Junichi Masuda responds to backlash over Pokemon Sword and Shield not including every Pokemon

fgBFDru.png

When it was revealed at E3 2019 that not every Pokemon would be available in Pokemon Sword and Shield, the internet erupted in rage, with players upset by the idea that some of their favorites might not be usable in the latest Pokemon entries. A few weeks after the initial outcry, Game Freak has decided to step forward with an official statement on the matter. Pokemon series producer and director Junichi Masuda claimed that Game Freak is passionate about every Pokemon that they've created, but that the company had to make the difficult choice to not include the full lineup of over 800 monsters. Masuda also says that even if some Pokemon won't be in this series of games, they still have a chance to appear in further entries, later down the line. Perhaps that means we'll see a full Pokedex when the inevitable revision or sequel game releases one day.

For those unimpeded by the controversy, Pokemon Sword and Shield is set to launch worldwide on November 15th.

Thank you to all of our fans for caring so deeply about Pokémon. Recently, I shared the news that some Pokémon cannot be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. I've read all your comments and appreciate your love and passion for Pokémon.

Just like all of you, we are passionate about Pokémon and each and every one of them is very important to us. After so many years of developing the Pokémon video games, this was a very difficult decision for me. I'd like to make one thing clear: even if a specific Pokémon is not available in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, that does not mean it will not appear in future games.

The world of Pokémon continues to evolve. The Galar region offers new Pokémon to encounter, Trainers to battle, and adventures to embark on. We are pouring our hearts into these games, and we hope you will look forward to joining us on this new journey.

Junichi Masuda

:arrow: Source

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's not what HD means. But I aint gonna explain this. It's being explained many times, and I'm just tired. For the first time in my life, I wish this Pokémon game fail.
I know what HD means but it's kinda sad and pathetic when an HD game almost looks worse and in some ways even does than a pokemon game that came out in 480p max on the gamecube itself

Last edited by kumikochan,

Chizko

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I don't care really, my perfect shiny Charizard is confirmed.....but why put this statement if nothing change that they say before? This is just a confirmation to the speculation, they don't make any new (old) model for Pokémon SS post launch.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Makes sense.

Love all the crybabies whining, stamping their feet and saying they won't buy it.
Come launch day they'll all be playing it, rofl.

I guess that's what happens when your main playerbase are children (who don't care) and manchildren (who care a bit too much).

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way I'll be okay with this decision is if the game's file size is exactly or very close to 32 GB. But if the game turns out to be even 28 GB or less, I'm gonna call shenanigans and they could've definitely fit every pokemon with ease. Outside of running out of space, there's absolutely no justifiable reason to exclude any pokemon. Even then, they can just put what doesn't fit as free dlc or something.

A Generic User

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does this statement even have to exist? It's literally a retread of stuff he said two weeks ago...
They really aren't making the situation any better by repeatedly clarifying it.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, I'd say it was a lot lazier releasing so many generations with no changes to the gameplay loop whatsoever. Let's Go at least felt somewhat fresh because of the Pokemon in the overworld and the catching mechanics. Similarly, Sword/Shield should feel fresh because of the open world, raid battles, etc.

Generations 3-7 may as well have been DLC for generation 1 and 2. Of course, DLC wasn't really a thing back then, but I think you get my point.

Exactly, this time we're seeing real change, something that the series desperately needed for years.
I seriously don't understand why people only focus on the glass half empty and nothing else.

The only way I'll be okay with this decision is if the game's file size is exactly or very close to 32 GB. But if the game turns out to be even 28 GB or less, I'm gonna call shenanigans and they could've definitely fit every pokemon with ease. Outside of running out of space, there's absolutely no justifiable reason to exclude any pokemon. Even then, they can just put what doesn't fit as free dlc or something.
The size of a game doesn't matter at all. Like really size is absolutely not a problem here.

Why not delay the game and hire more staff.
There are diminishing returns in constantly having more people join a project. Doubling the size a team will not get the job done twice as fast.

Last edited by deinonychus71,
Reactions: Arcanuskun

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
so basically the third version will include national dex and be the same exact game with a new legendary imo, that is probably what it will be ...

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
I don't mind, but one thing kinda irked me in his statement, in this day n age, DLC is a good way to addon stuff o your game, he could have said, we can add more later, but nope, he said they'll be available in later games ... ummmm ...fuck you too?

Reactions: DarthDub

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How many of you have shipped a game with 800 pokemon?

It's not just a case of dumping hd models into the game and everything magically working.

They seem to have started again from scratch with this game, so you have a choice, either this or no pokemon.

It wouldn't be cost effective to do what you want.

The existing pokedex is completely unbalanced, sometimes you have to take a stand and fix things.

Last edited by smf,

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How many of you have shipped a game with 800 pokemon?

It's not just a case of dumping hd models into the game and everything magically working.

They seem to have started again from scratch with this game, so you have a choice, either this or no pokemon.

It wouldn't be cost effective to do what you want.
No.
The models and animations are the same of the 3DS games.

Reactions: DSoryu

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No.
The models and animations are the same of the 3DS games.

Did you read what I said? It's not just the case of dumping the models in the game if they are re balancing and adding new functionality, which they say they are.

I am not an expert on the game, but if you google there seems to be people pointing out that the models aren't even the same in every case but people are cherry picking examples to make a point. Which is kinda pointless really.

The game has been in development for years, it will be another year before it's out. They are certainly doing something with their time.

Wait until it's released before having a meltdown.

Last edited by smf,
D

Deleted User

Hey, wouldn't you guys rather them put more money into graphics/mechanics instead of the whole budget going into having all the Pokemon looking just "okay".

They're still using the Pokedex 3D models, just adding minor animations here and there. You can see on the e3 footage that it isn't anything groundbreaking like they make it sound.
(Heck they didn't even bother adding the Pokemon translator yet, it's a feature meant for X and Y )
At least on the switch it might not run like garbage just because they refuse to reduce the amount of polygons.
Personally I would much rather have the game looking like black and white, 2D sprites and an actually well designed and thought out overworld, instead of another boring 3D poke with tons of corner cutting to make it for release.
They already save tons of time since they don't update the 3d models like they used to do with the sprites

I'd put all the money into redoing the archaic Pokemon core engine, which yokai watch and dragon quest monsters proved can be done well without ruining its essence.
(They wouldn't do it though, even the new Pokemon are always designed especifically to be an echo of the first/second gen. Bear, Pikachu variant, new cat, new caterpie, horse,bird, dog, etc since at least DPPt)

In reality they're probably allocating a lot of their work force on Town ( which wasn't even shown at e3 this year ) and other projects, leaving Pokemon to have another crummy half assed entry.

Haven't seen that slogan since Gen 3.

It was brought back after X and Y, so it's a valid point.

StarHime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
People seem to fail to understand the problem: the reduced Pokédex isn't the problem, it's just a symptom of the main problem of the series from quite some time, the lack of ambition.

Since quite some time, it seems that the series doesn't try to offer a new experience anymore, but instead just goes for the same formula that worked for them since Red and Blue: you start in your town with your 3 pokemon and your rival, beat gyms, defeat the evil guys and eventually become Champion. Which was fine at first, but it's been 20 years of games and it's starting to become boring. Even with some minor changes, like S&M, the base is exactly the same.

This stagnation isn't just about the story, but also the gameplay. We haven't seen any major gameplay permanent change since Gen 4 physical/special move split, bar XY fairy type. Yes, mechanics such as megas or z moves have been introduced, but they weren't expanded after being introduced and they are being outright removed in SwSh, and I'm 100% positive that Dynamax will follow the same route after this gen.

And the fact is that Game Freak seems to have this weird obsession of removing things after one/two game/s such as following Pokémon, Battle Frontier, Hard Mode,... Of course you can't have all gimmicks in one game (things like Pokéball decoration in DPPt or the Pokéwalker, for example), but these things in particular are heavily wished features from quite a long time.

And this is without dwelling in many of the series problems which seem to be seen as perfectly normal by the fanbase (two editions, third edition the next year with minor changes, unregulated competitive gameplay,...)

I'm not going to say GameFreak is lazy, or the devs or Masuda are to blame (people who are insulting or harassing them, that's NOT okay), it's obvious that this happens because of the high executives of the company/Nintendo/The Pokémon Company eventually realized that they could slap the barebones mechanics of the series, 50 new Pokémon and a subpar story and call it a day, and people would still buy the games happily.

Sorry for the rant, but it bothers me a bit seeing both people who would be perfectly fine with the game if it just included the National Dex and people who think we are just complaining because of the lack of Pokémon (in fact, I've been complaining since the first trailer lol). Heck, I'll be perfectly fine with a limited Pokédex if they tried to innovate on the story and gameplay aspects: do the Breath of The Wild of Pokémon, or the Oddysey of Pokémon. Many classic series are doing it, why not Pokémon?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright