If you could live anywhere in the world?

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Japan, because I am Japanese descendant and would like to live there, or somewhere near Nürburg in Germany, where the most challenging race track in the world is located.

hvsep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New Zealand because of Flight of the Conchords. North and South Island are beautiful, I'd own a crib in both and travel back and forth every month.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Smatchmo said:
England.
London or Portsmouth. Preferably Portsmouth but I'd settle for anywhere in England (except Staffordshire, though).

your kidding right?
to someone that is there almost every day, that sounds completely ridiculous.

as for me? probably somewhere in New Zealand or Canada

mad567

D. Gregar
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Greece
Well I enjoy living in Greece is just fine
smile.gif

But if I have to choose somewhere else I would love to live In Cyprus

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly?

I would love to live somewhere where......er.....it was less urban. What neighborhoods around here have degenerated into just disgusts me. I want to live somewhere in the USA that is peaceful, quiet and lots of space around me, but still be close enough to civilization when I need it. I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio and have lived my whole life here. I want out! I want to move south somewhere, to a place that doesn't tolerate.....well......how do I say this without sounding...er......ahh!....I just better shut up now. You know, this is one of those deals where I can't say what I want because it would offend too many people. Free speech my ass!
hate2.gif

D

Deleted User

Rayder said:
Honestly?

I would love to live somewhere where......er.....it was less urban. What neighborhoods around here have degenerated into just disgusts me. I want to live somewhere in the USA that is peaceful, quiet and lots of space around me, but still be close enough to civilization when I need it. I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio and have lived my whole life here. I want out! I want to move south somewhere, to a place that doesn't tolerate.....well......how do I say this without sounding...er......ahh!....I just better shut up now. You know, this is one of those deals where I can't say what I want because it would offend too many people. Free speech my ass!
hate2.gif

Where they don't tolerate crime? Bullshit? Stupid fucks? wut wuuut

Anyway, I'd like to live in Somalia, which means that I wouldn't like to live at all.
tongue.gif

Just kidding, don't go calling no suicide therapists.

MrDillDough

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to live in Tokyo, Japan. Yeah, I know pretty much nothing about it, but my friend has been there a few times and gives it a pretty good name. And his brother has been living there for a few years now and enjoys it very much!

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Australia.
many of the most interesting people I've ever met have been from there.

Aww how nice of you! ;P

Canada>Toronto

Went there during the Christmas holidays... it's the best! Great public transport system... heaps of snow.. skiing.. that's the life.

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Honestly?

hate2.gif

wacko.gif

OT: I think somewhere in Canada would be nice, I went there once during holidays, that was great. I want skiing (winters with snow and a country with good mountains) ,nice summers , great nature and fun people.
Anyway the netherlands is good enough for me atm
biggrin.gif

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
Definately be where I'm at right now - Gold Coast Australia. Don't understand why anyone would want to live in England (brrrr) or any southern part of Japan (I just see the northern it as a cheap place to go snow skiing from here) way too xenophobic over there....

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find it funny that the person that posted this thread also has the Canadian flag to their name. I don't necessarily want out of Canada, but I want out of the shithole that is Toronto. Out of all the places I've lived in the country, this one is the worst! Why? Canada's wide open-door immigration policy is just destroying the city. People think Canada is some sort of haven for multiculturalism. It isn't. The amount of hate and racism are incredible. There are little pockets all around the city where "like gather with like". It's ugly. For a country where English is one of the two official languages, you never hear English when you go anywhere. You'll hear mandarin, polish, russian, sweedish, arabic, every language you can think of, never English. You can never understand shopkeepers because everyone refuses to learn English! It's so, so frustrating. The city is dirty, public transportation is a nightmare (whoever said it was good must have only visited a short time). It's incredibly expensive to live here. The people are very unfriendly. It's bitterly cold and/or covered in snow eight months out of the year. At the first possible opportunity, I am out of here. I don't recommend anyone give Toronto a second look! If you want to see the best of what Canada has to offer, to go British Columbia!

Where would I want to live? In no particular order, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Hawaii, Miami, New Zealand..I can't really decide. Somewhere where the pace of life is slower, and people are naturally kind. It wouldn't hurt to have permanently nice sunny weather and nice beaches to visit too!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gvodop said:
Exciting and all if you are bored of your hometown and people who live in your vicinity but let me say this... The people you live with and the ones who care for you are what make your live comfortable and nice, some "home" you pleasently come home to. If you do not like where you live now deal with it. Take some time and get to know the people who live in your surroundings. Having the possiblity to live anywhere makes you just go more anonymous and lost in big cities and in the middle of people you do not know. Of course it all means more possibilities for work, etc... but this also means you could stay in that idealistically tought place for your whole life.

Who you are and the happier and merrier you live is defined by your environment where you grew up and the people you lived with. You just compare then everything that happens after with these events.... Having lived outside my home town in different cities for the past 18 years and understanding what home really means, well that is how you get to know if you are going just to settle in some place nice, jump from apartment to apartment or just accept that boring and uninteresting towns are not what they appear to be when you are 15 or 25 or 35 or even 45...

well, my 2 cents...

I am going to spin your point: you say that there is a good chance the people around you are worth knowing. By extension you say this should be the case more or less the world over and for the most part I would agree hence the desire to travel.

On the other hand this may just be me: whenever I travel it is usually as a skateboarder, concert goer or an engineer/scientist and all of those tend to travel extensively which usually makes for the welcoming environment you speak of.
One failing of my argument could stem from the fact that whenever I play such games I am not usually doing it survive (at the risk of sounding like a bastard plain survival and minor luxury is trivial for me to take care of) but for fun or in addition to the "basics".

"anonymous and lost in big cities and in the middle of people you do not know"
In many ways that is my idea of a good time.

Taking it back to hometowns: I have noticed it in the US especially but in a lot of the world as well most towns focus on a very narrow range of things (for instance there is next to no industry/engineering in my hometown with insurance, commuting and retail are about it. Granted that is what I see the UK over these days) and with cross planet communications, travel and access to other cultures being cheap/readily available this has likely changed the nature of your argument or indeed people in general. Communications and travel also negates your "people around you/family" somewhat.

On the other hand I have occasionally thought about if it is theoretically possible for me to stay in one place and enjoy it and frankly the answer is yes it is but having seen how much things can vary I would opt for the "shallow but broad" experience rather than the "narrow and deep" every time.

"[you are defined by] your environment where you grew up [and this has a knockon effect to your adult life]"

Ah, I never really spent a lot of time in one place growing up.

D

Deleted User

xcalibur said:
I would love to live in japan!
All the girls there are so kawaii and akihabara is so sugoi!
Oh gawd. I hope you are being satirical
sleep.gif

Also, I would never live in a wintery cold city. Fuck skiing! I want some sun.
yaynds.gif

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mad567 said:
Well I enjoy living in Greece is just fine
smile.gif

But if I have to choose somewhere else I would love to live In Cyprus
I spent a month and a half there when I was a kid one summer, it was nice the whole time, I wish I could have stayed forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol