Is there some kind of webcam shortage?

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I needed a new webcam (the one I have is ass) and I looked online and nothing's being sold at market price. All of the webcams I'm seeing are priced at $200+. Is it because of people working/doing class from home?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
See if you can find a playstation eye. Camera is not the absolute best but perfectly serviceable (it needed to be good to play games) and the audio is great (has 4 mics built in and they work well).

Equally if you get creative with software, or your required software is not awful and supports multiple ways of getting video, then some regular cameras can be used to do it and they will be as good as you need.

Reactions: zfreeman

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems like there is a shortage of a lot of things.

Is there no solution to hook up a phone and use it as a webcam?
Appearing as a camera via simple USB was probably a thing that vanished when we stopped getting phones with removable batteries and SD card slots. Even on big boy cameras it tends to be more the biggest of big boy (as in if it does not have a lens you can take off...) these days, old school ones were a bit different.

There are network based tools for it so you both connect to the same LAN/"virtual router" and hope firewall rules where you are at don't get in the way (modern Windows can be quite annoying). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam is one such example but I don't know what the current hotness might be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVQF0yPnTc +1