Aniblaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys,

So I've been using SX OS to play XCI format games for the past couple of months (since june) and have not been banned (yet). Now for the upcoming Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee, I've been thinking of editing my savegame when it's released, to get my hands on Mew, which comes on a severely overpriced Pokéball controller specific for this game. The game itself I will buy since I intend to go online with it, but I want to use 'Checkpoint' or another savegame editor to edit my savegame and add Mew to my team.

Is there any way to use homebrew that escapes the grasp of Nintendo's telemetry, while still being able to go online? As far as I understood it, you can only use homebrew and not get banned by making a clean NAND backup, use homebrew, and then prior to going online restoring the clean NAND backup. This would defeat the purpose of using 'Checkpoint' for me, as I want to play the game online, since it's not pirated.

Can you guys give me your two cents? I've also been thinking of using SX OS's cheat engine, but I don't know if that's detected by Nintendo's telemetry either.

Kind regards,
Aniblaze

TL;DR: I want to use SX OS CFW to edit my savegame in the upcoming Pokémon game to get my hands on Mew, undetected by Nintendo's telemetry, and then go online in OFW to play the game online.

Last edited by Aniblaze,

Khar00f

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally have two switches one for homebrew and other stuff and one for my purchased games.

For my "legit" one i can say for myself i have used Hekate to do a NAND backup and I've used checkpoint (twice) to backup my saves and have not been banned.

So I wa ant to say that you can, but it's at your own risk.

Also i thought i read somewhere that for pokemon the saves will be encrypted or signed so any tampering would render them compromised but don't quote me on that.

Aniblaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I personally have two switches one for homebrew and other stuff and one for my purchased games.

For my "legit" one i can say for myself i have used Hekate to do a NAND backup and I've used checkpoint (twice) to backup my saves and have not been banned.

So I wa ant to say that you can, but it's at your own risk.

Also i thought i read somewhere that for pokemon the saves will be encrypted or signed so any tampering would render them compromised but don't quote me on that.
Thanks for the info! So you've used checkpoint to restore a savegame, after which you went online? Or did you use checkpoint to backup only, and then restored a clean nand before going online?

If what you're saying about the savegames turns out to be true, and they are encrypted, then really the only way to edit anything would be in memory, where the data exists unencrypted while it's in use. Meaning SX OS's cheat engine is the only way to go, but I'm unsure if that's detected by Nintendo's telemetry.

Aniblaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I highly doubt that's possible. You should count yourself lucky that you've slipped under Nintendo's radar so far.
So far I've only used SX OS to play .XCI files offline, and only went online in OFW to update my legal and illegally obtained games, all while having my SD card removed. I've never restored a NAND backup, or wiped anything really. It's been five months now, and still no ban. I think it's ok to assume that as of right now, my way of doing things is safe. Nobody knows what the future brings, although it will probably bring more telemetry.

Anyway, if it's impossible, then I just hope I can trade my Mew from PoGo to the Switch game.

Freezerbomb

Likes tacos
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking of editing my savegame when it's released, to get my hands on Mew, which comes on a severely overpriced Pokéball controller specific for this game.

Stuff like this kinda ruins the game for everyone else. For once, I hope Nintendo adds additional telemetry. I hated getting obviously hacked pokemon in Wonder Trade.

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far I've only used SX OS to play .XCI files offline, and only went online in OFW to update my legal and illegally obtained games, all while having my SD card removed. I've never restored a NAND backup, or wiped anything really. It's been five months now, and still no ban. I think it's ok to assume that as of right now, my way of doing things is safe. Nobody knows what the future brings, although it will probably bring more telemetry.

Anyway, if it's impossible, then I just hope I can trade my Mew from PoGo to the Switch game.
I can assure you, your way of doing things is not safe. You will be banned, its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. I went months without being banned, kept an active internet connect, updated pirated games etc.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could probably extract/inject your save from a Nand backup or choidujour from RCM if all you want to do is save editing.
Since RCM happens before HOS is booted (aka telemetry hasn't started) you could do it that way to stay under Nintendo's radar.
Up to you if Mew is worth that hassle though, plus I'm sure GameFreak will have some attempt at detecting save-edits, so there's that to be wary of too.

This would of course require a pokemon let's go save-editor on PC, but I think it's safe to assume PKHex will be updated to support the newer installments.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...