Hardware Is it possible to output docked mode video through a laptop?

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I want to be able to run my launch-model Switch's video output (docked, through HDMI) through my Macbook Pro, since I don't have a TV or monitor handy at times - and I cannot stand the reduced resolution and sound quality of handheld mode, ugh, or the bloody JoyCons.

It is possible to do such, and if so, how? I've got a HDMI-to-USB-C adapter, and plugged it into my Macbook Pro, but...nothing. Do I need to fiddle with display settings or something?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to be able to run my launch-model Switch's video output (docked, through HDMI) through my Macbook Pro, since I don't have a TV or monitor handy at times - and I cannot stand the reduced resolution and sound quality of handheld mode, ugh, or the bloody JoyCons.

It is possible to do such, and if so, how? I've got a HDMI-to-USB-C adapter, and plugged it into my Macbook Pro, but...nothing. Do I need to fiddle with display settings or something?
Maybe this?

https://www.genkithings.com/products/shadowcast?variant=39404798017610

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3 main options if the laptop does not have a video in option (which are super rare, and I don't think I have ever seen on a mac)

1) You hack the Switch and do the network video thing. Not ideal really.

2) You get some kind of video capture device for the laptop. Could be a bit pricey for one that operates at a suitable resolution and latency but people have done this before you.

3) Internally most screens are going to be probably embedded displayport in their protocol, though you will have to check. The same things people do to wire up otherwise nice working screens of dead laptops also work to create a video pass through if you get really crazy. This is quite the engineering feat on a normal laptop, for something as anti user serviceable as the average piece of apple nastiness then if you are asking this question you are probably nowhere close. The screen will only display what is coming in via the cable (I guess you could buy further devices to blend in footage/do picture in picture and you are also back to network or buying capture devices if you wanted to do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the...