• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

"It makes no sense to have separated bathrooms."

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
There really is no sense in keeping separate bathrooms. Just use them and leave, if that's an issue for you than you are the issue.
I'm a male but I still want to have separate bathrooms for males and females, saying I'm the issue for wanting to keep something normal is kinda sad (you know women would be at risk in a unisex toilet)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There really is no sense in keeping separate bathrooms. Just use them and leave, if that's an issue for you than you are the issue.
Yeah I honestly couldn't care less either way. Public toilets are all either disgusting or fine depending on how often they're cleaned, and I've been the one who had to do the cleaning in my younger years. Everyone has unisex bathrooms in their house, so what does it really matter.

OTOH, I'm all in favor of doing something about the giant gaps in our stall doors, both at the floor and where they close/lock, as that seems to be exclusively a US design flaw.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
you know women would be at risk in a unisex toilet
Really now? Got any sources for that claim? Unisex bathrooms are becoming more and more common, so there should be evidence to back up that claim. And no, far-right fearmongering and terf sites aren't sources, there should be numbers that show a link between unisex bathrooms and crimes related to them.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Really now? Got any sources for that claim? Unisex bathrooms are becoming more and more common, so there should be evidence to back up that claim. And no, far-right scare-mongering and terf sites aren't sources, there should be numbers that show a link between unisex bathrooms and crimes related to them.
Isn't it easier to use common sense and think a little, it won't matter which source I give you or which article I link, people don't like opposing views, let me ask you this: Doesn't unisex bathrooms increase an assault or rape probability even by a 1%? You can't just say: nah, not possible.... you know why? too many people, most of us are normal people with respect for one another but once in a while you will find a deranged one, doesn't matter where you are, so for me, unisex bathrooms increase the possibility. Also terf is a stupid word

Reactions: TraderPatTX

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Isn't it easier to use common sense and think a little, it won't matter which source I give you or which article I link, people don't like opposing views, let me ask you this: Doesn't unisex bathrooms increase an assault or rape probability even by a 1%? You can't just say: nah, not possible.... you know why? too many people, most of us are normal people with respect for one another but once in a while you will find a deranged one, doesn't matter where you are, so for me, unisex bathrooms increase the possibility. Also terf is a stupid word
I am legit asking for a source, I am interested and seeing if there is a problem that is recorded and should be addressed. Otherwise, I am just going to assume the claim is junk and made only to try to form some "debate." Unisex bathrooms are on the rise, the city I live in now has more unisex bathrooms than gendered ones. If these are actually causing problems, then that should be addressed.
That being said, have gendered bathrooms even stopped assaults from happening? If that is your fear, then I will tell you that gendered bathrooms have never stopped anyone. If you are claiming normal people don't care, then why should they suddenly care when there are unisex bathrooms? If people are in there to use the bathroom, then why should there be an issue? If someone is in there for other reasons, then a gendered bathroom was never going to stop them in the first place.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I am legit asking for a source, I am interested and seeing if there is a problem that is recorded and should be addressed. Otherwise, I am just going to assume the claim is junk and made only to try to form some "debate." Unisex bathrooms are on the rise, the city I live in now has more unisex bathrooms than gendered ones. If these are actually causing problems, then that should be addressed.
That being said, have gendered bathrooms even stopped assaults from happening? If that is your fear, then I will tell you that gendered bathrooms have never stopped anyone. If you are claiming normal people don't care, then why should they suddenly care when there are unisex bathrooms? If people are in there to use the bathroom, then why should there be an issue? If someone is in there for other reasons, then a gendered bathroom was never going to stop them in the first place.
What I said is that it raises the odds of assault happening, not that it will happen 100% of the time. Of course gendered bathrooms didn't stop assaults from happening but with unisex ones the risk really is higher. Can you tell me if what I said doesn't make sense? I know why you want sources for this, however it's not like I have to provide sources for my claim. I'm just using common sense (even if I use a source some people are like : you're using that as a source?, not convincing)
Edit: We are in a forum so it is kinda a debate, people are entitled to their opinions after all

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loathe this topic but "common sense" is a relative concept because what's "common" to someone is different on the person. If you're going to talk about probability and risk, you should actually probably actually include numbers. Otherwise this is just "I think this is what happens" and no one really has to respect that.

Also just because you don't know what you're talking about doesn't make it a stupid word.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I loathe this topic but "common sense" is a relative concept because what's "common" to someone is different on the person. If you're going to talk about probability and risk, you should actually probably actually include numbers. Otherwise this is just "I think this is what happens" and no one really has to respect that. Also just because you don't know what you're talking about doesn't make it a stupid word.
You have a point there, common sense is relative. I just find the word terf silly, it's like a name for an alien race in a marvel comic

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What I said is that it raises the odds of assault happening, not that it will happen 100% of the time. Of course gendered bathrooms didn't stop assaults from happening but with unisex ones the risk really is higher. Can you tell me if what I said doesn't make sense? I know why you want sources for this, however it's not like I have to provide sources for my claim. I'm just using common sense
I actually don't think this makes sense, I feel like that's more or less fearmongering. Again, these kinds of people already don't care about the gendered bathrooms, they were already not going to listen to the signs, to begin with. If you are going to say that the likelihood should increase, then that's actually something that can be measured as unisex bathrooms have been on the rise in recent years. One should expect to see spikes in assaults in cities with higher amounts of unisex bathrooms vs cities that gendered bathrooms. If you can't provide numbers then you aren't accomplishing anything.
So you wouldn't mind 40 year old men peeing next to your daughter?
Tell me you've never gone into a public unisex bathroom without telling me

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a point there, common sense is relative. I just find the word terf silly, it's like a name for an alien race in a marvel comic
Yeah really don't get this conclusion especially when the word serves as an acronym. Can't exactly be picky with what it sounds like past that.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I actually don't think this makes sense, I feel like that's more or less fearmongering. Again, these kinds of people already don't care about the gendered bathrooms, they were already not going to listen to the signs, to begin with. If you are going to say that the likelihood should increase, then that's actually something that can be measured as unisex bathrooms have been on the rise in recent years. One should expect to see spikes in assaults in cities with higher amounts of unisex bathrooms vs cities that gendered bathrooms. If you can't provide numbers then you aren't accomplishing anything.

Tell me you've never gone into a public unisex bathroom without telling me
It's just my opinion after all so I don't feel the need to include sources, I am entitled to my opnion and there's nothing that can be done, I feel that bathrooms should be separated by genders like it always has. It's not like I'm trying to change your opinions or anything. Nowadays everything can be fearmongering so... that's that
Yeah really don't get this conclusion especially when the word serves as an acronym. Can't exactly be picky with what it sounds like past that.
Even if it's an acronym it's still a silly word, why use something like that? What if I'm a trans-exclusionary but I'm neither racist or feminist? That's the problem with that word for me

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's just my opinion after all so I don't feel the need to include sources, I am entitled to my opnion and there's nothing that can be done, I feel that bathrooms should be separated by genders like it always has. It's not like I'm trying to change your opinions or anything. Nowadays everything can be fearmongering so... that's that
That's fine that it's your opinion and I will stop bothering you on this. It did come off as fearmongering when you present it as "common sense" or "you know this will harm women." I am simply pointing out the issues with those statements.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Even if it's an acronym it's still a silly word, why use something like that? What if I'm a trans-exclusionary but I'm neither racist or feminist? That's the problem with that word for me
For one, the r is for radical. And then it doesn't apply to you. Almost like it's not supposed to refer to YOU specifically. That's just a transphobe. It's used specifically when people want to address people who feign to be feminists. It's like complaining "KGB Agents? but what if I'm just an FBI agent?" (no, this isn't a good example, I could not come up with something better. Live with it.) Reread the original context it was used.
And no, far-right fearmongering and terf sites aren't sources
Ie: Don't use sources that claim to be feminist but are exclusionary. That's why it's used. Again it really sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited by Tsukiru,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you should ask women how they would feel having men in their bathrooms.
Post automatically merged:

Nobody forced you to respond to my original comment, therefore, I brought nothing upon myself.
If I was a woman I wouldn't care who else is in the bathroom as long as there's enough stools for privacy.
What, are all men supposed to be seen as perverts or something? What about other women? Shouldn't we all logically just feel unsafe in general if there's another human in the bathroom, then?

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
For one, the r is for radical. And then it doesn't apply to you. Almost like it's not supposed to refer to YOU specifically. That's just a transphobe. Reread the original context it was used.

Ie: Don't use sources that claim to be feminist but are exclusionary. That's why it's used. Again it really sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.
Oh wow, now I feel a little embarrased at my lack of knowledge in this matter, I always thoght it was R= for racist and it seemed off for some reason but after searching for 2 minutes I see the context in which it's used, still silly but nonetheless I admit I didn't know fully what the word was.
That's fine that it's your opinion and I will stop bothering you on this. It did come off as fearmongering when you present it as "common sense" or "you know this will harm women." I am simply pointing out the issues with those statements.
It's just that everything is changig so much nowadays that what used to be norm before now it's not, my fear is having to use a unisex bathroom one day because there's no alternative (I would not feel confortable with a woman in the bathroom) but the only thing I can do is express my opinions and that's it. That fact that some might consider them fearmongering tells just how much the world has changed in the last decade. I just don't like change, that's all there after all

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's just that everything is changig so much nowadays that what used to be norm before now it's not, my fear is having to use a unisex bathroom one day because there's no alternative (I would not feel confortable with a woman in the bathroom) but the only thing I can do is express my opinions and that's it. That fact that some might consider them fearmongering tells just how much the world has changed in the last decade. I just don't like change, that's all there after all
I kind of understand where you are coming from, I still either use unisex or women's restrooms because I am not comfortable changing which bathroom I use. Eventually, both of us are going to need to address our own anxieties because shit is going to keep changing with or without our input.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, now I feel a little embarrased at my lack of knowledge in this matter, I always thoght it was R= for racist and it seemed off for some reason but after searching for 2 minutes I see the context in which it's used, still silly but nonetheless I admit I didn't know fully what the word was.

Not sure what still makes it silly but that's a broader context than I am willing to discuss.

I think this speaks to a better problem of not accepting change, as it is inevitable with time. You don't have to accept every change but "I just don't like change" isn't a very helpful mindset going forward.

Also should just avoid public bathrooms. This is unrelated to separation or unisex, they're gross period and I just don't use them when out and about period. "But what about when-" I usually don't have to. Of the few times I've had to use a bathroom it's not like I know or see anyone in the other stalls. More preoccupied with get in and out as fast as I can.

Xerokard

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: