JXD S7800? Seems like a pretty obscure device.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I know the newer versions offer better compatibility with some of the games that didn't work at all or very well, but it seemed to be at the expense of performance across the board (isn't it always!)

So I've stuck with the older version because apart from one or two games, it plays everything I want it to anyway.

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Is it true the kernel is now open source and many of the previous issues (HDMI out stuttering, 58 Hz, etc) have all been neutralized by Webclaw? If these issues have been indeed been fixed, it's gonna be a tough choice between the JXD and nVidia Shield. PPSSPP uses a JIT core, so, the newer versions, well, at least the beta GIT builds should be faster. Have you test the 0.9.9.1 GIT beta builds at all?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Is it true the kernel is now open source and many of the previous issues (HDMI out stuttering, 58 Hz, etc) have all been neutralized by Webclaw? If these issues have been indeed been fixed, it's gonna be a tough choice between the JXD and nVidia Shield. PPSSPP uses a JIT core, so, the newer versions, well, at least the beta GIT builds should be faster. Have you test the 0.9.9.1 GIT beta builds at all?

Yep, all issues with the S7800 are now solved. No HDMI problems, no hiccups, no restricted Axis movement on the right analogue stick, 60 hz locked. The device now is as it should be.

I've not tried the very latest builds it has to be said. But in honesty, the S7800 is collecting dust at the moment since I got a PSP3000 a few months back and thats now my go to device for PSP and PS1 stuff which is more or less all I play "on the go"

Also, JXD no longer make or support the S7800 (hence why the source code was released) so your now at even more of a risk so to speak if you import one and get a dud. So if you were planning on getting one, i'd say its even more important now to source one locally who will give you some kind of warranty personally if you have any issues.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, all issues with the S7800 are now solved. No HDMI problems, no hiccups, no restricted Axis movement on the right analogue stick, 60 hz locked. The device now is as it should be.

I've not tried the very latest builds it has to be said. But in honesty, the S7800 is collecting dust at the moment since I got a PSP3000 a few months back and thats now my go to device for PSP and PS1 stuff which is more or less all I play "on the go"

Also, JXD no longer make or support the S7800 (hence why the source code was released) so your not at even more of a risk so to speak if you import one and get a dud. So if you were planning on getting one, i'd say its even more important now to source one locally who will give you some kind of warranty personally if you have any issues.

Oh right, I think I remember reading that they no longer support it, so there is an increased risk of getting royally screwed over. I could get on on eBay, as I've seen people sell them. The PSP is good for PSP and PSX ISO images, but Snes emulation, not so much, there are many issues with old-school emulation accuracy, so a Shield portable would be ideal as it's inexpensive, very powerful (Tegra 4 chip), but also runs Android like the JXD, and I'm glad those issues have finally be resolved. Funny how hackers often do a better job than paid programmers do at companies lol :P

Edit: See one from Canada http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-JXD...1676581124?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3ced23c104

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh right, I think I remember reading that they no longer support it, so there is an increased risk of getting royally screwed over. I could get on on eBay, as I've seen people sell them. The PSP is good for PSP and PSX ISO images, but Snes emulation, not so much, there are many issues with old-school emulation accuracy, so a Shield portable would be ideal as it's inexpensive, very powerful (Tegra 4 chip), but also runs Android like the JXD, and I'm glad those issues have finally be resolved. Funny how hackers often do a better job than paid programmers do at companies lol :P

Edit: See one from Canada http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-JXD...1676581124?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3ced23c104

If you can one locally and get the warranty from who you buy it from then its a no brainer for me. The S7800, whilst not on the same level as the Nvidia Shield in terms of performance just feels that much better because of the layout of the device and the quality of the screen.

The way I see it, the Shield offers more power, but its only apparent in areas where I wouldn't use the device. Yes it will play high end android games better and its got the function also to stream to device from PCs but both of these are mute for me. In terms of emulation, specifically 8 bit and 16 bit and the handhelds etc, they are both identical as they both up to the job of running games perfectly.

Yeah the PSP is great for PSP and PSX games but I gave emulation a wide birth for other things. I have a Master System and Gameboy Color emulator on there and they seem to work flawlessly. The Sega Genesis one is pretty decent too. But yeah the other two main ones I would have liked in GBA and SNES are too spotty for my liking.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can one locally and get the warranty from who you buy it from then its a no brainer for me. The S7800, whilst not on the same level as the Nvidia Shield in terms of performance just feels that much better because of the layout of the device and the quality of the screen.

Yeah the PSP is great for PSP and PSX games but I gave emulation a wide birth for other things. I have a Master System and Gameboy Color emulator on there and they seem to work flawlessly. The Sega Genesis one is pretty decent too. But yeah the other two main ones I would have liked in GBA and SNES are too spotty for my liking.

Yeah, the PSP just doesn't have the power to run better versions of Snes9x, the one it has is based off of 1.43, and the sound is wholly inaccurate and spotty as hell. I can't seem to be finding this device sold locally, either from Canada, Hong Kong or mainland China, nowhere have I seen it sold in the US proper. The Shield is appealing because it too can output in 4K resolution (if your TV supports it), that, and I found out there are two entries for it, brand new, one for $99 Canadian ($87.88 or so in USD) http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NVIDIA-...US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item3a9d14ae5a

With shipping, that's about 110 dollars.

And another one for $150 USD http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-Shie...1517237559?pt=Video_Games&hash=item418bbc2537 That makes it really hard to pass up lol, especially the first one for 88 dollars. XD Not trying to shoot down or come across as being ungrateful for your suggestions, not at all.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, the PSP just doesn't have the power to run better versions of Snes9x, the one it has is based off of 1.43, and the sound is wholly inaccurate and spotty as hell. I can't seem to be finding this device sold locally, either from Canada, Hong Kong or mainland China, nowhere have I seen it sold in the US proper. The Shield is appealing because it too can output in 4K resolution (if your TV supports it), that, and I found out there are two entries for it, brand new, one for $99 Canadian ($87.88 or so in USD) http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NVIDIA-...US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item3a9d14ae5a

With shipping, that's about 110 dollars.

And another one for $150 USD http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-Shie...1517237559?pt=Video_Games&hash=item418bbc2537 That makes it really hard to pass up lol, especially the first one for 88 dollars. XD Not trying to shoot down or come across as being ungrateful for your suggestions, not at all.

Careful of the first one, thats $99...just for a controller, not the shield itself.

If you can get a shield for $150 then in fairness its probably then the better deal just for the price alone. I think it boils down to preference. I just cant go back from gaming on a 7" screen to one smaller if I was given the choice.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Careful of the first one, thats $99...just for a controller, not the shield itself.

If you can get a shield for $150 then in fairness its probably then the better deal just for the price alone. I think it boils down to preference. I just cant go back from gaming on a 7" screen to one smaller if I was given the choice.

Whoops, didn't realize that, damn...okay, yeah, seems it's for that Shield Tablet. $150 is the cheapest I've seen a new Shield portable though.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, I'd still wait it out. I think something else will come out in 2015, with bigger and better specs. Thats what I'm going to do now. So what comes first, a totally hacked Vita, or an android device that has a higher build quality and is a bit more up to date. With things like Dreamcast emulation getting better and better and PSP emulation getting better, the older devices are beginning not to cut it for the newer stuff.

I've been keeping tabs on this actually, you may want to have a look!

http://boards.dingoonity.org/android-devices/iplay-(tegra-4-7')/

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'd still wait it out. I think something else will come out in 2015, with bigger and better specs. Thats what I'm going to do now. So what comes first, a totally hacked Vita, or an android device that has a higher build quality and is a bit more up to date. With things like Dreamcast emulation getting better and better and PSP emulation getting better, the older devices are beginning not to cut it for the newer stuff.

Well, I'm not exactly the most patient of people, keep in mind that newer hardware will be much more expensive and $150 is a real steal compared to the $200 price tag of the Shield. I already asked one for Christmas, so I might get it, might not, not sure at the moment. The Shield Tablet is the portable's successor, but that isn't cheap either, at $300, Dolphin now runs on it and is made to be optimized. The Shield also runs PSP games quite well, as with Reicast (the DC emulator). I mean, yeah, I could wait, but unfortunately, I have issues with being patient I must admit, and would personally rather get something soonish, while they're cheap, and not something new and pricey. The Shield runs RetroArch at full speed for all the cores, PSX emulation's spot on, PSP runs very well, a new device is something I would not be able to buy.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also, the Nvidia Shield (The tablet not the clam one) has some power behind it as well and if any devices come out with the K1 on board then this should become a reality. Here is Dolphin on a K1. Not perfect, but for a start, thats not bad

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, the Nvidia Shield (The tablet not the clam one) has some power behind it as well and if any devices come out with the K1 on board then this should become a reality. Here is Dolphin on a K1. Not perfect, but for a start, thats not bad

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, they're optimizing Dolphin for the Shield Tablet. As for me, I don't like tablets, they seem cumbersome and that one is pretty expensive, $150-$200 is the absolute limit for me.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you see the one above I edited in?

This one

http://boards.dingoonity.org/android-devices/iplay-(tegra-4-7')/

This should come in in your price range

Huh, looks pretty nice actually, but, what's known about it, is the build quality good, will it last long (more than a month), are there kernel issues? Sorry for the numerous questions, but I honestly can't help but get wary with Chinese Android devices I know little about, how long they last, if they don't end up DOA, I'm just too paranoid I guess. Ugh...

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Huh, looks pretty nice actually, but, what's known about it, is the build quality good, will it last long (more than a month), are there kernel issues? Sorry for the numerous questions, but I honestly can't help but get wary with Chinese Android devices I know little about, how long they last, if they don't end up DOA, I'm just too paranoid I guess. Ugh...

Well, its not been out too long so waiting to see whats written up about it. But there are plenty of videos going up on youtube and seeing as its Tegra 4 it should be pretty straightforward with no issues at least in terms of performance. It does look very promising

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, its not been out too long so waiting to see whats written up about it. But there are plenty of videos going up on youtube and seeing as its Tegra 4 it should be pretty straightforward with no issues at least in terms of performance. It does look very promising

Indeed, how much does it cost though, I tried looking for a price but it seemed to have eluded me. I'm still quite wary about obscure Chinese devices for some reason, no offense... I've heard horror stories about customer service, RMAing a DOA device, shipments taking over a month, I don't want that.\

That Virus_god dude seems like kind of a prick, he doesn't want to answer how he did certain things.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...GHz-Android-4-2-Tablet/110084_1970780246.html

They will come down in price though I believe once they start getting sold at a load more outlets.

And is it just me, or is that Virus_god dude on that thread kind of a dick? He's deliberately ignoring members' inquiries lol. Yeah, that price range is way too high, too out of range, no idea if/when the price will go down. $150 is just too hard to pass up, and also, the Shield has 1080p/4K HDMI out support, the screen itself is 720p at 5 inches, but for that size...anyways. Already asked for a Shield for Christmas, not sure if I'll get it or not. Having said that, the Shield gets more flack than it should, it's not THAT bad lol.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And is it just me, or is that Virus_god dude on that thread kind of a dick? He's deliberately ignoring members' inquiries lol. Yeah, that price range is way too high, too out of range, no idea if/when the price will go down. $150 is just too hard to pass up, and also, the Shield has 1080p/4K HDMI out support, the screen itself is 720p at 5 inches, but for that size...anyways. Already asked for a Shield for Christmas, not sure if I'll get it or not. Having said that, the Shield gets more flack than it should, it's not THAT bad lol.

Its not bad at all, it just doesn't lend itself to longer gaming periods because of its design. If it wasn't for that I'd say it was more or less faultless.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not bad at all, it just doesn't lend itself to longer gaming periods because of its design. If it wasn't for that I'd say it was more or less faultless.

You can always hook it up to a TV via HDMI and use a Wii remote or Bluetooth controller with it, then you'll have more comfort I would imagine. Also do keep in mind it was their first attempt at making a gaming console, so, I give them the benefit of the doubt. With the Tablet, you can use BT controllers too. I just get wary with Chinese devices.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn