Humble Bundle acquired by IGN

humblebundle128.jpg

Humble Bundle, the PC game and software retailer that's well-known for giving some of it's proceeds to charity, will now be joining IGN's parent company, according to a press release today. Humble Bundle claims that the acquisition won't be affecting what Humble Bundle currently does, and will only assist them by providing more funding for the company. Humble will now be a part of Ziff Davis, a larger corporation that currently owns other properties like PC Magazine, IGN, Speedtest, and more.

John and I started Humble Bundle from our childhood homes. When our parents found out that our “big idea” was basically the honor system of pay-what-you-want plus charity, they braced themselves for the possibility that we might never move out. Seven years later, thanks to the generosity of over 10 million customers, we’ve now raised $106 million for charity. We are incredibly proud of this figure, of our team, and the Humble community which got us here.

But as far as we’ve come, we know we are just getting started. Even bigger things lie ahead, and we think IGN is the perfect partner to help us get there.

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how I feel about this. Hopefully they will continue to support DRM-free games. A major company distributing DRM-free content would be a good thing for the industry.
GOG says hi. I get what you're saying though. Some of the deals were too good to pass up. Need more DRM free distributors though.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are looking for other bundle sites https://www.bundlestars.com sells a lot of inidi games but occasionally they do a few really cheap current games for instance Kingdom new lands is only £2.75 on there right now whilst its £11 on Steam and Humble. If you want to track deals on bundles this website is great http://www.indiegamebundles.com/category/gamebundles/

Not sure how I feel about this move by Humble, only time will tell I guess, but the news article was enough to get me to post on here in quite a while

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Humble Bundle used to be so great... Remember when everything had to be DRM-free and available on Windows/Mac/Linux?

Yup I remember actually giving above the average too, to support devs and a good cause. It was always something special when a humble bundle came around.
It also gave small indie games a chance to actually be seen and played by people who would likely otherwise never find it.

Not to say I don't enjoy HB these days, but that's purely from a cost efficiency standpoint. There's basically nothing to support anymore, it's simply a business strategy. It's a great one for gamers, but it did cost Humble their identity as a company, and losing the vision and reason they once followed. With that, most of their standards went out the window as well.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Same here: no idea what this will bring. I'm not so sure whether this will work. I mean: reviewing sites have to focus on new games, whereas humble bundle can't but work by bringing older (but good) games back into the limelight.

I guess the basic question becomes: will ign be better at selecting bundle games then currently? What about the other bundles (software, books, even mobile games)? Or the occasional ps4 or Nintendo bundles? I guess time will tell...:unsure:

(Though they could've picked a better announcement date than Friday the thirteenth :P )

Reactions: Xabring

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup I remember actually giving above the average too, to support devs and a good cause. It was always something special when a humble bundle came around.
It also gave small indie games a chance to actually be seen and played by people who would likely otherwise never find it.

Not to say I don't enjoy HB these days, but that's purely from a cost efficiency standpoint. There's basically nothing to support anymore, it's simply a business strategy. It's a great one for gamers, but it did cost Humble their identity as a company, and losing the vision and reason they once followed. With that, most of their standards went out the window as well.
I wanna say the THQ bundle was the first one where they said "**** it, games don't need DRM-free Linux support for us to sell them anymore"

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Damn... I remember when i got that great telltale and THQ and a couple other games that I can't remember. I would only do humble bundle if they had an unbelievable deal. Guess those days are gone

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned, Humble Bundle kind of lost it's original identity ages ago now, I fully expect this buyout to change virtually nothing important when it comes to how Humble Bundle operates. At best I see them integrating IGN review scores into the site and that's it.

Though it'd be funny if they had bundles based on IGN review scores. "Get the 8/10 bundle now, with 10 games that scored 8/10 on IGN so they must be good!"

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
"Humble Bundle claims that the acquisition won't be affecting what Humble Bundle currently does"

*insert FFX laugh scene*

This almost never happens, why would a company buy another company and not change it? Anyways I've always wonder how much of the money I've spent on there goes to charity. I would be surprise if it was anywhere near 5%.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This almost never happens, why would a company buy another company and not change it? Anyways I've always wonder how much of the money I've spent on there goes to charity. I would be surprise if it was anywhere near 5%.
I mean, whatever you set the charity slider to? Minus the payment processing fees and stuff, whatever you set the charity slider to Humble gives away to Paypal's charity thing when you buy the bundles. IIRC the default sliders if you never change it is like 15% to charities, 60% to devs, and 25% as humble's "tip".

And then all store proceeds give 5% of the purchase price to whatever charity you want, with an optional 5% boost to either the charity (for a total of 10%), or 5% to Humble "rewards" (whatever that is).

Reactions: Kioku

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Humble Bundle lost its soul years ago. They're just a for profit business these days, with a tiny % going to charity for the sake of their public image.

I fully expect this wont hinder anything Humble Bundle currently does. Hell it might increase what they do.
You do realize there is a slider right? You can even pick what charity you want.

Reactions: nIxx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.livescience.com/59831-cotton-candy-grapes.html#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20Cotton%20Can...