Hacking Is now a good time to hack my 5.0 Switch?

MD5HASH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple months ago I updated to 5.0 because I was impatient and wanted stuff from the eshop. I haven't been very active on the forums, but for a while it seemed the consensus was that 5.0 would be hackable following a big release this summer.

I now see that the firmware status post lists 'homebrew' and 'custom firmware' listed as available for 5.0. Should I go ahead and hack my switch, or will I get a more stable/complete experience if I wait a little longer? All I want is to run retroarch and homebrew (I somehow think that the ability to run retroarch on a portable and dockable console like the switch is all I've EVER wanted). I'm not interested in waiting for backup loaders.

If I should go ahead, can someone provide a link to the best tutorial?

Thanks!

Last edited by MD5HASH,

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
If you want "stuff from the eshop" you have to wait more; at the moment you can load only backups (.xci) from cartridge.
Also, if you load an unauthorized software your Switch will be banned (no more eShop access nor online play)

Reactions: MD5HASH

MD5HASH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do custom firmware and emulators count as 'unauthorized software?' I'm not interested in downloading anything unauthorized from the eshop, modding games, or cheating online. are there reports of people getting banned just by running homebrew?

Last edited by MD5HASH,

javicrazy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If i were you, I would wait, the scene is still in its first stages, and emulation etc will get way better with time.
I recommend u take a look at lakka.tv and follow his progress.

Im still waiting to get custom parrots themes on mine.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: maxx488 and MD5HASH

danny08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Do custom firmware and emulators count as 'unauthorized software?' I'm not interested in downloading anything unauthorized from the eshop, modding games, or cheating online. are there reports of people getting banned just by running homebrew?
Right now its just like already thinking about homebrew gets you Banned :D

MD5HASH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, since I'm a selfish coward, I think I'll wait until the dust has settled from the ban wave and there is a consensus as to what causes it. Thank you everyone!

maxx488

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, since I'm a selfish coward, I think I'll wait until the dust has settled from the ban wave and there is a consensus as to what causes it. Thank you everyone!
just buy sxos, dont play online with it (connected to wifi), activate it on pc, boot ofw if you want to play your games online and thats it. Dont doo anything else and you wont get banned. I can assure you since thats less that what i did and im not banned.

NathanPeterson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
just buy sxos, dont play online with it (connected to wifi), activate it on pc, boot ofw if you want to play your games online and thats it. Dont doo anything else and you wont get banned. I can assure you since thats less that what i did and im not banned.
How do you know if you're not banned if you've never gone online to check? :)

maxx488

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ha. Oh awesome. So you play backups on SX OX and do not ever go online. Then you go to OFW and connect to wifi and play your games you own? Do you do anything to ensure no ban?

yeah pretty much, i've read that the playlog in your acc doesnt track the cart id's from the games, only title id so.. Just play backups since homebrew might crash and ninty might get you. And dont update backups since we dont know yet if that checks for cart id's.

Reactions: NathanPeterson

TooEazyy_-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s always a good time to hack your switch ;)

.. but honestly though go for it, use the switch to it’s full potential, you’ll be happy you did.

Right now I’m just playing backups offline, not changing back to OFW until sx os is updated to the point that people are claiming it won’t get you banned

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: