Apple iPhone XR was dropped and is now boot looping

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, thought id post this here and see what I get.

So a fellow peer of mine at school approached me saying that his phone isn't working he apparently dropped it very hard from waist height on concrete. The screen protector was shattered but the LCD was fine. This is an iPhone XR. Once I got it and plugged it in. It started to boot loop. Which even as a technician this perplexed me, I assumed originally it must be some sort of hardware fault caused by the impact but as to where I had no idea. The fact that something like this can even happen is very interesting to me, yet again I'm not super well versed in the phone side of things so for all I know there could be a reason for this.

Next, I connected the phone to a computer to see if I could get any life from it on iTunes. There was nothing, not even a chime until the phone was in recovery mode. Which is somewhat understandable. Once the phone was in recovery mode, iTunes started to pick it up and told me to try an Update on the phone. It was going fine until it got to the "waiting on iPhone" portion. After this Windows made a chime indicating that a device disconnected. Meanwhile, I did not touch the cord connecting the iPhone to the computer. Ultimately I ended up getting "Error 4013" repeatedly. Even trying to restore the phone to factory settings did not work.

Upon doing some research I found that it could be related to voltages on certain parts of the motherboard. This is just baffling to me considering the phone was dropped and no electricity was involved at least in my knowledge. (Again not my forte) I feel bad that I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it, as the kid doesn't have any iCloud backups. Right now I just got an iPhone XR in recovery mode.

If anyone can shed some light on this or can give me some more troubleshooting tips that would be great.
Trying to make this a success story.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, thought id post this here and see what I get.

So a fellow peer of mine at school approached me saying that his phone isn't working he apparently dropped it very hard from waist height on concrete. The screen protector was shattered but the LCD was fine. This is an iPhone XR. Once I got it and plugged it in. It started to boot loop. Which even as a technician this perplexed me, I assumed originally it must be some sort of hardware fault caused by the impact but as to where I had no idea. The fact that something like this can even happen is very interesting to me, yet again I'm not super well versed in the phone side of things so for all I know there could be a reason for this.

Next, I connected the phone to a computer to see if I could get any life from it on iTunes. There was nothing, not even a chime until the phone was in recovery mode. Which is somewhat understandable. Once the phone was in recovery mode, iTunes started to pick it up and told me to try an Update on the phone. It was going fine until it got to the "waiting on iPhone" portion. After this Windows made a chime indicating that a device disconnected. Meanwhile, I did not touch the cord connecting the iPhone to the computer. Ultimately I ended up getting "Error 4013" repeatedly. Even trying to restore the phone to factory settings did not work.

Upon doing some research I found that it could be related to voltages on certain parts of the motherboard. This is just baffling to me considering the phone was dropped and no electricity was involved at least in my knowledge. (Again not my forte) I feel bad that I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it, as the kid doesn't have any iCloud backups. Right now I just got an iPhone XR in recovery mode.

If anyone can shed some light on this or can give me some more troubleshooting tips that would be great.
Trying to make this a success story.
Try using 3uTools to restore the OS, iTunes can be very picky with voltage changes, if it still doesn’t work try a different cable, if nothing works, you will have to get it fixed...

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using 3uTools to restore the OS, iTunes can be very picky with voltage changes if it still doesn’t work try a different cable, if nothing works, you will have to get it fixed...
funny thing is, maybe a day or two later, the owner got a new phone and sold me this one for $75 and miraculously it updated properly and now works. Currently backing up his data to give to him. Will keep the phone for long-term testing before selling. Again, I had tried the laptop and cable combination before so I have no clue. Other than I used the JC programmer application to get it out of recovery mode, everything else I did was the same.

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
funny thing is, maybe a day or two later, the owner got a new phone and sold me this one for $75 and miraculously it updated properly and now works. Currently backing up his data to give to him. Will keep the phone for long-term testing before selling. Again, I had tried the laptop and cable combination before so I have no clue. Other than I used the JC programmer application to get it out of recovery mode, everything else I did was the same.
Lucky, good luck with your new phone :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto