

The Fandom says the face is taken from the 1973 Robot Detective K and I can see the resemblance, albeit before my time.
The name Q is said to refer to the QSound Chip which the Arcade Machines used, which makes the most sense.

They also linked the silhouette to Tokusou Robo Janperson, which probably shows the age of the Author.
If they can link Q to Janperson, then obviously the link is stronger with my childhood's Space Sheriff Gavan and subsequent Space Sheriff Sharivan, a decade older.

Come on.

Last edited by , , Reason: Clarification.
Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
The Fandom says the face is taken from the 1973 Robot Detective K and I can see the resemblance, albeit before my time.
The name Q is said to refer to the QSound Chip which the Arcade Machines used, which makes the most sense.

They also linked the silhouette to Tokusou Robo Janperson, which probably shows the age of the Writer.
If they can link Q to Janperson, then obviously the link is stronger with my childhood's Space Sheriff Sharivan, a decade older.

Come on.
for a second i thought you meant the Qanon fandom lmao

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Honestly not enough there to differentiate the two characters from a 21st century perspective, seems like Marlow may have been in part based on Dick Tracy since the former debuted in 1939 and the latter in 1931. Figures the QAnon crowd would be enamored with WW2-era characters rather than something more recent.
Didn't know that Dick Tracy went back that far. White spot. :)

If I see a Trench Coat wearing detective type, I for some reason always associate the Hollywood code switch from "Oh dear clear cut and strait-laced hero, that helps the law" to during the depression, the public demanded, that gangsters actually can be heroes too, and only have to be killed off in the end, because. ;) I find that historic parallel fascinating, for some reason. ;) (Probably, because I like a good anti-hero as well.. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: DarkCoffe64 and Xzi

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lets spell it out then.. :)

- Cold reading was mentioned.
- Ingroup stuff. (Creates own language, references, logic)
- Urgency traps. (impending HUGE thing all the time)
- Classic grooming/Leadership figure behavior (One guy in the know > lets you be in the know - first(!) - if you follow, show devotion, spread the word)
- Complexity reduction ("There is a simple, but sinister reason, you wouldnt believe")
- Warm reading (Works especially well, when it gets cross referencial, and you can mix it with high status elements - so lets say Trump drops a line with a code word, you get invites to a white house event, ... and so on and so forth -- the last one is probably outside the scope of Q which is public facing myth creation)
- Mystery, riddle, transcendent motives - mirrors religious and "pseudo" scientific language for the undertones, lets people go off on the deep end on their own.
- Nothing is ever "explained" - people form their own stories, explainations, and ways into the (public) mystery - which is a way of letting them internalize believes, which is also what makes it so hard to pry them away - because its their own conclusions you would be antagonizing. This is basically the principle of "keep it vague".
- Create common goals, and common procedure (rituals)
- Have "yes loops" - f.e. people contemplating over what a message in a Wikileaks release means, have everyone contribute their own opinion, have the ingroup be very supportive (yes, wow, thank you for your contribution, this could be it).
- Give them importance. Roles. Meaning.
- Oh, and why so weird? Because weird works. The founder of extinction rebellion spelled out their working principle behind "open form organizing" one or two years ago - give them roles, give them purpose, but let the rest be filled in by them. Dont tell them whats right or wrong, dont tell the what to believe - let that be filled in by them, and create subgroups. Your most dedicated people will be the ones that need a purpose in their lives, and that want to have a role that suits their selfimages - which they maybe cant get outside the movement. Those will be your most dedicated.

Should be in here around the 20 min mark:

Most of those principles are very old, and you'll find them in established groups as well. Its a sort of free form self organizing, which builds an alternative narrative, that has a tendency to keep people contained in ingroups. You keep them small and self organized, you give them events. And they get something to do and something to be in their lives... Thats the basic rundown.

It works, because its effective.

That it spells out "nonsense" to most people that arent drawn to those things, is actually a feature as well. Keep those out, they ruin your group "climate".. ;) (Same as with spam. There is an 'idiot' check, somewhere in there, so you weed out the people that might not flock to this.)

Once you have "group dynamics" established - forget the highbrow fingerweaving of "how could you ever believe..:" that stuff is too potent on its own.

To get this topic back on hand. I do want to stress that I understand the psychology of the movement, that's something I am very well versed in. What I was hoping to get out of this thread was the attention of at least 1 Q supporter in the hopes of an interview. I knew from the past of dealing with groups like Q supporters, it's not often as easy as asking "Would anyone like to do an interview with me?" I've gotten a lot of "ironic" people just trying to waste my time when I directly asked for an interview.I decided to try a less direct approach possibly getting someone's attention. Which the results of this thread seem to show, I got one person's attention while I was sleeping and the rest seems to speak for itself. Although, I think this has taught me to work on my methods and maybe try either a different community and or continue waiting to hope to get some else on this thread. I can always do both.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
To get this topic back on hand. I do want to stress that I understand the psychology of the movement, that's something I am very well versed in. What I was hoping to get out of this thread was the attention of at least 1 Q supporter in the hopes of an interview. I knew from the past of dealing with groups like Q supporters, it's not often as easy as asking "Would anyone like to do an interview with me?" I've gotten a lot of "ironic" people just trying to waste my time when I directly asked for an interview.I decided to try a less direct approach possibly getting someone's attention. Which the results of this thread seem to show, I got one person's attention while I was sleeping and the rest seems to speak for itself. Although, I think this has taught me to work on my methods and maybe try either a different community and or continue waiting to hope to get some else on this thread. I can always do both.
Part of the reason of me interjecting was to also provide an angle of 'it might be linked to their internal believe systems quite strongly', so the approach to just openly ask if someone is willing to reflect about those believes -- especially when they might expect ridicule to follow because of past interactions (not with researchers, but with people more generally) might be too forward.

They are not seeking to actively recruit either, so you also would not get any public relationy folks either.

One of the expected heads of the Q movement, has now started "Alienleaks" as well. Google searchterms Alienleaks and Ron Watkins. Just fyi.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: The Catboy
D

Deleted User

This is one possible explanation of why some Q supporters still keep believing even after Joe Biden became president.
it [participant observation] shows how social evidence can be used on us–not by others, but by ourselves–to assure us that what we prefer to be true will seem to be true.

The story is an old one, requiring an examination of ancient data, for the past is dotted with millennial religious movements. Various sects and cults have prophesied that on one or another particular date there would arrive a period of redemption and great happiness for those who believed in the group's teachings. In each instance it has been predicted that the beginning of the time of salvation would be marked by an important and undeniable event, usually the cataclysmic end of the world. Of course, these predictions have invariably proved false. To the acute dismay of the members of such groups, the end has never appeared as scheduled.

But immediately following the obvious failure of the prophecy, history records an enigmatic pattern. Rather than disbanding in disillusion, the cultists often become strengthened in their convictions. Risking the ridicule of the populace, they take to the streets, publicly asserting their dogma and seeking converts with a fervor that is intensified, not diminished, by the clear disconfirmation of a central belief. So it was with the Montanists of second-century Turkey, with the Anabaptists of sixteenth-century Holland, with the Sabbataists of seventeenth-century Izmir, with the Millerites of nineteenth-century America.

Source: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion page 119-120

The full discussion is more interesting but a bit too long to be worth including here. The eBook is easy to find online for those who are interested.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, I might resume using gdevelop