Hardware How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 23,409
  • Replies 265

How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• At least on-par with the PS3/360.

Votes: 58 23.4%
  • About a half-step above the PS3/360.

Votes: 113 45.6%
  • Significantly more powerful than the PS3/360 (1.1TFLOPS+)

Votes: 77 31.0%

• Total voters

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS had the same crappy launch though. That had to do with games, not with graphical power. Just because you need one doesn't mean you don't need the other.
Exactly, Sony coming out saying "derp PS4 will be teh best graphically" means shit. Vita has proved that. It's about the games implementation of gameplay.

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, Sony coming out saying "derp PS4 will be teh best graphically" means shit. Vita has proved that. It's about the games implementation of gameplay.
Good point, but here's something else to consider: The PS3 was mostly loved by its fanbase at the time of the Vita's launch. Many Sony fans didn't see the NEED to spend $250-$300 USD on what was quite literally being marketed and pressed as a "handheld PS3" by many reviewers ("OMG IT HAZ PS3 GRAFIX, HURRDURR!!"). They didn't see the need to "carry their PS3 with them," basically.

Wii, however, has fallen into disfavor even among Nintendo fans lately. The 3DS was something fresh and new, which was welcomed.

Also, remember the 3DS was able to bank on the success and popularity of it's predecessor. The PSVita wasn't able to do the same (the DS outsold the PSP by what, like 10x or something?).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS had the same crappy launch though. That had to do with games, not with graphical power. Just because you need one doesn't mean you don't need the other.

Most consoles sales if you look back all the way back to the time of the Atari 2600, it's almost always been the weakest console that sold the most. The TG-16 would be one exception (it was weaker then the Genesis or the SNES, but I think it was still expensive so that probably had something to do with it, and it was hard to find, a lot of stores refused to carry it or where bullied by Nintendo at the time?) So Sony saying they will have the most powerful console is already a bad sign if your into history.

Either way if the Wii-U launches at a decent price, I am way interested. The controller alone makes it fantastically interesting to me... I cannot express how interested I am in playing Aliens with the motion tracker on that thing... Hell I might go to the Army surplus store to buy a helmet to wear while I play... then the neighbors can hear me yelling "GET SOME GET SOME GET SOME!!!!!" lol I might blow a blood vessel.... lol

One question I do have about the Wii-U does it support some sort of surround sound? I have a pretty nice 7.1 setup and that might make it just that much more immersive for me.

Reactions: 1 person

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good point, but here's something else to consider: The PS3 was mostly loved by its fanbase at the time of the Vita's launch. Many Sony fans didn't see the NEED to spend $250-$300 USD on what was quite literally being marketed and pressed as a "handheld PS3" by many reviewers ("OMG IT HAZ PS3 GRAFIX, HURRDURR!!"). They didn't see the need to "carry their PS3 with them," basically.

Wii, however, has fallen into disfavor even among Nintendo fans lately. The 3DS was something fresh and new, which was welcomed.

Also, remember the 3DS was able to bank on the success and popularity of it's predecessor. The PSVita wasn't able to do the same (the DS outsold the PSP by what, like 10x or something?).
That was the problem with the PSP and yet Sony repeated the same thing, btw I felt the PSP had some great games but sadly a lot didn't get get localised (like Grand Knights History) but still it was offering pretty much the same experiences that the PS2 did. This is why Nintendo has owned the handheld space, they offered stuff the home consoles didn't.

The Wii though, more than happy with what games came to it and it had some of the best games this gen but then I'm not into Halo/Call of Duty. The last year hasn't been great aside from Zelda, Xenoblade, Last Story etc though but I don't think the Wii U will have much of the same problems, I really do doubt that the next gen is going to be all that. Usually seeing what is on the PC now and in the next year is a good indication of what the next gen of consoles could be like and to be honest the Wii U is not a huge gap like the Wii was to 360 back in 2006. As I said, 2014 will be when these console will be released and even then like with PS2/PS3 and Xbox/360 we won't see much of a difference to games graphically for a year at the earliest so hopefully Wii U will hold it's own.

Reactions: 2 people

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That was the problem with the PSP and yet Sony repeated the same thing, btw I felt the PSP had some great games but sadly a lot didn't get get localised (like Grand Knights History) but still it was offering pretty much the same experiences that the PS2 did. This is why Nintendo has owned the handheld space, they offered stuff the home consoles didn't.

The Wii though, more than happy with what games came to it and it had some of the best games this gen but then I'm not into Halo/Call of Duty. The last year hasn't been great aside from Zelda, Xenoblade, Last Story etc though but I don't think the Wii U will have much of the same problems, I really do doubt that the next gen is going to be all that. Usually seeing what is on the PC now and in the next year is a good indication of what the next gen of consoles could be like and to be honest the Wii U is not a huge gap like the Wii was to 360 back in 2006. As I said, 2014 will be when these console will be released and even then like with PS2/PS3 and Xbox/360 we won't see much of a difference to games graphically for a year at the earliest so hopefully Wii U will hold it's own.

That seems like a good estimate of where things stand, I think the Wii-U hits a good balance of power VS price (at least going by the rumors, if they are to be believed.) if Sony and Microsoft do decide to go balls out on power, I don't think it will help them any unless they can do it and still remain price competitive.

Edit: I think that is what happened with the PSP and is happening with the Vita now, Nintendo just was simply cheaper and by the time Sony was able to sell enough units to lower its prices, Nintendo had more games on its system so it was just an uphill battle the entire time for Sony on the PSP.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
The Wii U won't be in the same position as the Wii simply because it has a modern architecture and the gap isn't as wide. With the Wii, the PS360 were about 20x more powerful than it. It won't be the same this time. Looking at the rumours, the PS4/720 will be at most 4x more powerful than the Wii U which will still allow for ports. If the Wii U doesn't get multiplats, it won't be power holding it back like the Wii (not that I care since I'll be playing multiplats on my PC).

I expect next-gen games to generally look like Watch Dogs and Star Wars: 1313. Those games were running on a GTX 680, a GPU likely more powerful than next-gen consoles.

watch_dog-1ak74j.gif

But honestly, seeing Nintendo games such as Metroid and Zelda in HD will be enough for me. Having an actual Zelda game that looks like the Zelda demo we seen at E3 2011 will be more than satisfying.

zelda1bu1l.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    My kitty was watching me play. <3 <3 <3
    its a game that came out a few days ago. Its on Game Pass too.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, but what is the game about?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Never heard of it. Any good?
    You control a kitten. You fall out the window and have to make your way back home. Solve some light puzzles, do cat things like knock stuff over and steal things, trip people up when theyre walking, pounce on birds, complete goals/tasks etc. in the process of getting back to your home.
    +1
    I think ones enjoyment would depend on how much a person loves cats. :)
    +1
    Theres my kitty watching me play.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I'm a cat person so this game must be for me. :D
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, sounds kinda neat
    @SylverReZ It's short but adorable imo. Im a HUGE cat lover.Can be completed in a couple of hours if just going for the main goals. But can be stretched out a good deal by exploring and doing everything there is to do and see.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, like a cat gta?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Reminds me of a similar game called "Neko Atsume", similar to Nintendogs but you look after cats.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, wasnt there an official nintendogs game with cats for the 3ds?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ill have no wifi for a bit so see ya later
    +2
    Gross. lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Ok seeya.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man goes to the doctor because his boner wont go down. As he is laying in the hospital bed, with his thing propped up in the air, a fly is flying around and landing on the tip and bothering him, so he calls in the nurse. The nurse comes in, swats at the fly but can't quite reach it, so she climbs his boner to get better aim. After a few tries of swatting and sliding back down, she says sorry I cant get it. He says keep going, a few more tries, and I can shoot the fly down.
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Can I get his ☎️ # :shy::blush:
    +2
    oowpf What a work out it would be to help the guy get back down to normal :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't know why pizza hut has fries now
    You're joking right?
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: You're joking right?