Hardware Hinge snapped, replaced the part but sound issue....

jaisunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So i've spent the last few hours attempting to replace part of the housing on the 3ds XL as the original hinge snapped some how.

I've replaced the part fine. Everything works except the volume.

The little grey lock mechanism that locks the ribbon cable is snapped off. So i tried to rest the ribbon cable on the port and hot glue it in. It worked once, but when i applied more glue it stopped working, i literally tried for a hour over and over. Now the ribbon has snapped on the volume button.

So i need...

1 x Volume switch
1 x ribbon socket to solder to the mainboard.

My question is...

1. Is there any other way to bypass this switch so? even if it means volume is on full blast always.
2. If not, where can i get this little ribbon switch from?. I am dreading to solder it when i do find this switch to buy, it is just way too small!.

Thanks

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I don't know for sure but I'm not sure if you should use hotglue on a flexible ribbon cable like that. Those things are fragile (not as fragile as a touch panel connector though).

Second, look on eBay for some scrap XLs and you'll have some luck finding the parts you need.

jaisunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First, I don't know for sure but I'm not sure if you should use hotglue on a flexible ribbon cable like that. Those things are fragile (not as fragile as a touch panel connector though).

Second, look on eBay for some scrap XLs and you'll have some luck finding the parts you need.

Hot glueing the ribbon in was a last resort fix, which failed, and not because it was too hot. I just couldn't get it lined up properly to glue it in place, i did once, but after applying more glue the ribbon moved and i lost connection again.

Hmmmm, ebay hunting for a faulty 3DS XL is quite pricey just for a tiny little connection. I'll keep my eye out and check though, thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: y