Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Empire of the Ants (1977)

220px-Empire_of_the_ants_film_poster.jpg

Animal Science Fiction Horror Movie about radioactive Mutations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_the_Ants_(film)

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Una Cangura Muy Dura a Todo Gas se convierte en Lobezna y lanza Rashos Lasers por los Ojos y Ondas Vitales (read with dumb spanish accent)
babysitter-e1508260729427.jpg

Some days ago while looking for gore art references, came across a picture of Samara Weaving smiling and I was like: "Ooooh... who's this cute girl?"
Then I clicked on the picture and surprise surprise! she's the protagonist of a Netflix Movie.
And I was like: "Well... I fucking have Netflix so I'ma watch this just so I can see her"
Then, I searched for this in Netflix and indeed found the movie.
It kind of has that Robert Rodriguez Movie vibe... you know what I mean... cheesy with what seems to be good acting for a movie of this genre.
I kinda wanted to quit at this for some moments, until I saw two girls kissing followed by an assasination...
(surprise surprise! two things that I happen to like Girls Kissing and Gore)
So it has two girs kissing and lots of gory/funy/cheesy situations where a bunch of perfectly cliché-ed teenagers gets what they deserve.
Yeah, that'll be my review.

Fun fact: Samara Weaving is (probably) the third girl that I happen to like while we share the same age.
The other two are: Mila and Sara.​

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Empire of the Ants (1977)

View attachment 217541

Animal Science Fiction Horror Movie about radioactive Mutations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_the_Ants_(film)
Like... do you own these movies? Or is there a dedicated tv channel in your country?
The closest I can get to see these movies is a channel called TCM And most of the times is a Nico Movie ¬_¬

Last edited by JuanMena,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gappa: The Triphibian Monster (1967)

81Eai3CvmgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought the blu ray release of this a couple weeks ago and finally got around to watching it today. It's an old tokusatsu with special effects by a former Toho employee, but not quite up to the standards set by Toho. The plot was pretty reminiscent of Mothra and it was a fun movie overall, but nothing groundbreaking.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bad Guy (2001)
MV5BMTk3OTI5MTc3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzc1MTkyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

An unfeeling gangster seeks to ruin the life of a young girl who rejected him. He forces her into prostitution and spies on her regularly, then he soon begins to fall for her.
Ridiculous, illogical, nonsense.
Degredation and abuse presented as romance... much like the "50 Shades..." franchise.
Avoid.

Last edited by duwen,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oculus (2013)

MV5BMTc3MzA5MzE4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjExMTQwMTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Been meaning to see this one since it came out... only just got around to it.
I've become quite a fan of Mike Flanagan's other films (Hush, Geralds Game, Doctor Sleep) and TV (Haunting of Hill House), so this one was long overdue.
Definitely one of the better Blumhouse movies, and probably the best 'cursed mirror' movie out there, but far from perfect.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So... last night I had a double-bill of sci-fi horror 'remakes', both of which I've seen before...

First up...
The Thing (2011)
MV5BMTMxMjI0MzUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjc1NzE5NQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

Let me just say - John Carpenters 1982 film is one of my favourite films ever.
I wasn't struck on this prequel (yeah, spoilers, it's not actually a remake) when I originally saw it when it first released... but tbh, when you can get past the studio's interference with replacing the practical effects with not-so-great CG and how they butchered the ending, it's actually pretty good. Dovetails nicely into the '82 film as well.

Next up...
The Blob (1988)
MV5BZWI0NzQwYjEtNWJmOS00ZWZmLWE5ZGYtNjE3ZjQwMWU5MTk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg4NzYzMzA@._V1_.jpg

Another one I originally saw at the cinema when it first released, but haven't watched it for probably 30 years.
While a very different experience to the original 1958 movie that starred Steve McQueen, this one is a helluva lot of fun and far better than I remembered it being. Cheesey 80's goodness.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So... last night I had a double-bill of sci-fi horror 'remakes', both of which I've seen before...

First up...
The Thing (2011)
MV5BMTMxMjI0MzUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjc1NzE5NQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

Let me just say - John Carpenters 1982 film is one of my favourite films ever.
I wasn't struck on this prequel (yeah, spoilers, it's not actually a remake) when I originally saw it when it first released... but tbh, when you can get past the studio's interference with replacing the practical effects with not-so-great CG and how they butchered the ending, it's actually pretty good. Dovetails nicely into the '82 film as well.

Next up...
The Blob (1988)
MV5BZWI0NzQwYjEtNWJmOS00ZWZmLWE5ZGYtNjE3ZjQwMWU5MTk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg4NzYzMzA@._V1_.jpg

Another one I originally saw at the cinema when it first released, but haven't watched it for probably 30 years.
While a very different experience to the original 1958 movie that starred Steve McQueen, this one is a helluva lot of fun and far better than I remembered it being. Cheesey 80's goodness.

I know what I will watch this Night...:D
Thank you.:)

Reactions: duwen

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
the question is, do you watching the movie legally?

but if someone ask me like that,.............. oh.. .. .. its hard for me to answer:unsure:

but my principle is.... "if you can get some for free, why you must paid for it?"

-Sathya 2020- B-)B-)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
the question is, do you watching the movie legally?

but if someone ask me like that,.............. oh.. .. .. its hard for me to answer:unsure:

but my principle is.... "if you can get some for free, why you must paid for it?"

-Sathya 2020- B-)B-)

The good Thing is,many,many old classic Movies got an BluRay Release,so the DVDs are literally "free" (1 - 4 Euros on Amazon or private Platforms like willhaben.at).
So,yes watching it legally is still an Option.:)

Reactions: JuanMena and Sathya

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vast collection of vhs/betamax cassettes, laserdisks, dvd's and blurays (at least a couple of thousand films, all formats combined - I've been collecting since the early '80s)... I also have several terrabytes worth of archived movies on hard drives; some legitimately obtained, some not.
I also have access to several movie channels on regular tv, some streaming services, and some 'dodgy' apps like Kodi and Typhoon...
...there's not much I don't have access to ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First +1 to videodrome. Had a good time with that one.

Saw a film for the first time in a while, even saw it on a TV (with adverts and everything).

Sweet Country 2017
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6958212/
Rural Australia, not long after world war 1. A guy is shot and an aboriginal goes on the run with his wife as a result, being pursued by another group.

Good sets, good costumes, well paced, good cinematography, acting was for the most part good, story/script was basically pure film festival circuit bait but that does not mean bad (I could see it reaching pretentious).
I doubt I will remember it in 10 years but if you like the idea of a fairly hum drum cowboys/western type plot but in Australia in that time period do give it a look.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I saw Knives out. Twisty-turny whodunnit/borderline con film is something that should be right up my alley (I have watched some awful junk when after a con film) but generally underwhelming for me. At the same time it had enough ingredients that it could have been something worth seeing if the writing was tightened up a lot, the direction was better and yeah.

Anyway watching all the films lately.

Finally got around to seeing
The Straight Story 1999
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/

David Lynch is generally regarded as top notch at what he does (give or take various fans of Dune) and I have liked most of what I have seen. Been meaning to watch this one for a while too.
Anyway a while back I watched another small town slice of life film. Here though it is actually a nice story and has something worth looking at.
Guy with his own medical worries takes a long trip on a ride on lawnmower to visit his sick brother, meeting various people along the way and giving some background to how he got there.

Reactions: duwen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk