If you could live anywhere in the world?

Daemon.nds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for taking an interest in the United States. In the U.S., we have states. Florida is a state. A state is similar to a prefecture. You want to live in a city that is in the state of Florida. Good luck and welcome.

W

WW3

united states, 1950's

Where liberalism isn't a mental disorder and drugs are not rampant in the schools, everyone speaks English government doesn't "save" anything and the people will not elect a Marxist based on skin color alone.
where dictators are not more conservative than the president.
Hey, Obama has just nationalized nothing more and nothing less than General Motors. Comrade Obama! Fidel, careful or we are going to end up to his right.
where i can leave my door unlocked and not have to fear for people stealing anything i own, like it was here in the states during the 1800's. thats where i want to live!

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Canada! Oh wait, I already live there.
tongue.gif

frantier123

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Tokyo, New York, London ...

I just can't resist the idea of living in a mansion instead of an apartment like what we have here in Singapore.

Edit: Of cos, cleaning becomes a problem.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
frantier123 said:
Tokyo, New York, London ...

I just can't resist the idea of living in a mansion instead of an apartment like what we have here in Singapore.

Edit: Of cos, cleaning becomes a problem.

Just a thought, I know Singapore is incredibly expensive but you just picked three probably equally expensive cities:
Tokyo more so than the rest of Japan has multi generational mortgages/inter generational mortgages and has had them for some time.
Unless you want to live in the sticks, New Jersey or a less fun area then New York is largely smaller houses, apartments or ultra expensive flats/apartments.
London, same idea as New York really.

frantier123

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
FAST6191 said:
Just a thought, I know Singapore is incredibly expensive but you just picked three probably equally expensive cities:
Tokyo more so than the rest of Japan has multi generational mortgages/inter generational mortgages and has had them for some time.
Unless you want to live in the sticks, New Jersey or a less fun area then New York is largely smaller houses, apartments or ultra expensive flats/apartments.

I'm not so sure about the pricing, but because of the size of Singapore, there aren't a lot of maisonette housing as compared to the 3 cities. I prefer to live in a place where everyone is living in marionette housings as I feel it is more connected. Of course, there are more people in an apartment, but the connection I feel is quite different. I don't know, but it is just the kind of feeling and I know this feeling when I was on holiday where this hotel I stayed in is like a mansion, and the rest of the rooms just connect to each others.

I'm not so sure about Tokyo, but living in Japan is definitely a privilege to me
wink.gif

Edit: What I'm talking here is not the price. After all, price dosen't restrict you to a place where you dreamt to live, does it?

Daemon.nds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Edit: What I'm talking here is not the price. After all, price doesn't restrict you to a place where you dreamt to live, does it?

I would say that price does prevent most people from living where they dream of. Certain markets (for example, the level of pay) are better for certain industries in certain cities. Many people take a job in a place that they like, but it's not necessarily their favorite place in the world. For example, many ppl come to S'pore for work and like it a lot there. They may have preferred London or Tokyo, but they know that they would have struggled in those places. So, they come to S'pore and have more security.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lilsypha said:
I find it funny that the person that posted this thread also has the Canadian flag to their name. I don't necessarily want out of Canada, but I want out of the shithole that is Toronto. Out of all the places I've lived in the country, this one is the worst! Why? Canada's wide open-door immigration policy is just destroying the city. People think Canada is some sort of haven for multiculturalism. It isn't. The amount of hate and racism are incredible. There are little pockets all around the city where "like gather with like". It's ugly. For a country where English is one of the two official languages, you never hear English when you go anywhere. You'll hear mandarin, polish, russian, sweedish, arabic, every language you can think of, never English. You can never understand shopkeepers because everyone refuses to learn English! It's so, so frustrating. The city is dirty, public transportation is a nightmare (whoever said it was good must have only visited a short time). It's incredibly expensive to live here. The people are very unfriendly. It's bitterly cold and/or covered in snow eight months out of the year. At the first possible opportunity, I am out of here. I don't recommend anyone give Toronto a second look! If you want to see the best of what Canada has to offer, to go British Columbia!

Where would I want to live? In no particular order, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Hawaii, Miami, New Zealand..I can't really decide. Somewhere where the pace of life is slower, and people are naturally kind. It wouldn't hurt to have permanently nice sunny weather and nice beaches to visit too!
Move out to the KW area, Hankchill and myself both live in Guelph which is a nice little city, about 40,000 people, we have our own breweries too! Multicultural but not like Toronto, we have lots of different kinds of restaurants spanning a multitude of nations but at the same time everyone here speaks English. There are a lot of Italian businesses though I will tell ya that, but they are all extremely nice people. It is fairly windy out in the south end of town though thats for sure, but we are a growing city at a fairly rapid pace. Not too far from Toronto and it's easy to get around, hell you can bus into the big city easily.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Day By Day said:
Vidboy10 said:
I don't want to live anywhere else.
And i HATE japan, sure my VGs are from there but in WW2 they attacked HK. >=(
HK FTW!!!!

Most Japanese today weren't even alive during those times. You're 12 years old, so I'll offer you a piece of advice. Never judge a group of people based on the decisions of their leaders. Maybe the symbol for China should be an ox, not a dragon. So stubborn. See you on the island- though neither of us will know it.
China's government is a disgrace and I feel sorry for all the people who live in that dump of a country for all the oppression they have had to deal with for so long and the people of Tibet having their land illegally occupied by the Chinese military. The fact that there are people who actually support the communist government baffles me cause they aren't even communists, it has turned into a full fledged dictatorship over the years and the people will continue to be oppressed until someone either murders their leader or military action is taken against them to free the country.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
frantier123 said:
FAST6191 said:

I'm not so sure about the pricing, but because of the size of Singapore, there aren't a lot of maisonette housing as compared to the 3 cities. I prefer to live in a place where everyone is living in marionette housings as I feel it is more connected. Of course, there are more people in an apartment, but the connection I feel is quite different. I don't know, but it is just the kind of feeling and I know this feeling when I was on holiday where this hotel I stayed in is like a mansion, and the rest of the rooms just connect to each others.

I'm not so sure about Tokyo, but living in Japan is definitely a privilege to me
wink.gif

Edit: What I'm talking here is not the price. After all, price dosen't restrict you to a place where you dreamt to live, does it?

"Maisonette" generally means a flat/apartment split between two floors around here. Assuming however you are going for the perhaps more obscure meaning of apartment block with a common (indoors) landing/entrance/hall as opposed to front door to the world I can assure you it makes little difference in either New York or London to the community feeling you seek (me or mine have done one or the other on about 60 occasions in all and anything to the contrary usually makes it on the "and now in local news" segment), a good central/roof garden or balcony is likely to do more and flats are equally likely to have both of those.

Regarding price I guess it was just my roundabout way of saying Singapore = Tokyo = New York = London as far as housing size is concerned although in the case of the latter two it is usually cost that drives prices up (Tokyo is not doing all that well for land mass as last I heard they too were considering a floating airport) meaning in all four places houses are roughly the same size.
If you want though:
London (Westminster, admittedly this is probably the second most expensive place in London)
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...er=REGION^93980
Swindon (another city on the same latitude)
http://www.findaproperty.com/areadetails.a...amp;areaid=1304

You also have to go substantially north to make it hard for you to do a "night out/day out in the city" and the same with New York and I imagine Tokyo (they have bullet trains after all).

I do hope you do get to do as you wish but I still think you picked three of the worst cities to try for that in.

Daemon.nds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
China's government is a disgrace and I feel sorry for all the people who live in that dump of a country for all the oppression they have had to deal with for so long and the people of Tibet having their land illegally occupied by the Chinese military. The fact that there are people who actually support the communist government baffles me cause they aren't even communists, it has turned into a full fledged dictatorship over the years and the people will continue to be oppressed until someone either murders their leader or military action is taken against them to free the country.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Now is not the time for Chinese democracy. With such huge population, it is very important to maintain order. Lack of order (especially in a Confucian society like China) would cause pure chaos (as opposed to the current situation, which is organized chaos). This is a very special time to be in China, during its great rise. If China becomes democratic now, everything they have worked so hard for could have been for nothing. Then, it might takes centuries for them to have another shot at greatness. Let them accumulate wealth under the current system, and give them time to establish better infrastructure. From there, democracy may be more practical. China is already decentralizing, giving more power to the individual provinces and less to Beijing. Taiwan has already agreed to peacefully rejoin if China becomes democratic. Hong Kong has only 38 years or so until it will be fully assimilated into the mainland. Perhaps around (or shortly after) that time, China can be whole again and can be democratic with Chinese characteristics. There are many solutions to the issue with Tibet, but it will be important for them to have religious freedom. Then, they will have freedom to carry on religiously while still having the economic benefits of being part of China. I appreciate your ideas and thought that I'd take a minute to share mine.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honolulu, HI or Akihabara, Japan (if I had buttloads of cash to blow on video game related stuff and gashapon)

Halcali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it would be Istanbul or Tokyo. Istanbul is a possibility in my future since i am a citizen of Turkey and can live there legally. But Tokyo would be awesome since I am interested in their car scene.

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If something like a mixture of Germany (most of the laws etc. I don't know, I find them quite suiting), Netherlands (smoking pot, downloading shit and f'ing vanilla vla) and Japan (landscapes + anime/pop-culture. Mostly bcs. of the landscapes :3) exists, then I would happily live there ;_;"

But if there isn't, then it would be either Japan or the Netherlands.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy