Humble Bundle acquired by IGN

humblebundle128.jpg

Humble Bundle, the PC game and software retailer that's well-known for giving some of it's proceeds to charity, will now be joining IGN's parent company, according to a press release today. Humble Bundle claims that the acquisition won't be affecting what Humble Bundle currently does, and will only assist them by providing more funding for the company. Humble will now be a part of Ziff Davis, a larger corporation that currently owns other properties like PC Magazine, IGN, Speedtest, and more.

John and I started Humble Bundle from our childhood homes. When our parents found out that our “big idea” was basically the honor system of pay-what-you-want plus charity, they braced themselves for the possibility that we might never move out. Seven years later, thanks to the generosity of over 10 million customers, we’ve now raised $106 million for charity. We are incredibly proud of this figure, of our team, and the Humble community which got us here.

But as far as we’ve come, we know we are just getting started. Even bigger things lie ahead, and we think IGN is the perfect partner to help us get there.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did not see that one coming. I suppose if I sat down and thought about it a sales platform was going to be the way forward for IGN (it seems to be the way for many places) but still did not see it coming.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, what you're telling me is that I'm better off buying on Grey market sites now.

The level of stupidity in that statement is pretty mindblowing.
Even if HB profits were to shift, it would still be better for devs if you were to buy their game via Humble Bundle. Grey market sites primarily sell stolen keys that have a massive impact on dev profits. Grey market purchases in essence are paying for a pirated game, because 99/100 times, the key you purchase made the dev $0. Sellers use all sorts of tricks to get keys and chargeback the cost, as well as other scummy shit. Since Steam began cracking down on out-of-region codes, most sellers moved to the shadier practices since that avenue was no longer viable. About the most legitimate they get is when people sell games that were on sale or in a HB for a bit above, but that practice is pretty sparse these days when other sellers are willingly to greatly undercut them for faster sales.
There's probably a hundred videos out there on exactly how and why sites like G2A are absolute toxic shit for the industry if you want a better explanation.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now when i visit, i'm gonna start seeing "IGN gave this game 3 of 5 stars" or something right? I mean, i don't buy games based on ratings anyway just get what i like. I mean the site is called humble bundle, i usually go for bundles, not really a single product. Steam sales are cheap as it is but the bundles are what people seem to want more. No more guilt free purchases. :ninja:

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The level of stupidity in that statement is pretty mindblowing.
Even if HB profits were to shift, it would still be better for devs if you were to buy their game via Humble Bundle. Grey market sites primarily sell stolen keys that have a massive impact on dev profits. Grey market purchases in essence are paying for a pirated game, because 99/100 times, the key you purchase made the dev $0. Sellers use all sorts of tricks to get keys and chargeback the cost, as well as other scummy shit. Since Steam began cracking down on out-of-region codes, most sellers moved to the shadier practices since that avenue was no longer viable. About the most legitimate they get is when people sell games that were on sale or in a HB for a bit above, but that practice is pretty sparse these days when other sellers are willingly to greatly undercut them for faster sales.
There's probably a hundred videos out there on exactly how and why sites like G2A are absolute toxic shit for the industry if you want a better explanation.

Somehow I knew you, of everyone on this site would get triggered. No shit these gray markets are a no go. Can't believe you thought I was serious? Even if it is IGN, I can't begin to see how they could destroy HB. Aside from a bias.. But yeah... We'll see.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Deleted User

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Not all games. Just the ones that pay for their good reviews.
I don't think you get the joke. IGN now makes money from all game sales through Humble Bundle. The better they rate a game on Humble Bundle, the more likely they are to make money.
Grey market sites primarily sell stolen keys that have a massive impact on dev profits.
Do you have anything to back that statistic up?

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you get the joke. IGN now makes money from all game sales through Humble Bundle. The better they rate a game on Humble Bundle, the more likely they are to make money.

Do you have anything to back that statistic up?

Sites like G2A and Kinguin have been known to host stolen games and virtual currencies. No way to verify a legitimate key.

Can't say it's "primarily" a problem though. There's actually nothing to prove that most of the keys are stolen or illegitimate.

Last edited by Kioku,

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Sites like G2A and Kinguin have been known to host stolen games and virtual currencies. No way to verify a legitimate key.

Can't say it's "primarily" a problem though. There's actually nothing to prove that most of the keys are stolen or illegitimate.
That's what I'm saying. To suggest that 99/100 times it's stolen is absolutely ridiculous. The basis of the sites is that you can buy a game on sale, then make money by selling it for a little more. All the keys I've gotten have been scanned pictures of keys inside game boxes, suggesting they are legit.

Reactions: Kioku

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've given out games from humble-bundle on psx-place. several games in fact. however, there would be pos who would make fake accounts just to take what I wanted to give good members. I changed my way of doing this with my second giveaway. this was when I had no money like now. I still felt the urge to give away games.

Reactions: Kioku

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Whose triggered, monkey?
We'll answer that question with the rest of your post. :P
Is that every moron's response to getting shit on by logic?
Dude bro it was a joke bro why you triggered bro.
Given how stupid you prove yourself to be in just about every post you've ever made on this site, i'm inclined to believe you were very serious. I don't care one way or the other, it's educational regardless. I wasn't aware I needed to be triggered to inform someone who is otherwise ignorant.
Chill out man. :lol:

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Whose triggered, monkey?
Is that every moron's response to getting shit on by logic?
Dude bro it was a joke bro why you triggered bro.
Given how stupid you prove yourself to be in just about every post you've ever made on this site, i'm inclined to believe you were very serious. I don't care one way or the other, it's educational regardless. I wasn't aware I needed to be triggered to inform someone who is otherwise ignorant.
There's your true colors! You get pissy over anything and everything and pretend you're a God amongst men. If you're not triggered, then you're just salty. Take your pick. It's not a secret that those sites are best avoided. Any "monkey" can figure that out. Someday you'll get over yourself huh?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Humble Bundle lost its soul years ago. They're just a for profit business these days, with a tiny % going to charity for the sake of their public image.

I fully expect this wont hinder anything Humble Bundle currently does. Hell it might increase what they do.
Humble Bundle used to be so great... Remember when everything had to be DRM-free and available on Windows/Mac/Linux?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1