How to create and restore backups of downloaded games?

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Since I only have an 8 GB Wii U which doesn't have the capacity to store all the downloadable games I own, I thought it would be useful if I could make backups of them all on my SD card and reinstall them from there whenever I need. That seems like it should be faster than having to redownload them from the eShop every time. And it would be future-proof, since it's clearly only a matter of time before Nintendo shuts that down entirely.

However, it's been a real struggle to figure out how to do this. I found a tool called Dumpling that can dump my installed titles in the form of their actual decrypted files. Which is great for datamining, but from what I can gather, it's not possible to reinstall them in this state.

If I understand correctly, I'm then supposed to repack them with a tool called NUSPacker, but the first post of its dedicated thread scares me. It actively warns people that this tool is experimental and should never be used to install anything to the SysNAND, which I believe is all I have. (Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still new to Wii U modding.) And it also has a link to something called a patched IOSU. I don't know if I have that already or require it. It also sounds like this tool may need an encryption key, but I don't know where to find that either. In short, I have no idea how I'm supposed to use NUSPacker and even if I did, I'd never do it without someone first confirming that it's indeed the right tool for the job and has no risk of bricking my Wii U.

If I understand correctly, the last step of the process would then involve using another tool called WUP Installer GX2 to reinstall the repacked games.

So am I right that this is the recommended way to handle this? And that contrary to the warning I found, it's completely safe to do? If so, how do I use NUSPacker? If not, what am I supposed to do instead?

Note that I'm using Tiramisu. I didn't bother installing Aroma, but I can take care of that if it's necessary.

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Buy an external HDD, and install games via wup gx2.
While I was in the process of creating this thread, I did learn that excessively writing to the NAND is apparently not recommended because it'll reduce its life expectancy, so I'm open to buying an HDD to rectify that.

But does that make the installation process itself simpler? That is to say, can WUP Installer GX2 just install the raw decrypted files I received from Dumpling to it?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I was in the process of creating this thread, I did learn that excessively writing to the NAND is apparently not recommended because it'll reduce its life expectancy, so I'm open to buying an HDD to rectify that.

But does that make the installation process itself simpler? That is to say, can WUP Installer GX2 just install the raw decrypted files I received from Dumpling to it?

You should source your game online if you want to have a backup around, you can get content from like Wii U USB helper, and install them with WUP Installer.

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
You should source your game online if you want to have a backup around, you can get content from like Wii U USB helper, and install them with WUP Installer.
So are you telling me that illegal copies are the only ones suitable for backup purposes? That is to say, there's no method to properly back up legal copies? Not that I necessarily oppose piracy or anything, but it seems really weird to me to pirate games I own because that's the only way to make backups.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are you telling me that illegal copies are the only ones suitable for backup purposes? That is to say, there's no method to properly back up legal copies? Not that I necessarily oppose piracy or anything, but it seems really weird to me to pirate games I own because that's the only way to make backups.

Probably easier for you to source from like Wii U usb helper, I assume you want to be able to install games and have a backup of the files to reinstall if needed.

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Probably easier for you to source from like Wii U usb helper, I assume you want to be able to install games and have a backup of the files to reinstall if needed.
Okay, so it is theoretically possible to back up your own copies, but such a pain that it's not worth doing? I guess I can live with it in that case. And yes, that is the reason I want backups.

I've got to say, from what I've seen of it so far, I'm not impressed with the state of Wii U modding. It just looks like a confusing mess full of limitations. I'm starting to see why some say it's not worth it. Though I guess I should be satisfied if I can get games installed somehow.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
iirc dumpling creates loadiine-like dumps.
In theory, you can pack each title with nuspacker, so you can install the games with wupinstallergx2 or nusspli.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you went to the political section, then you'll tell me.