Is child abuse OK in Detroit: Become Human?

This morning I was watching The Wright Stuff on British breakfast television, a daily panel show featuring current news affairs, when I noticed the next topic to be discussed was about a 'computer game' called Detroit Become Human:

ws1.jpg

Detroit: Become Human is the latest game to come from creator David Cage, a 2018 Sony PlayStation 4 exclusive title, that featured a scene of potential domestic child abuse when a new trailer aired at Sony's Paris Game's Week 2017 Conference. You can see the full trailer here:

David Cage is no stranger to controversial subjects in his games. I've played Fahrenheit and also Heavy Rain and both of these games feature murder, the latter with a serial killer who kidnaps a child. So why is this new game suddenly on daytime breakfast TV? Because it's controversial, and without the controversial, off-screen scene, the game wouldn't have appeared on all of the mainstream gaming sites. So we all saw this a month ago, but only now is the printed press and big media catching onto it, because it's an easy target for a headline.

I'm no expert on what Detroit: Become Human is, but I gather from related media that it's a story-driven game with a heavy narrative, much like all of Cage's previous works. You play as an android and throughout the game are presented with game-changing decisions, but do you live through the story as an android would, or do you make the android 'Become Human' by making morally correct decisions as a human would, breaking the android's protocol, kind of I, Roboty. In theory, you could finish the game without even seeing this scene play out the wrong way. Choices given to the player are designed in such a way as to spark some kind of emotion from them. That is what this type of game is all about.

ws2.jpg

I've watched TWS on TV for many years, but today, with a headline like 'Ban Child Abuse Computer Game?' on the TV, I felt compelled to call the show and try and advocate as to why a scene like this in a video game isn't a reason to ban it. To my surprise, I got through!

Here is the clip of the entire discussion on the show today. If you want to skip forward to my call, I am caller number 1 at 05:50:

Mirror (UK):

Before the call I had plenty to say, but under pressure, live on air, with only a minute to talk, I don't think I got my point across as well as I could have, but it did make me think about how non-gamers perceive people who do enjoy experiencing and playing video games. I also wanted to tell Matthew (the host) to watch The Last of Us Part II trailer that was featured at the same gaming show in Paris, and is also a Sony exclusive title. I think that trailer has way more for the non-gaming masses to complain about, than the scenes from Detroit: Become Human. I've also been obliterating hundreds of Nazis with my Schockhammer in Wolfenstein 2 recently, literally blasting them into smithereens, but I've not seen that discussed on TV.

Obviously, this is a touchy subject matter, but in my eyes, it is no different than watching a movie or reading a book. The movie Sleepers immediately came to mind when I was trying to think of comparisons from other media, a 1996 film featuring some of hollywood's top stars suffering from child abuse. Why is that ok, but Detroit isn't?

It makes no sense.

Detroit: Become Human is expected to release worldwide in 2018.

:arrow:Detroit: Become Human Official Site

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what I think.

Single player games are story-driven and are meant to tell those stories and make you feel emotion based on aspects of the game, whether it be a cutscene or a choice you make in gameplay. The fact that there are people getting upset at a scene or a gameplay aspect means that the game is doing that job properly. Something like a child abuse scene must have been intentional (optional or not) to drive the player to feel certain emotions (whether its enjoyment, anger, or sadness). The fact that there is controversy over the scene means that the game did what it was intended to do.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time this moron on TV says "This stuff has no place in entertainment," I wanna scream "What about horror films then? What about Saw? How is that legitimate entertainment and this is not?" ....must have been a slow news day for them.

Reactions: DarthDub

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is just ridiculous, in what way is making real child abuse equivalent to that in a game? If anything it makes the game that much more meaningful, allowing the player to explore moral issues. And it's not like the kid gets abused no matter what (unless I'm wrong? Haven't read enough into it.)

My issue is that it's presented as some sort of taboo, like we're meant to try and ignore the fact that this shit goes on in real life, by exposing it in the game all you're going to do is make more people hate these sick bastards who would raise a fist towards a child.

It's just so confusing.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
This is just ridiculous, in what way is making real child abuse equivalent to that in a game? If anything it makes the game that much more meaningful, allowing the player to explore moral issues. And it's not like the kid gets abused no matter what (unless I'm wrong? Haven't read enough into it.)

My issue is that it's presented as some sort of taboo, like we're meant to try and ignore the fact that this shit goes on in real life, by exposing it in the game all you're going to do is make more people hate these sick bastards who would raise a fist towards a child.

It's just so confusing.
I didn't even read the OP. But why stop at children, ban all abuse, adults included. Why are children so special that they get special treatment. Aren't adults living breathing creatures with feelings and all that. Or do we just not care about adult victims, simply because of their age. Is this Ageism? Care only about Children because they are young.

D

Deleted User

I've never played a Quantic Dream game, but I've heard good things about their previous games. That and Detroit: Become Human looks pretty cool so far.
lol who have you been talking to that have told you good things you wanna see how bad their games are go to this youtube channel they have done full playthroughs of all 4 steaming piles of shit (omikron the nomad soul, indigo prophecy/ferenhiet, heavy rain, and beyond two souls) that david cage has dumped out you will get many hours of enjoyment watching them play these garbage "games" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84X0epDRFdTrybxEX8ZWkA pro tip though if you wanna watch all 4 games save omikron for last it is so terrible that you will want to die after watching it ( i know i did XD )

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol who have you been talking to that have told you good things you wanna see how bad their games are go to this youtube channel they have done full playthroughs of all 4 steaming piles of shit (omikron the nomad soul, indigo prophecy/ferenhiet, heavy rain, and beyond two souls) that david cage has dumped out you will get many hours of enjoyment watching them play these garbage "games" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84X0epDRFdTrybxEX8ZWkA pro tip though if you wanna watch all 4 games save omikron for last it is so terrible that you will want to die after watching it ( i know i did XD )
Damn you are dense

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't even read the OP. But why stop at children, ban all abuse, adults included. Why are children so special that they get special treatment. Aren't adults living breathing creatures with feelings and all that. Or do we just not care about adult victims, simply because of their age. Is this Ageism? Care only about Children because they are young.

I'd agree to an extent. Though, children have no way of defending themselves like adults do, from a biological perspective kids are far less developed than adults are. We care about children because they're weak and frail, so when a kid gets abused we get a lot more angry than when a fully grown man gets abused.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not even sure this could be called a game.

Well you play through it just like any other game, imo games should be allowed to explore deep, disturbing topics.

Hell if princess peach was raped by bowser, wouldn't you feel even more inclined to kick his ass?

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'd agree to an extent. Though, children have no way of defending themselves like adults do, from a biological perspective kids are far less developed than adults are. We care about children because they're weak and frail, so when a kid gets abused we get a lot more angry than when a fully grown man gets abused.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well you play through it just like any other game, imo games should be allowed to explore deep, disturbing topics.

Hell if princess peach was raped by bowser, wouldn't you feel even more inclined to kick his ass?
She's always being "kidnapped".. Let's be real here.

Astral_

GBAtemp elder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't read the whole thread, nor watched the video, but what I think can confuse non-gamers is that 'videogame' can now be anything, from pure gameplay/skill (VVVVV) to completely story-driven (Detroit:Become human), the latter kind being much newer. The public being told that a game includes a child abuse scene will assume that the player commits the action, which I don't believe is the case here.

Saying "books and movies can do it, why can't we" might be not enough in this case, perhaps we should point out that Detroit is much more a movie than a game (Cage sure did hear that before)

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It bothers me people are so pissy over this. The point of the child abuse in the game is to STOP IT FROM HAPPENING. If anything, this game puts out a positive message, to take action when you know something like this is going on. God knows with how people handle this stuff in a lot of cases, this is a good message to spread around.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It bothers me people are so pissy over this. The point of the child abuse in the game is to STOP IT FROM HAPPENING. If anything, this game puts out a positive message, to take action when you know something like this is going on. God knows with how people handle this stuff in a lot of cases, this is a good message to spread around.

Hmm, too bad the game doesn't let you go and beat up the one causing the abuse.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, too bad the game doesn't let you go and beat up the one causing the abuse.
Wrong. You can. Watch the trailer.
In one scene the abusive father is shot.

Curious.
Is "it is in there because it is an option for the human experience and we are making a game set within that" not enough? If it stops something then so much the better.
It is enough imo. I just find what I said rediculous because its the exact opposite message that people who are complaining about the game are implying. People cant see the good in anything, they just see controversial content, grab their keyboards, crack their knuckles, and go full justice warrior mode. So annoying. Same thing happens with anything like it. How many controversial books have now been banned in USA, then later unbanned, rebanned, etc? People annoy me.

Last edited by MadMageKefka,
Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1