Junichi Masuda responds to backlash over Pokemon Sword and Shield not including every Pokemon

fgBFDru.png

When it was revealed at E3 2019 that not every Pokemon would be available in Pokemon Sword and Shield, the internet erupted in rage, with players upset by the idea that some of their favorites might not be usable in the latest Pokemon entries. A few weeks after the initial outcry, Game Freak has decided to step forward with an official statement on the matter. Pokemon series producer and director Junichi Masuda claimed that Game Freak is passionate about every Pokemon that they've created, but that the company had to make the difficult choice to not include the full lineup of over 800 monsters. Masuda also says that even if some Pokemon won't be in this series of games, they still have a chance to appear in further entries, later down the line. Perhaps that means we'll see a full Pokedex when the inevitable revision or sequel game releases one day.

For those unimpeded by the controversy, Pokemon Sword and Shield is set to launch worldwide on November 15th.

Thank you to all of our fans for caring so deeply about Pokémon. Recently, I shared the news that some Pokémon cannot be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. I've read all your comments and appreciate your love and passion for Pokémon.

Just like all of you, we are passionate about Pokémon and each and every one of them is very important to us. After so many years of developing the Pokémon video games, this was a very difficult decision for me. I'd like to make one thing clear: even if a specific Pokémon is not available in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, that does not mean it will not appear in future games.

The world of Pokémon continues to evolve. The Galar region offers new Pokémon to encounter, Trainers to battle, and adventures to embark on. We are pouring our hearts into these games, and we hope you will look forward to joining us on this new journey.

Junichi Masuda

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The models already are in HD.
This is true, but I wonder if it has something to do with adapting them all to the overworld where the models have to be refined for 360 degree viewing, new animations, etc. Not to mention each wild Pokemon will supposedly have different behaviors and reactions to the trainer. And they each spawn based on different conditions/weather. I could see adding all this for 800+ Mons being extremely time-consuming.

Not that I'm trying to change anyone's mind here. The die-hard "catch 'em all" fans have every right to be angry regardless of the reasoning behind GF's decision.

Last edited by Xzi,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Think positively people
at least you'll fill up pokedex pages quicker as there aren't that many pokemons around to catch.
I doubt that anyone would go to use every possible Pokemon out of the 800+ species.
So people stop being this greedy.
I'm actually glad in fact that they removed some excess pokemons that I can't bear to even remember their names
Probably you can catch all the pokemon when the enhanced versions "Broken Shield" en "Tiny Sword" are released.
To put it better: Tiny Shield and Broken Sword.
That would be more fitting for a proper naming,should that ever become a possibility lol.

Reactions: julian6732

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is true, but I wonder if it has something to do with adapting them all to the overworld where the models have to be refined for 360 degree viewing, new animations, etc. Not to mention each wild Pokemon will supposedly have different behaviors and reactions to the trainer. And they each spawn based on different conditions/weather. I could see adding all this for 800+ Mons being extremely time-consuming.

Not that I'm trying to change anyone's mind here. The die-hard "catch 'em all" fans have every right to be angry regardless of the reasoning behind GF's decision.
Not all Pokémon in the game will be on wild. You only need that new model for those that can be found on wild and maybe a null one, not for every single Pokémon.

D

Deleted User

Another thread debating the same topic that has already been debated all over the internet.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not all Pokémon in the game will be on wild. You only need that new model for those that can be found on wild and maybe a null one, not for every single Pokémon.
Seems like they want pretty much every Pokemon available in the game to be catchable in the wild, or at least in raid battles. I could be wrong about that, though.

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
People who don't understand game budgets: "They're so lazy!"

LOL they have one the biggest budgets in the world , ITS POKEMON ,you just cannot use that argument when a team like CD project red creates something as detailled and advanced like the witcher 3 with 1% of what Game freak can easily afford.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I never thought this idea of releasing a 100 new ones every generation was sustainable for the brand in the first place. It's not like the players buy it for that... some marketing director put this on their mind long ago and they stuck to it.

They could have kept a smaller pace or refined the existing ones, have half the Pokémon overall and still be equally successful. Oh well.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...