Hacking Hardware HWfly-shaped Picofly boards start shipping in China

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I am answering my own questions:

The chip is as expected, fully updateable! All you need is the proper USB adapter. The old one with micro USB is not working anymore, you need the USB-C version!
Post automatically merged:

After flashed with the latest firmware, it also shows details under "Chip Info"!

As I didn't install the chip by myself, I have no idea why the guy used hot glue to fix the fix and secured the wires.
Are there any problems when doing so?

I wanted to have the latest firmware on the chip as I had an unkown version installed, not updateable by software.
The chip worked fine, but it looks like that the chip boots faster into Hekate now with 2.74. As it should by reading the changelog of the picofly firmware...
Btw. The chip bootlogo, whithout sd card inserted, was ealier like the one from the HWfly firmware, now it is the picofly screen in my case.
Hot glue is hard to clean and pretty much ruins the board if you happen to remove it or diagnose in the future. Adhesives that dissolve with IPA is best when dealing with PCB. Only inexperienced use hotglue.

DuffGnR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a problem, I installed the RP2040 which is very similar to the HWFly model, but it always boots in emunand and sometimes I can boot in OFW, but sometimes it hangs on the Nintendo Switch logo when I try to boot in OFW, or it gives an error 2002-3539 /3540, does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I also get slower mode messages when I try to create an emunand, backup and sometimes when doing a benchmark in emmc, but sometimes everything passes normally.
Has anyone already solved this problem and would know an effective way?

StormySky16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know what points would need to be soldered if you want to install the RP2040 Core into an OLED? I imagine it should be possible.

cgtchy0412

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I have a problem, I installed the RP2040 which is very similar to the HWFly model, but it always boots in emunand and sometimes I can boot in OFW, but sometimes it hangs on the Nintendo Switch logo when I try to boot in OFW, or it gives an error 2002-3539 /3540, does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I also get slower mode messages when I try to create an emunand, backup and sometimes when doing a benchmark in emmc, but sometimes everything passes normally.
Has anyone already solved this problem and would know an effective way?
Clean you cmd, clk solder point on the motherboard. Redo them if necessary.

Does anyone know what points would need to be soldered if you want to install the RP2040 Core into an OLED? I imagine it should be possible.
Its the same points used by normal hwfly.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I just bought this hwfly oled chip. I have experience installing instinct nx on oled previously. Now after reading these couple of pages it seems that this chip is a bit daunting to use as it has caused lotsa issues.

Do i need to mod anything to this chip prior installing to my oled or is there any chance that i can just install this and the switch will work as it should? Anyone had success with these chips on oled?

Attachments

• IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I just bought this hwfly oled chip. I have experience installing instinct nx on oled previously. Now after reading these couple of pages it seems that this chip is a bit daunting to use as it has caused lotsa issues.

Do i need to mod anything to this chip prior installing to my oled or is there any chance that i can just install this and the switch will work as it should? Anyone had success with these chips on oled?
It's alright so long you don't have that bitch called hynix.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just an update regarding the rp2040

Just an update regarding this. So i just manage to do 2 oled installation using these board.

On 1st oled it manage to boot up to cfw however its not 100%. Its like 50% success rate. Wierd behavior. When it fails, leds just stay at blue, then it will boot to ofw. All soldered points seems normal value. Very wierd behavior

On 2nd oled didnt manage to glitch. Led stays blue then it boots to ofw. Checked all points seems normal value. Cant figure out why cant glitch.

Not sure if its me or these board are very unpredictable. Previously ive used Instinct nx board seems working all the time.

Anyone might have led light status error code to diagnose issue with these board?

cherup

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Just an update regarding this. So i just manage to do 2 oled installation using these board.

On 1st oled it manage to boot up to cfw however its not 100%. Its like 50% success rate. Wierd behavior. When it fails, leds just stay at blue, then it will boot to ofw. All soldered points seems normal value. Very wierd behavior

On 2nd oled didnt manage to glitch. Led stays blue then it boots to ofw. Checked all points seems normal value. Cant figure out why cant glitch.

Not sure if its me or these board are very unpredictable. Previously ive used Instinct nx board seems working all the time.

Anyone might have led light status error code to diagnose issue with these board?
They should be compatible with PicoFly FW - so error codes (blink codes) are similar.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

50% chance means only one thing, one of your solder joints is barely making contact.
For the other switch try to reset the other chip.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
50% chance means only one thing, one of your solder joints is barely making contact.
For the other switch try to reset the other chip.
Update 1

The 1st console seems ok already.

I did redo my installation with my 2nd switch using whole new set and cable just in case. Rechecked all values post installation and all seems ok. Try booting, led keeps blue for long time but fail glitching and went into ofw. I honestly dont think its my installation since both installation i got the same values on all points.

Hit a hard wall on why this chip is giving me such a headache getting it to work. Seems like a hit or miss kinda this

I havent tried resetting the chip as u suggested. How do you reset the chip?

I also havent tried flashing another firmware. Any firmware version suggested?

----------------------------------------------------

Update 2

OK what a dimwit. it seems the preinstalled firmware was the issue ffs...

flashed nuke. then installed 2.73. and it magically works. shouldve tried this sooner. wasted so much time

Last edited by Kawaii,

Superghetto420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update 1

I did redo my installation with my 2nd switch using whole new set and cable just in case. Rechecked all values post installation and all seems ok. Try booting, led keeps blue for long time but fail glitching and went into ofw. I honestly dont think its my installation since both installation i got the same values on all points.

Hit a hard wall on why this chip is giving me such a headache getting it to work. Seems like a hit or miss kinda this

Update 2

flashed nuke. then installed 2.73. and it magically works. shouldve tried this sooner. wasted so m
Update 1

Update 2

flashed nuke. then installed 2.73. and it magically works. shouldve tried this sooner. wasted so much time
I feel like your wasted made my time wasted less thanks for the heads up for sure

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Update 1

Update 2

did you add any resistor on any point? mine seem to not work, it show hekate when install SD card but in slow emmc mode.

Loko4

Trophies
Website
www.loko4.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, can you guys answer me an doubt.

Installed an hwfly picofly instinct v1, all fine, is working.

But in the end of the install it is required cut the aluminium backplate where the chip will stay or the pressure is not an problem? Already trimmed the backplate in the part of the flat pass the hole.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
did you add any resistor on any point? mine seem to not work, it show hekate when install SD card but in slow emmc mode.
So far i did 4 installation. Didnt have to add additional resistors and did not have slow emmc problem. I do find that at times these chips are slightly less reliable than instinctnx where sometime it fails to boot to cfw and go to ofw instead.

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
So far i did 4 installation. Didnt have to add additional resistors and did not have slow emmc problem. I do find that at times these chips are slightly less reliable than instinctnx where sometime it fails to boot to cfw and go to ofw instead.
Yeah. I did change to v6 hwfly and the device work fine. I think this type of oled chip is incomplete( need to add resistors).

minimanimo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Hi everybody, I am looking for some help here.

Long story short: I soldered the hwfly rp2040 (but basically is a clone based on picofly) and after after some problems, i got to a state where the modchip booted to the "No sd card" screen. So I was ready to close it.

I did various power-on tests while closing it. Until the metal cover was closed, it worked (booting to the screen mentioned). The moment I closed the black cover, the switch no longer turned on.

I disassembled everything, the modchip gives the following error (with led blinking): *== No eMMC CMD1 request (poor wiring, or dead CPU)

I'm posting screenshots, but basically I covered the metal plate where to allocate the modchip with kapton tape. I have also cut the cover to accommodate it. I have the impression that when closing, the modchip touched somehow the emmc board, which was not protected with kapton. Or something else. Also, I didn't even put the kapton above the capacitor soldered to the adapter (but I don't think it touched the metal cover).

So I unsoldered everything, cleaned the CPU, inserted the emmc in the original housing. Nothing, black screen here too.
A user in the other post assumes a problem with the emmc, probably hardware.
When I press the power button and the modchip powers up, that's why I talk about "black screen".

Somebody can help me?
Thanks in advance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've been on since 9.0 +1