"insider" knowledge and stories from your job.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
THE KICKER
ANY renter is covered by the state required minimum insurance BY DEFAULT, so even if you don't have personal car insurance, you are covered for liability. The employees can't tell you that because the company wants you to pay the extra for the "protection plan"
Doesn't said protection plan take the excess you pay from "first born and a kidney" to $200 or something more manageable? That is what they do most places here.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back before I was self employed, working in the electronics industry. I punched my boss, a bloody good one on the chin, floored him. I didn’t lose my job, probably partly because I was friendly with the owner of the company but more likely because the guy was a complete twat. Most of what he ever said was utter arse gravy, so he deserved it :D

These days, insider secret, I’m working on a new game. Shhhhhhh :D

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My best friend managed a cellphone store.

Delete all of your risque photos before handing over your phone for any reason. Tell all of your friends and family members this, too.

Please.

Also - there are so many people in "advantageous" positions that you would never realize.

For example - if you have insurance on your phone, and you have a much older phone that you don't want to "pay to upgrade because they changed how contracts work", start an insurance claim. Asurion (Sprint, ATT) lets you see what phone they'll send you as a replacement device and what the deductible will be before actually submitting the claim. If you have an older phone, chances are your phone won't be in stock (currently or ever again.) In this case, Asurion must send you a "comprable" device.

What they don't tell you is:

1. this comprable device must be an upgrade from your current one;
2. The cost of the deductible is based on the original phone based on current value, not the new one.
3. Your contract/payment plan is based on your original device, not the new one.

Case in point, I had an old Note 5 with ATT that I've been paying off monthly based on their payment program. ($825/36 months.) I just finished in April, so the cost of the phone dropped off my bill. My screen had slight discoloration, but I was just going to wait because I didn't want to get a new phone. My best friend tells me all of this, so I go through the process.

Guys, I went from a Note 5 to the Note 8 for $50. It's brand new (not a refurbished device - you can tell based on the box it's in) and it's not on contract, as my original phone was just paid off.

My sister did the same thing with her Galaxy S4 - they initially sent her a S6, but it was messed up. They sent her another one - that one was messed up too. (Or she lied and said it was cracked....she's not an honest person.) On a third resend they have to send you either a "better" phone or a new brand - so they sent her a S8 because they didn't have any 7s.

Last edited by Windaga,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
IT doesn't do as much work as they want you to think they do.

It balances out over time in my experience, I think this sums up peoples perception of IT pretty well :lol:

it.jpg

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It balances out over time in my experience, I think this sums up peoples perception of IT pretty well :lol:

View attachment 130451
Most people don't realize that IT work comes down to documentation. If you don't know what you're doing, search google or ask on a forum. Chances are that someone had the same exact problem with the same model number and the same solution.
It reminds me of the saying, "I don't know everything, but I know where to find the answers."

Last edited by gman666,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

View attachment 130451

yes it seems like it could be true ^^V
except for the pic about the co-workers...
some of them were like "wow you are a super hacker doing rocket science" while otheres were more like "do you actually do anything at all except for drinking coffee and trying to avoid helping me every day ?"

some people seem to be unable to eveb start up their computer at all even though they work with it since many years already, no idea how they managed.

Had lots if people calling me ~3pm ~30min before most of us in the IT went home only to tell me that they were not able to work the whole day because the bad computer does not work (instead of calling soms time in the morning ....)

And lots of people calling "the stupid pc is broken again" and if you go there the multi power jack is either unplugged or just switched off and if you ask why then they say stuff like "I was done cooking my coffe so I didn't need any power anymore for the mashine .... telling them that the computer might actually need power as well usually only made them ask stuff like "so does it not get any power?" ... well maybe because you unplugged it oO?

loooooooots of stupid stuff like that but you still need to ne nice all the time.

One woman called several of my IT colleagues and my boss to complain about ne ne beca I made fun of her instead of helping.
All I did was telling her to try abs restart the Router and she started shouting at me "I see you don't want to help me and just use some phantasy words to make me look stupid!!!"

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Most people don't realize that IT work comes down to documentation. If you don't know what you're doing, search google or ask on a forum. Chances are that someone had the same exact problem with the same model number and the same solution.
It reminds me of the saying, "I don't know everything, but I know where to find the answers."
ahaha, and they say learning to use google is useless.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country

So true, it's impossible to know everything these days with the industry is changing so rapidly. However unless your doing something really obscure chances are several people have already had that same issue, so you can learn from the collective knowledge out there. I've wrote quite a few blog posts about ways i've deployed something too. Sharing is caring after all :)

yes it seems like it could be true ^^V
except for the pic about the co-workers...
some of them were like "wow you are a super hacker doing rocket science" while otheres were more like "do you actually do anything at all except for drinking coffee and trying to avoid helping me every day ?"

I jokingly get calls asking me to go stand next to someone who's having a problem, usually when I do whatever was the problem was seems to resolve its self without me doing anything :lol: strangely enough i'm known for drinking a lot of tea throughout the day!

Depending on who's calling me I've also answered the phone and said "have you tried turning it off and on again" knowing that particular person has watched the IT Crowd so will see the funny side of it.

Reactions: gman666

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ten second rule does not apply to a nasty ass rubber kitchen mat (the kind with holes that catch debris in). I do not buy donuts anymore. the glazing happens after the donuts cool some.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 130451
As an IT workstudy I can attest to the accuracy of that image

Edit: Also, to impart some wisdom from both of my jobs...

Grocery store: I work dairy. C h e c k t h e d a t e s. I know that we're SUPPOSED to rotate stock out regularly but take it from me, my coworkers get lazy and I don't have nearly enough time to fix their mistakes. Just don't be the asshole that digs way to the back to find the date that's furthest off, because we hate you if you do that

Info-Tech: Be nice to us, we're humans too. There are problems that we can't solve, don't have the resources to solve, or don't have the certification to satisfactorily solve. Accept this and move on. Most of the time we'll help you find a way to work around it, but we're doing the best we're physically capable of. And stop clicking on links to adware.

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Burger King: There are timers that tell you to throw away food at certain times if it has sat too long. The managers do not like this because it is considered waste. So to cut down on waste they tell you not to throw it out, but when it's ordered to re-fry it for a few seconds and give it to the customers as if it never happened. Chicken nuggets... these were often very old as they sat for a while at night. If you buy fish or chicken nuggets or a chicken select around 1 hour before they close, it will not be fresh and will have prolly be sitting there in a plastic heater tray for 45 minute+ (Mainly Fish and Chicken sandwiches, they are pretty rare orders, they sit the longest). Basically ALWAYS ask for fresh food to be dropped at Burger King. Chicken Fries? Especially Chicken Fries. While I'm at it, they pre-make a shit load of the most common sandwiches around 2 hours before the store closes and put them in a heater tray/heat lamp. So if you ordered something without "X" on it, and you get it and it is on it, this is why. ALWAYS ASK FOR FRESH FOOD. - Quit very quick

Best Buy: They seriously do not give a shit about you, they make a % of sales from you. That's why they suggest you buy the mousepad, wrist rest, etc. They love old people and people who look like idiots. There isn't shit wrong with your "slow" laptop, but they are going to try and tell you that you need a assload of parts and charge you a additional assload, but the same exact components will still be in the PC when you leave. Geek Squad will specifically not fix the problem until they "back up" your data. (Nothing important, just your private photos and documents) Seen some really horrible people back in those days. Quit after 2 days. I was disgusted by these weird ass people.
Some people at Best Buy have no idea what they are talking about. I don't even know why they get hired. They just try to get you to buy stuff.

Last edited by SG854,

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Some people at Best Buy have no idea what they are talking about. I don't even know why they get hired. They just try to get you to buy stuff.
Walmart tries to get you to buy stuff, Safeway tries to get you to buy food/stuff, everyone tries to get you to buy stuff, it's the point of shopping lol

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Walmart tries to get you to buy stuff, Safeway tries to get you to buy food/stuff, everyone tries to get you to buy stuff, it's the point of shopping lol
The issue isn't that they're trying to sell you something, it's that they're trying to sell you more than you need under the guise that they're acting in your best interest

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)