Hyperkin is bringing back the Xbox 360 controller for the current gen

xboxnxonx.png

The defacto gamepad for PC and Xbox gaming circa 2005 is making a return. After resurrecting the original Xbox "duke" controller, Hyperkin is bringing back the Xbox 360 gamepad, 17 years after its debut. It's referred to as the Xenon controller, and looks just like the original 360 controller, with a few modernizations; it sports Menu, View, and Share buttons now, uses USB-C, and has a 3.5mm headphone jack. There are four colors available, ranging from the original white, to the 360 Slim-styled black, pink, and red. No pricing was revealed, but Hyperkin's original Xbox controller retailed for $70 when it came out, so it'll likely be around that price range.

:arrow: Source

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's kinda wild just how tough it is to find a first party Xbox 360 controller in decent condition. Just tried looking for one recently for an old 360 with two busted controllers, and had a weirdly hard time finding one.

Reactions: CoolMe

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesn't support the chatpad I don't really care.
That controller would make more sense now given the popularity of the Steam Deck. Why? Both have analog sticks on the top.

It could have been great for shooting games, but being that it was a Wii U controller there wasn't much of that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to the dpad is not great crowd. Adopting the bug for bug approach can be done when reverse engineering things but you hope it is just a step along the way of iterating to something good.

That said if it is reasonable to rip it out, 3d print/mill a replacement cover and get a nice microswitch dpad installed instead then consider me interested.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alrighty then...

Alrighty then...

If it's nearly identical then it's almost plagiarism, but they have the license to do it so it's not.

Admittedly, the 360 controller was/is an excellent controller (except the d-pad).

You mean like almost stealing or something? LOL! "It's close to the same so it's almost plagiarism, but it's not the same so it's not." "Almost plagiarism"??? :rofl2:

I really liked the controller. But yeah, the D-pad was horrible..

same for me. terrible dpad. even the adjustable dpad sucks ass.

Fix the d-pad and it would be my perfect controller. Don't mind the Xbox one & Xbox Series controller, but prefer the 360 controller over them. Just the d-pad sucked.

Still far better than the "click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click" from the Series S/X d-pad.

Isn't that the same thing with a different name?

Nope. Different size, different buttons, different triggers, different d-pad.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
@Chary What do you mean bring it back? It never went away. You can buy an MSI GC30 and it's an XBox 360 controller, and a lot of other third party brands will be too, it just doesn't have the XBox logo. 360 brought and standardized XInput.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mimicking a good controller for a terrible system... oh, the irony! :rofl2:
Was the 360 a terrible system? It had plenty of games, grunt where it counted, barring the first few iterations (usually best to write such things off in any large engineering project) ultimately was pretty reliable. I am none too great a fan of it truly popularising paid online but it was sort of a thing during the dial up era, the original xbox had it too, and World of Warcraft was not even the first big MMO that had a monthly subscription so at that point almost an inevitability.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The d-pad is slightly different and it has an extra bind-able button.

D-pad is far more than "slightly different" and there are more changes outside of the extra button which I have already stated. The answer is the same. No, an extra mappable button, different triggers, VERY different d-pad, and different size is not "the same thing with a different name".

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the 360 a terrible system? It had plenty of games, grunt where it counted, barring the first few iterations (usually best to write such things off in any large engineering project) ultimately was pretty reliable. I am none too great a fan of it truly popularising paid online but it was sort of a thing during the dial up era, the original xbox had it too, and World of Warcraft was not even the first big MMO that had a monthly subscription so at that point almost an inevitability.
No, it was actually amazing. Still is.

Don't know what he's on about, but hey, it's his opinion so he's entitled to it.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Always been more of a Dualshock 3 guy, but damn the 360 controller just melts into my hands. More than likely going to pick one of these up.

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kinda wild just how tough it is to find a first party Xbox 360 controller in decent condition. Just tried looking for one recently for an old 360 with two busted controllers, and had a weirdly hard time finding one.
I got a 360 with no controller at a garage sale this summer and was in the same boat, I eventually tracked down a decent one on Ebay. Ironically the only finicky things about it were the battery case and the D-pad. Has anyone had luck with clone controllers on an actual 360?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the 360 pads are the rubbers from the left stick as time passes it wears off so you either manually change it or buy a grip and apply to it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is possible, but there may be a brook adapter for systems, that works with the 360 controller, wirelessly. it using rf instead of bluetooth may be a problem though.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, most models scratched their own game discs, and they didn't get a proper fix from Microsoft. I don't own one, but don't care to, so I'm just basing it off of various internet sources.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro