How long...

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
...Have you had the internet? and who was your first ISP? (Internet Service Provider.)

I've had it for 6 years now. 3 years on dial up. My first ISP was AOL and it was on Dial-up. As yes, I remember the dial tone as you connect and the moans from my parents to get off so they could use the phone. Then i got broadband for 3 years.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Internet - More than 10 years by now.
Broadband - A little more than 2 years.

We went straight from 56k to 8Mb/s in a week
smile.gif

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I've had interwebs since I was about 8/9/10ish or so (1998-2000). I remember having dialup 56kbps and then around 2000 we got ADSL. I don't have to tell you guys the first ISP because you probably won't know Belgian ones anyways ^^

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Gah xalphax. The video autoplayed and i didn't see it. And my speakers were right beside my wireless modem which then led to me hearing the dial sound and exclaiming "wtf!" my modem shouldn't be making those sounds, sounds like a dial up sound. Which then led me to turn off my modem and reset it. Hahaha thanks for the scare.

Well didn't get internet til about 2002 which was with Paradise (which was then brought out by Telstra Clear/Clear.net). And stuck with it til last year when finally got adsl. Gotta love only being able to go on msn for 15-20 mins as can't go on internet too long or someone might phone. No one ever did =/.

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
Talaria said:
Gah xalphax. The video autoplayed and i didn't see it. And my speakers were right beside my wireless modem which then led to me hearing the dial soud and exclaiming "wtf!" my modem shouldn't be making those sounds, sounds like a dial up sound. Which then led me to turn off my modem and reset it. Thanks for the scare.

;_; sorry mate, didn't mean to!

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
xalphax said:
Talaria said:
Gah xalphax. The video autoplayed and i didn't see it. And my speakers were right beside my wireless modem which then led to me hearing the dial soud and exclaiming "wtf!" my modem shouldn't be making those sounds, sounds like a dial up sound. Which then led me to turn off my modem and reset it. Thanks for the scare.

;_; sorry mate, didn't mean to!

I found it entertaining and was laughing after i realised how stupid i was.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have had internet for over 10 years I think (dial up) and it was a local company after that we got high speed internet I think it was 3 Meg down service and I got that 7 or 8 years ago from there upgraded to 5 meg service, then we moved down to 1.5 meg service from AT&T than back to dial up shortly as we were about to move then we got 1.5 meg again 2-3 years ago then we moved to 5 meg service, then I moved again and was with out internet for a couple days... Which I than had 5 meg service for about half a year which I then upgraded to 10 meg service for about the same price I was paying for my previous service.... I then upgraded to 16 meg service which I pay less for then the 10 meg...

Yea thats my internet history.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been online since around the time when I was 15 (1995) I started out connecting on 56k, like many people. Once I got my own first computer (97) I was using ISPs like netzero (which used to actually be free) and bluelight (k-mart's free ISP) I got DSL for the first time about '98, and I absolutely had a blast. No longer did I need to tie up my dad's phone line to download my music all night, and I could get songs in only 5 minutes a piece.
Since then I've gone from high-speed, to dial-up, back to high speed, back to dial-up, et cetera, ad nauseum as the economy and my employment fluxed.
Believe it or not, I'm actually using dial-up to type this .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson