Hardware HELP! Did I fry my PS4 by a simple data transfer?? (Discs NOT READING!)

LennonGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so here's the issue,,,,,,(and why I found this place)......

I had a perfectly nice running PS4 500GB, and it was pretty loaded up.

YES, I COULD have deleted stuff, and well, NOW I have NOTHING on it, but I'm jumping ahead.

So anyway, my hubby bought me a Pro 1TB model, and I decided to transfer over the data from the original console so I could continue playing my favorite games as before but on the new unit.

The transfer went flawlessly, and I was happy!

UNTIL..........(insert morbid death dirge music of choice here)....

I went back to my old console, which I had relocated to our summer home, and tried to play GTA......

"Disc not inserted"......WHAT????

YES, IT CERTAINLY IS!!!!

But I am open to the possibility that it's dirty, (I know it isn't scratched, so I eject it, I meticulously clean it, and insert it again)

It whirs, it spins, I hear a "clunk", and then...

SAME MESSAGE!

I tried different games, same problem. I tried those games in the new console, they play perfectly.

So I start doing my homework.

I try a cold reboot, no luck.

I try a full shut down and power cord pull, no luck.

After trying the "rebuild the date base option",with no success at fixing it, I try a full initialize, wiping the unit, (NOT Option 7.... I did Option 6, since I had nothing to reinstall the OS) ,which I really DIDN'T want to do, and, you guessed it....

NO LUCK.

This all started immediately after the data transfer. It was working like new before that. (The console is about 2 years old.)

So.....did the transfer of the data from the unit that is now not reading discs cause this to happen? I don't see how it could, but that's when it started, so......

CAN ANYBODY HELP??? I don't want to sink a ton of money into this thing, and frankly I am so frustrated right now I want to throw it into the river behind our house!

But before I do that, can anybody suggest something I might try that I haven't already done? And does "Option 7" ever really work at fixing this particular issue, after all the hassle of doing it??

H.E.L.P.!!

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the drive sound like it's trying to respin a bunch of times and failing to read? My PS4 launch model had an issue where it stopped running games. I took the drive out and reseated the rollers in the front of the drive and it's worked well since. The rollers are apperantly a common problem as I found the fix in a video on youtube. Either way it worked for me. Perhaps give it a go. The problem seems to be the rollers whereing out and shifting out of place. This caused the game disc not to properly seat it's self in the drive so it would fail to read the disc. (Though occasionally it worked after dozens of tries.) Either way reseating them did the trick with my machine. I hope you find the problem as a system transfer wouldn't damage any hardware like that

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the drive sound like it's trying to respin a bunch of times and failing to read? My PS4 launch model had an issue where it stopped running games. I took the drive out and reseated the rollers in the front of the drive and it's worked well since. The rollers are apperantly a common problem as I found the fix in a video on youtube. Either way it worked for me. Perhaps give it a go. The problem seems to be the rollers whereing out and shifting out of place. This caused the game disc not to properly seat it's self in the drive so it would fail to read the disc. (Though occasionally it worked after dozens of tries.) Either way reseating them did the trick with my machine. I hope you find the problem as a system transfer wouldn't damage any hardware like that

I agree, this is just a strange coincidence, a data transfer would not cause the disc drive to stop functioning for any reason. While I don't own a PS4 myself, I do a lot of console repairs and modding. If reseating the rollers doesn't work, it could just be that the laser lens is dirty. It might just need some cleaning, I haven't taken apart a PS4 as of yet, but I'm guessing by the slot loading style of the disc drive, opening it to clean the laser will be very tricky (I know the Xbox One is like that anyways).

If you decide to try cleaning the laser lens, a q-tip dampened with a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol should do the trick. The q-tip SHOULD NOT be dripping wet by any means, but I'm sure you probably know that already :P. Best of luck!

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The drive is actually pretty easy to get to on the older models. I don't know about the new models but on the old ones once you remove the base of the machine. (Strangely they are assembled pretty much from the top down.) The base comes off pretty easily once you find all the screws. From there you can simply unplug the cables attached remove a few screws and the lid on it comes right off giving access to both the laser and the rollers. May as well try both fixes at once. If that still fails I'd test your logic board to ensure that power is flowing like normal and that it's working properly. If the logic board isn't the issue you may want to attempt to replace the laser assembly. (Though it's not that expensive to just by a used drive on eBay and slap your board in either. If rebuilding certain things intimidate you) at that point if it still doesn't work I'm not sure what to recommend but check over everything and look for any kind of build up or burn marks test all the connectors with a multimeter.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then...