Is CDKeys legit?

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking around, and found an online marketplace called cdkeys.com, selling incredibly discounted PC game keys for Steam, GOG, etc. Have any of you used this site before? Is it legit?

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on your definition of legit. Sites like it and G2A are basically like eBay. Some are legit leftovers from Humble Bundle and other authorized retailers, and some are from vouchers for games or services that sell physical cards, those are all what I'd say are legit. Then there are gray area codes that might be review codes, I don't know how to classify these ones. There are some people (this is an issue on eBay too) buying games with stolen cards or PayPal accounts, selling the games, and then eventually the rightful owner likely gets the charges reversed. The keys could very well get deactivated in the future meaning you're now out money. These are the bad sellers and bad keys people warn against the site for. There was a game where a ton of keys were revoked because playerd buying the game from G2A sellers weren't getting their keys.

Only buy from sellers with several/tens of thousands of feedback ratings and don't buy any new title on any sites like this. Same goes for eBay. Use PayPal too, because then you can easily get a refund and don't have to worry about your credit card. I believe payments are sent to the company which then gives it to the sellers. Also, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. You're not finding 50% off new titles if they're legit* unless its a review code, and if it's not it's likely fraudulently obtained. Checking what the game goes for during Steam sales is a good way to check prices.

Last edited by Guacaholey,
Reactions: SylverReZ

jakl_53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are kind of legit. I have used them a few times. But the source of the keys are shaky at best. Somebody has to be making a profit off it. It only makes sense that stolen credit cards would be the easiest way to profit. But who knows where they get them from.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They are kind of legit. I have used them a few times. But the source of the keys are shaky at best. Somebody has to be making a profit off it. It only makes sense that stolen credit cards would be the easiest way to profit. But who knows where they get them from.
That's what I was saying. I always thought those key marketplaces were very sketchy.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they were keys bought from a stolen CC they'd be revoked/invalidated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You gotta work and earn it