I uninstalled unlaunch on my DSI, and it didn't get bricked.

Afraidmasynrlk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I uninstalled unlaunch on my DSI and it didn't get bricked. Is everything fine then? Should I be worried? Also is it completely uninstalled or is it still stored somewhere in NAND?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I uninstalled unlaunch on my DSI and it didn't get bricked. Is everything fine then? Should I be worried? Also is it completely uninstalled or is it still stored somewhere in NAND?
In most cases the uninstaller works as intended.
If it doesn't you get double black screen and blue LED.

I'm not sure. Unlaunch might leave the encryption keys somewhere.

In any case it was an unnecessary risk.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Lavender01

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why should it brick, anyway? It's not called Enso 1.0 :P

You said uninstalled so yes, it's gone - if you said "removed" we could have gone on a long rant about what happens when you edit a file making it smaller...

Afraidmasynrlk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's up with everyone constantly saying it'll brick your system then? I get there may be a chance that it MIGHT happen, but from what I'm hearing, it seems to be uncommon.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's up with everyone constantly saying it'll brick your system then? I get there may be a chance that it MIGHT happen, but from what I'm hearing, it seems to be uncommon.
It's uncommon, because many who has installed Unlaunch has either not uninstalled it, or did uninstall it, but not using Unlaunch's own uninstaller.
Why should it brick, anyway?
The uninstall feature has a (seemingly random) bug where it fills the whole "title.tmd" file with `00` bytes, which causes the console to not start the system menu, and so the result is a brick, which can only be fixed via hardmod.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Hasn't it been said that the reason for the brick is Nintendo being a cheapass when manufacturing the DSi and using a bottom-of-the-barrel firmware chip that corrupts after a few writes? As Unlaunch writes to the chip for coldboot, it wears it down and eventually it corrupts the title.tmd file.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hasn't it been said that the reason for the brick is Nintendo being a cheapass when manufacturing the DSi and using a bottom-of-the-barrel firmware chip that corrupts after a few writes? As Unlaunch writes to the chip for coldboot, it wears it down and eventually it corrupts the title.tmd file.
sounds like they went with an SPI instead of a nand-, eeprom or other flash based storage and those tend to wear out pretty quickly (because SPI is meant to be written to very occasionally, on a rockchip-based arm machine like the pinebook pro it would hold uBoot, rEFInd, coreboot or a different bootloader)

Reactions: Lavender01

Lavender01

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why should it brick, anyway? It's not called Enso 1.0 :P

You said uninstalled so yes, it's gone - if you said "removed" we could have gone on a long rant about what happens when you edit a file making it smaller...
my guess is that it's related to the fact that unlaunch changes the bootcode of the dsi. the uninstaller could have a bug that messes up the bootcode when uninstalling??
(nvm rocketrobz explained it better)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The movie is about a kooky father and son that live together. It's kinda like a raunchy bizarre...