How do you deal with invasive thoughts or ideas of self-harm?

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one has it easy. No one gets a free ride. Well, most of us.

Nietzsche said, and I am paraphrasing from memory, "The thought of suicide is a very comforting thing. By means of it, one gets through many a difficult night".

That always resonated with me. I don't think that the ideation of suicide is necessarily always a person seeking to die at their own hand. What struck me from that is the fact that, no matter what is going on in your life or how badly you hurt or what you are suffering, you can always choose when to check out. When to stop playing. When enough is enough, even if you have zero power over any of the other conditions in your life, you can always decide, "I'm done. I'm out. Putting the controller down. I'm done."

And the thought is comforting. To me, it is the last vestige of control for people suffering from thoughts of self-harm. Not for show. Not for attention. It's purely personal and self-contained.

I could check out any time I like, if it gets too tough. I CAN quit this game if I want to if I am no longer having fun.

I am not in the best place right now. It would be cool to maybe talk to some other people who have experiences of how they got through it without resorting to drastic measures.

Cheers.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think living in solitude and having no friends or family close is certainly a big factor, ones that can be there for you when you're not in your best shape, i'm speaking specifically about ones that are capable of listening to you and you're going through, not the judgmental & ignorant types, you don't need those..
Them "Understanding" will alleviate some of the weight of it all.
This is just a generalized take, one needs to get much deeper inward to assess accurately & make sense of what's going on internally..

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I keep repeating the same things over and over and over.

- Attempted su1c1d3 three times when I was 15/16 years old. Family thinks scars in both wrists are because my cat/dogs scratched me.

- Have a heart disease, can't get a job because of it, can't get help because my disability is not visible.

- Found joy in three things: Learning new things, Drawing and Writing.

- Exposed art in Spain, Argentina, Mexico City, got rejected in Dubai because racism.

- Won l"young's iterature award" at 17/18 two consecutive times in contests held nationally for highschool students. 3rd and 2nd place respectively amongs thousands of participants.

- Learned a bit of Japanese, French, Italian, Russian, and Portuguese.

- Used to exercise a lot, which helped me boost my self confidence. Actually... older women tried to date me.

Keeping myself occupied, working in myself, investing in myself, doing things for myself has helped me with old behaviours/thoughts.

Now I have proven myself I am able to achieve a lot of things if I want to, and that's enough for me.

I never say thanks, I never apologize, have a clean consciousness, I'm proud of myself despite not doing any of those things now.

Get to work, keep paddling, don't take things for granted and learn to love yourself, because your decisions will determine the rest of your future.

Realize you're gaining nothing with those thoughts.
Realize how to occupy your free time.
Realize that hating yourself is the worst thing you can do when the only one you have is, well, yourself.

Eat well, sleep well and occasionally go get enough sunlight.

Edit: TLDR find something you like and commit to it. This life's too short to be worried about bullshit.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No one has it easy. No one gets a free ride. Well, most of us.

Nietzsche said, and I am paraphrasing from memory, "The thought of suicide is a very comforting thing. By means of it, one gets through many a difficult night".

That always resonated with me. I don't think that the ideation of suicide is necessarily always a person seeking to die at their own hand. What struck me from that is the fact that, no matter what is going on in your life or how badly you hurt or what you are suffering, you can always choose when to check out. When to stop playing. When enough is enough, even if you have zero power over any of the other conditions in your life, you can always decide, "I'm done. I'm out. Putting the controller down. I'm done."

And the thought is comforting. To me, it is the last vestige of control for people suffering from thoughts of self-harm. Not for show. Not for attention. It's purely personal and self-contained.

I could check out any time I like, if it gets too tough. I CAN quit this game if I want to if I am no longer having fun.

I am not in the best place right now. It would be cool to maybe talk to some other people who have experiences of how they got through it without resorting to drastic measures.

Cheers.
after this place there is only darkness so live it the best you can

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would tell my parents mostly, as they are very important to me and are very close to my heart.
Post automatically merged:

:O That sounds gay.

Indeed.. Could you teach me how to "sleep well"? :D
Sleep at a fairly decent time, maybe 11pm.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have those type of thoughts because life is s gift and when we die, there's probably no afterlife, it's likely more like a computer... Shut down, period.

I don't know, maybe the first thing we'll hear after is, "Please keep your arms and legs inside the ride until it has come to a complete stop."

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👍