Hacking I bricked my Wii U

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Now i bricked wiiu. I was able to go to wiiu menu in sysmenu and tried to run haxchi but it freezed. I was trying to go to HL to dump wiiu nand, but with no luck, so I decided to factory reset it while CBHC installed.

Now, I boot to an error screen. Error Code: 160-0101

Im officially screwed with no backup nand and bricked wiiu. bummer
That's the single biggest mistake you can make with Wii U modding.
Sadly I don't think there's a fix for it.
But hey, at least a bare Wii U with no gamepad and cables is pretty cheap.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn, man. I'm sorry to hear that. at least all wii u's are hackable, and the gamepad is the most expensive component. drop by ebay and pick up a console only wii u. when 5.3.2 was the latest hackable, I bought one of those (console-only) for $150. the prices have come way down though, so I'd do that.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if you had rednand setup that's a nand backup idk how its stored to extract it or if any stuff is done to it that would make it not restorable, but yeah its probably cheaper/easier to pick up a new console on itself

plus the Wiiu has 2 nand portions, idk if the part rednand clones is the correct nand to restore in this brick case,

EDIT:-here is a video on how to extract rednand anyway, incase you want to try give it a shot anyway, and it looks like rednand has a copy of all nand partitions except vwii I guess

Last edited by gamesquest1,

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Now i bricked wiiu. I was able to go to wiiu menu in sysmenu and tried to run haxchi but it freezed. I was trying to go to HL to dump wiiu nand, but with no luck, so I decided to factory reset it while CBHC installed.

Now, I boot to an error screen. Error Code: 160-0101

Im officially screwed with no backup nand and bricked wiiu. bummer
Wow!! This is classic stuff! Don't you know that you can't factory reset with CBHC installed?!?! Read through this entire thread. It was like a good drama/adventure story. Starts out bad. Then all is good after much stressing out. Then it ends with a true brick, and all is very bad again. lol. Amazing. Thanks. This was a good one;).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I will consider that.
Damn if i had only dumped nand before.
Yeah, I never understood the nand backup really. It's way more effort than it's worth to restore a bricked Wii U from a nand back up, especially when you can buy a new console for $60.

Reactions: gamesquest1

n00b2015

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
if you had rednand setup that's a nand backup idk how its stored to extract it or if any stuff is done to it that would make it not restorable, but yeah its probably cheaper/easier to pick up a new console on itself

plus the Wiiu has 2 nand portions, idk if the part rednand clones is the correct nand to restore in this brick case,

EDIT:-here is a video on how to extract rednand anyway, incase you want to try give it a shot anyway, and it looks like rednand has a copy of all nand partitions except vwii I guess
thanks. So with these three nands you can hardmod wiiu. If thats correct ill give it a try. Someone please link me a tutorial for hardmod wiiu. Thanx

Edit: i have vWii nand

Last edited by n00b2015,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/

that's to restore the main data storage, I think this isn't the part that you will need but im not 100% sure where the autostart config is stored i think its in the SLC which is what causes the brick when you have CBHC installed

restoring the SLC is a bit more work, here is some tools that will apparently help you on your quest
https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/page-8

restoring the SLC requires a teensy to do though

Mat37

Trophies
XP
Country
France
https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/

that's to restore the main data storage, I think this isn't the part that you will need but im not 100% sure where the autostart config is stored i think its in the SLC which is what causes the brick when you have CBHC installed

restoring the SLC is a bit more work, here is some tools that will apparently help you on your quest
https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/page-8

restoring the SLC requires a teensy to do though
What's the point of dumping a bricked SLC ?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
What's the point of dumping a bricked SLC ?
he initially had rednand setup on his SD cards, so assuming he hasn't formatted the SD card he will have a non bricked SLC/MLC to restore to his system, he can then choice to remove CBHC and format his system or just leave it as is

having a little look further,if he has his OTP dumped its probably a more promising outlook using this tool
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wii-u-nand-tools.465386/

but again as I have said in his position I would probably just go the route of getting a replacement console unless he wants to try fix it for the challenge of it

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe all you need is the slc when it comes to NAND dumps. that's the wii u system software, and where the modified files are located.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I believe all you need is the slc when it comes to NAND dumps. that's the wii u system software, and where the modified files are located.
yeah see from what I gather skimming over all that stuff, the format fix mentioned in the nand tools thread relies on the otp to manually remove the CBHC autoboot, this means your system will be restored to a non bricked state, but unless he has his otp stored that option might not be available to him, it all depends on if he setup rednand before or after installing CBHC, if the slc stored in rednand has cbhc installed it would still be bricked without also restoring the mlc so he will have the corresponding virtual console title installed too

but tbf the mlc part is simple compared to restoring the slc part :P

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't do anything to fix your nand without otp.bin. if you have otp.bin you can fix with a teansy. You can dump a messed up seeprom and then repair it with @EyeKeys tools but ONLY if you have a otp.bin so you can decrypt it.

Without otp.bin your wasting your time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu