"I Hope SOPA Passes"

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't a 12 year old be the one saying that the internet is the only form of communication?

Anyway, My point to all is not that I don't think the internet isnt the BEST way of doing it, I think its replaceable. I mean it only REALLY became publicly widespread in the 90s and it really sucked back then. The same can be said for automobiles. People got as far as they did with horses, wagons, bikes and boats. Same could be said for the internet.

LOL so because it's recent it can be replaced? Planes [modern planes, mind you, the jet-engine ones] and Communicaion Satellites aren't exactly old either, think we could live without them, too?

Don't fucking give me that BS explanation. Just because you're used to it now doesn't mean it's just another convenience you can ever-so-casually declare as replaceable.

And isn't the point of the internet is that it's growing? So basically, it's ok to just cut off the exponential growth of the internet because some people think they're entitled to it? What kind of fucked up thinking is that?

You're saying a technology less than a quarter of a century old is replaceable because... um... what was your reason again? Because it's new and it sucked before?

Wow. Quit the internet, please. FFS
*Blink*
The world turned just fine without all that stuff... and being closely involved with the internet since the very explosion of the Web itself... I sincerely *know* that just because there would be a lot of casualties (both literally and figuratively speaking) without those things you mention, it doesn't mean that technology is something that has eliminated mankind's capability to operate on the lesser pre-existing forms.

In fact--
It would be easier in the present day to communicate without the internet because world languages have been homogenizing over the past 100 and especially 30-50 years, meaning that there are fewer spoken/written languages present in the human race now than before the instant communication forms that have been available since before you were even conceived.

If merely disintegrating the internet was on the table, but we still had (LANDLINE) phones and (NON-JET) transportation, it would be a major hurdle only for the FIRST WORLD population to adjust (the wealthy would be able to afford a massive spike in postage & phone costs, but then there would be a massive demand for postal and phone employees to balance THAT out..)
but the communication tool, though seen as integral to turning the moment-to-moment events of people of the "entire world", isn't even accessible to (or used by) most of it even at this time ANYWAY. for second and third-worlders, they would return to forms they used before mainstream access to the internet even more easily.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
**snippety-snip-snip**

Wouldn't a 12 year old be the one saying that the internet is the only form of communication?

Anyway, My point to all is not that I don't think the internet isnt the BEST way of doing it, I think its replaceable. I mean it only REALLY became publicly widespread in the 90s and it really sucked back then. The same can be said for automobiles. People got as far as they did with horses, wagons, bikes and boats. Same could be said for the internet.

LOL so because it's recent it can be replaced? Planes [modern planes, mind you, the jet-engine ones] and Communicaion Satellites aren't exactly old either, think we could live without them, too?

Don't fucking give me that BS explanation. Just because you're used to it now doesn't mean it's just another convenience you can ever-so-casually declare as replaceable.

And isn't the point of the internet is that it's growing? So basically, it's ok to just cut off the exponential growth of the internet because some people think they're entitled to it? What kind of fucked up thinking is that?

You're saying a technology less than a quarter of a century old is replaceable because... um... what was your reason again? Because it's new and it sucked before?

Wow. Quit the internet, please. FFS
Pretty much yeah other then most medical practices almost everything we've done in the pass saaayy 50 years we could live without

Reactions: 1 person

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Pretty much yeah other then most medical practices almost everything we've done in the pass saaayy 50 years we could live without
If we're going to exclude modern medicine, why stop at only fifty years? Why not a hundred? Or a thousand?

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we're going to exclude modern medicine, why stop at only fifty years? Why not a hundred? Or a thousand?Nzw
Not medicine. Practices, as in how doctors and such actually heal, if we cut out a hundred years we would be flooded with infant mortality. But, anyother technologies are replaceable. Just because things are easier with it doesn't mean we need it to live, especially in the case of the internet.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ugh. Sure, if your definition of "life" is literally just not being dead then we could live without a lot of stuff. For most (everyone?) else on Earth, the quality of life is also quite important.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh. Sure, if your definition of "life" is literally just not being dead then we could live without a lot of stuff. For most (everyone?) else on Earth, the quality of life is also quite important.
You know... its becoming apparent that I'm either debating with trolls or you people just refuse to read what I post.

Reactions: 2 people

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps multiple people are all refusing to read what you posted. Perhaps it is you who are not properly articulating your thoughts.
So your telling me that you cannot enjoy your life if you never used the internet? The definition for life is basically not being dead. You do not breathe the internet. You do not consume the internet. You do not need the internet to live. What I am saying is you dont need it, your saying quality of life depends on it. If were going to debate over quality then thats a whole nother subject. Im getting the impression that your just arguing for the sake of arguing. Theres nothing here im saying that doesnt make sense. Its one thing for you to disagree with me because my opinion breaks down to basic logic. Its another to say this basic logic is wrong. If you simply cant understand reason then its your problem.

Not medicine. Practices, as in how doctors and such actually heal, if we cut out a hundred years we would be flooded with infant mortality.
Medicine: the science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Medicine.

Is this supposed to be proving a point other then mine?

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I am saying is you dont need it, your saying quality of life depends on it.
I did not say that a person's quality of life is dependent upon the Internet. Quality is not a binary proposition. Things can add or subtract from it. The Internet, like many relatively recent inventions, adds greatly to the quality of life for many people on Earth.

I definitely think there is a communication breakdown occurring here.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I am saying is you dont need it, your saying quality of life depends on it.
I did not say that a person's quality of life is dependent upon the Internet. Quality is not a binary proposition. Things can add or subtract from it. The Internet, like many relatively recent inventions, adds greatly to the quality of life for many people on Earth.

I definitely think there is a communication breakdown occurring here.
Yeah, I misunderstood that statement, and edited my post accordingly. But still I am not talking about quality of life here, in fact, thats off topic. My point is simple. You dont need the internet. Thats a flat-out fact. I feel its become a form of entertainment. Thats my opinion. Are you really trying to argue with a fact or my opinion? If you are trying to argue with a opinion then im really missing your point, and im pretty sure your smart enough not to argue with a fact.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If merely disintegrating the internet was on the table, but we still had (LANDLINE) phones and (NON-JET) transportation, it would be a major hurdle only for the FIRST WORLD population to adjust (the wealthy would be able to afford a massive spike in postage & phone costs, but then there would be a massive demand for postal and phone employees to balance THAT out..)
but the communication tool, though seen as integral to turning the moment-to-moment events of people of the "entire world", isn't even accessible to (or used by) most of it even at this time ANYWAY. for second and third-worlders, they would return to forms they used before mainstream access to the internet even more easily.

Oh? And you know this because... You're in a third-world country?

Yeah, which one of use lives in the US and which one lives in some far-off South-East Asian Archipelago again?

Let me reiterate again, how much of our information is stored inside computers or servers or whatever the hell they use nowadays. Now, as I understand it, communication, in every sense of the word, is the transfer of information. i.e. not merely word of mouth.

Therefore, operating beyond that basic assumption, most of the information flow around the world would perhaps not screech to a grinding halt, but it will slow down beyond what you might think. Some [going back to my "ship the whole library of congress" metaphor] would be damn near impossible.

Furthermore, the internet provides us more than one way to communicate. A phone is, as the name suggests, a phonetic device. The internet can transmit information phonetically [sound files], visually [images, text, video] or by raw data [program, code etc]. It's not just ease and availability, it's versatility.

Also, coming back to your misguided attempt at the "first-world/third-world" analogy. Pardon me for saying, but you have no clue what you're saying.

First off, while it is true that our connections and internet speeds in here are negligible in comparison to yours, the fact is, we still are connected. Just because we have less of it doesn't mean we need it any less than you. That's a very narrow-minded view.

Second, the truth is actually the reverse of what you are saying. Over here, a lot of people work abroad, and that's really another discussion. The fact is, the way most of us connect to those people far off is through the internet. Calling long-distance is too friggin' expensive for people working their asses off.

Third, the internet is actually a replacement of sorts to the things that our third-world country cannot give us. As I'm typing this, my browser has capabilities to search Google, Wikipedia and Merriam-Webster [writers need their dictionaries, by God] and whatever other site I wish, with a few clicks. Our public libraries can scarce compete with that. I've learned a lot of things off the internet I was not taught in our school systems.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh? And you know this because... You're in a third-world country?

Yeah, which one of use lives in the US and which one lives in some far-off South-East Asian Archipelago again?
I know this because common sense tells me that people who don't have electricty or sewer infrastructure don't have to worry about the internet.

I simply CBA to go line by line to address how wrong you are.
For what it's worth I visited the Philippines before you were even born because I have family there.

It's pointless for you to explain to me what capabilities the internet has, I'm quite well aware of how it's developed over time because I've been doing basic administration on it since 1997. If you want proof that I've been as a minimum, a webmaster since 1998, the registration WHOIS data for noun.org is evidence. (Although I don't live in Reedley anymore, for quite some time now).

Your argument seems to suggest that analog information is made absolutely, completely useless by the presence of digital information.

How about I tell you one thing for sure: THE PHILIPPINES IS NOT A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. It wasn't in 1998, and it definitely isn't now.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, yes. Shove your credentials down my throat. That makes for compelling evidence to support your arguments, without actually arguing. Apparently, that means you're entitled to always be right.

Also, tell me WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY OWN FUCKING COUNTRY!!! Your people are already telling everyone else how to run their countries, so why the fuck not?

With people like this, it's no surprise that your elected officials want to enslave you. That way of thinking is ridiculously Western.

Sure, pull rank on me. Contradict something I know even if you don't. Anything just to avoid putting your own idea out there.

Can't people hold a proper discussion without trying to be ridiculous and trying to one-up the other guy?

A big FUCK YOU to people who think like that. At least learn to stand by your own opinions without this other bullshit.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do stand by my opinions, I just don't waste my time arguing with people like you who are clearly emotional and unversed in structured debate.
Since you're pissed off enough to say completely unfounded things about me even before your above post, such as that I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about (Yes, I do. I am not the only person who disagreed with you but you decided to single ME out.)

Being a Philippine resident doesn't give you any more authority than I have.
http://en.wikipedia....the_Philippines

The Philippines may have a large visible indigenous population (and very visible poverty) but it's most definitely a first world country, especially now.
Your country devotes more to education per budget dollar spent than any of the US states do, as well. You should be grateful- I'll admit you have an admirable command of English but the reason I won't be bothered to discuss this as an argument with you is because I simply don't care about your opinion. Or proving that I'm right.

I have other things to do with my daily life that don't fill me with negativity like your words would. So, I'm not conceding but I am giving up on you.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Is this supposed to be proving a point other then mine?
Nah, just pointing out that what you said was basically "not medicine, medicine." Which was pretty pointless. As for your "point", I agree that we don't "need" any of the modern inventions in order to live, and if we except medicine (or "medical practices", which, according to you, is somehow different from "medicine," despite the definition; but I digress), apart from that, there hasn't been a single essential invention that we absolutely couldn't live without in the past thousand years. So why stop at a mere 50?

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this supposed to be pr

oving a point other then mine?
Nah, just pointing out that what you said was basically "not medicine, medicine." Which was pretty pointless. As for your "point", I agree that we don't "need" any of the modern inventions in order to live, and if we except medicine (or "medical practices", which, according to you, is somehow different from "medicine," despite the definition; but I digress), apart from that, there hasn't been a single essential invention that we absolutely couldn't live without in the past thousand years. So why stop at a mere 50?
I could explain it to you OR I could end this quite off topic debate here. I choose the latter.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I could explain it to you
No, I really don't think you could.

quite off topic debate
Hey, you started it. I was kinda hoping that since you brought it up, there was some sort of point behind it. Apparently not.

Koumori_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='shinigami357']
Your arrogance and argumentative tone are quite baffling.
For one thing try reading a book. It's this thing that was invented to store and transport information.
Next, please look at the civil rights movement, ghandi, the renaissance and so many other situations in history.
The internet did not exist for those things but they certainly went off with out need of it.
I do not mean to diminish the marvelous uses the internet has, but don't make it out to be the end all be all of communication. Life managed and continues to manage just fine with no internet.
Just ask the Vanuatu tribesmen. They barely have phone service, and that is by choice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Yes. +1