Tutorial  Updated

How to flash the HWFLY Clone chips

See below for updates.

IF YOU BREAK YOUR BOOT0 PIN. DO NOT DM ME ASKING FOR HELP. THAT'S IT. YOU BREAK THAT PIN AND YOU CANT FLASH. YOUR CHIP IS STUCK WITH WHATEVER HWFLY PUT ON IT

Pre-requisites:

• Raspberry Pi Zero W
    • You may use another flasher if you desire.
  • Pinout Diagram
  • Modchip Diagram
  • FULL_CHIP_STOCK.bin
  • Modchip Diagram, find the PA9(TX) and the PA10(RX) pins on your modchip, and do the following:
    • Connect GPIO14(TX) on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the PA10(RX) pin on your modchip.
    • Connect GPIO15(RX) on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the PA9(TX) pin on your modchip.

1. Solder a wire to each of the following pinouts on the Raspberry Pi Zero W:
    • 3.3V
    • Ground
    • GPIO 14 (UART TX)
    • GPIO 15 (UART RX)
  2. Do the following to prepare the modchip:
    1. Lift pin 44 (also known as BOOT0).
    2. You will need a way to power the chip, so you need to find two 3.3v points. It can be on a MOSFET, but it will differ based on the revision of the modchip.
    3. Connect Ground on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the Ground pin on your modchip.
    4. Check the Modchip Diagram, find the PA9(TX) and the PA10(RX) pins on your modchip, and do the following:
      • Connect GPIO14(TX) on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the PA10(RX) pin on your modchip.
      • Connect GPIO15(RX) on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the PA9(TX) pin on your modchip.
  3. Boot your Raspberry Pi Zero W and do the following:
    1. In the terminal, type the following command, and press enter:
      Bash:
      sudo nano /boot/config.txt
    2. Add the following line to the end of the file:
      INI:
      dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
    3. Press CTRL + X to save and exit the editor.
    4. In the terminal, type the following command, and press enter:
      Bash:
      sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
    5. Remove the following line from the file:
      INI:
      console=serial0,115200
    6. Press CTRL + X to save and exit the editor.
    7. Restart your Raspberry Pi with this command
      Bash:
      sudo /sbin/reboot
    8. In the terminal, type the following commands, and press enter after each command:

Bash:
      git clone https://github.com/Pheeeeenom/stm32flash.git
      cd stm32flash
      sudo make install
  4. Now you will flash the modchip.
    Note: This will remove read protection, and the modchip will wipe itself (that is what we want).
    1. In the terminal, type the following command, and press enter:
      Bash:
      stm32flash -k /dev/serial0
    2. Now to flash Spacecraft-NX Version 0.2.0, type the following, and press enter:
      Bash:
      stm32flash -v -w ./FULL_CHIP_STOCK.bin /dev/serial0
  5. Once you're done flashing your modchip, remove the wiring from the modchip, and restore the 3.3v pin on the modchip to its original position.

Please post pictures of your work here to further the identification of the different board revisions!

UPDATE: So it seems like stitching the spacecraft bootloader and firmware together from the repo causes unstable glitching behaviors. For now, consistent glitching behavior works with this bootload/firmware combo.
This is the original file on the OLED variant chip which has 0.2.0 spacecraft. As for glitching, I'll figure it out, give me some time...unless someone else wants to hop in and reverse the differences.

For now, this at least solves the 0.1.0 HWFLY gen 3 issue. More to come.

UPDATE 2: This is only going to work on some HWFLY chips. Older ones use higher protection than the new revisions that seem to use the QFN FPGA.

UPDATE 3: This should fully work on OLED modchips with the QFN FPGA. https://github.com/Pheeeeenom/firmware

Last edited by Mena,

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Makes sense if they'd be legit and are still working on a lite clone too.
Agreed that it wouldn't make sense if they had actual pictures and links to install diagrams for lite, but they don't.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
SX Lite can be updated - HWFLY Lite however can't
I want to buy a modchip for my lite, on aliexpress I can see a seller has the option of:
"sx for switch lite"
and
"hwfly lite"
the sx is a little bit more expensive, but it's definitely the better one to get?
It seems the latest firmware we can flash to the hwfly chips is very good, so maybe that is an improvement over sx?

Last edited by cearp,

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to buy a modchip for my lite, on aliexpress I can see a seller has the option of:
"sx for switch lite"
and
"hwfly lite"
the sx is a little bit more expensive, but it's definitely the better one to get?
It seems the latest firmware we can flash to the hwfly chips is very good, so maybe that is an improvement over sx?
It depends - the HWFLY Lite probably does everything most people want, which is boot Hekate (or payload.bin) from SD.
But you can't update it and you have to ask yourself if you even want to update it.

The SX Lite however can be flashed/updated with HWFLY-NX FW.
Apart from probably glitching/training faster, enabling debug access and correctly set up Mariko units for Android/Linux usage, it does nothing more than the cheaper HWFLY Lites.

So the choice is up to you realy.

xdMatthewbx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the extra $9 I will get the sx lite, thanks for your advice :)
Yeah just a good idea in general if an original is available for a similar price it's almost always worth the extra few bucks for the virtually guaranteed support for firmware. Only exception to that I'd say would maybe be for the OLED assuming your other option is the flashable one. Much easier to install and also has good firmware.

Reactions: cearp

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking about swapping my tx lite chip for hwfly lite just so that I can update spacecraft and install in my oled. Any thoughts? Worth the work?

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about swapping my tx lite chip for hwfly lite just so that I can update spacecraft and install in my oled. Any thoughts? Worth the work?
Personally I think so, the TX SX Lite is the best performing chip to use in the OLED. It's better & faster with glitching with the new 0.6.1 Bootloader & Firmware, both of which you should flash with the Micro USB flex with your computer before trying in install it into your OLED. That latest FW release has diagnostic LED status colors that can help you if you run into any issues while trying to install the SX Lite into your OLED. The installation of the SX Lite is harder than the newer 6 wire OLED clone chips so make sure you have the correct tools & the right skill level to be able to do it.

Reactions: White_Raven_X

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Personally I think so, the TX SX Lite is the best performing chip to use in the OLED.
Disagreed. Performance of sx lite and 6-wire oled chip is identical. There is no observable difference whatsoever. Install of 6-wire version is much easier and cleaner, and they are cheaper. For OLED, the choice is obvious.

It's better & faster with glitching with the new 0.6.1 Bootloader & Firmware
Nonsense.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
0.61 + SD setup.enc on OLED = Fast glitch = real nice.
Disagreed. Performance of sx lite and 6-wire oled chip is identical. There is no observable difference whatsoever. Install of 6-wire version is much easier and cleaner, and they are cheaper. For OLED, the choice is obvious.

Nonsense.
100% agreed. 0.61 glitches fast consistently on both.

Reactions: doom95

White_Raven_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just read this info here saying that any hwfly can be firmware updated.... Is this right?
*edit: my bad, it's the "oled" hwfly version only with the square board.

https://github.com/hwfly-nx/firmware/releases/tag/0.6.2

He writes 3 ways how to do it at the bottom.

Also 0.6.2 just released 15 hours ago.

Last edited by White_Raven_X,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another version? Is the bootloader updated at all or just the firmware part? I just got 0.6.1 installed very recently. I’m out for the weekend though and have some assembly to do before I can attempt to train the chip. If the bootloader itself is all that’s updated, I think I’ll see if I can get it running first, and just update it with the toolbox.

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Changes of 0.6.2 are no big deal. They might help with training on devices which don't glitch easily. Bootloader is untouched.
In case of actual big deal-breaking changes, 0.7.0 will be published instead.

White_Raven_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another version? Is the bootloader updated at all or just the firmware part? I just got 0.6.1 installed very recently. I’m out for the weekend though and have some assembly to do before I can attempt to train the chip. If the bootloader itself is all that’s updated, I think I’ll see if I can get it running first, and just update it with the toolbox.
Just added diagnostics led it seems.

blend800

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
unfortunately it didn't work
the Erista ipatched gets stuck in the black screen with a green flashing LED on the SXCore

gamer0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chipnx released R030beta!!

2022-03-08_20-25-31.jpg

2022-03-08_20-17-47.jpg

Last edited by gamer0,

_Marco_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello...
I have received a lite chip which I can not update.
It doesn't work via USB and I can't find a diagram for the ST-Linker.

Does it make sense to install this chip as it is or better not ?

• Sad
Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1