HeartfeltDesu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
beyondchristie.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Twisty-turny whodunnit/borderline con film is something that should be right up my alley (I have watched some awful junk when after a con film) but generally underwhelming for me.

Would you like the long rant or the condensed version? :P I have a lot of opinions on Knives Out, and I need to share them with someone who won't just go "you're crazy, it's a great movie".

Last edited by HeartfeltDesu,

HeartfeltDesu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I do have a 3 hour conversation on the matter in my videos waiting to be watched (though it will be one and a half hours as 2x speed is the way things should be listened to).

Yeah, could you link me to the video, please? I can't find it. :P

My rant on Knives Out:

Knives Out is not a whodunit, nor is it a "mystery" in the traditional sense.

The three genres typically lumped together are "mystery", "suspense" and "thriller".

A mystery is a plot wherein the inciting incident happens prior to or early in the events of the story, and the focus is on closing gaps in information. The audience does not know of "the event", but lead characters may be or may not be -- usually the latter.

A suspense narrative is a plot wherein the inciting incident happens continuously throughout the story, during the story, or is expected to happen at the end of the story. The audience is privy to the fact that "the event" is going to happen, but the characters aren't, eliciting dramatic irony.

A thriller narrative is a plot wherein the inciting incident happens continuously throughout the story, during the story, or is expected to happen at the end of the story. Contrary to the suspense narrative, in a thriller this information about "the event" is known by both the audience and the character, and the focus is on preventing it or escaping from it.

These all apply even if the information we thought we had was false, misled, misinformed or otherwise incorrect or incomplete.

The primary focus on "Knives Out", and the bulk of the narrative, is on the parts of the story wherein we believe we know who the culprit is, and the focus is on whether they escape punishment or are caught. This is because Knives Out was not really inspired by Golden Age mystery "whodunits" -- it was inspired primarily by the works of Alfred Hitchcock and his particular brand of thriller. The movie has a mystery facepaint and a twist ending, but it is at its heart and soul a thriller.

Is this bad? No. Is it why I hated the movie? Yes.

I am a diehard, dedicated, passionate fan of the Golden Age style of mystery writing. It's the school of mystery writing that was predominantly popular in Japan, America, Britain, Spain, China and France from 1920-1970 and which focused on providing the reader with all the clues they need to solve the mystery, not only figuring out whodunit but also deducing the complex methods they used to commit the crime!

At this point in my life I've easily read going on 350-odd Golden Age(-styled) puzzle mystery novels. It is a dead genre in every country in the world but Japan. In Japan, the genre was originally known as "honkaku" -- literally "Orthodox", because the puzzle focus was seen as the default and preferred way to write mysteries -- and was recently revived as "shin-honkaku", a second Golden Age where mystery fiction focuses on allowing the reader to solve the crime. However, as I cannot read Japanese, and there are VERY few of these novels in English translation (really, I can count them on my fingers), the genre hasn't seen very many meaningful contributions in a form that I can read. The modern American mystery is more about character drama, the scientific methods of the detective, and generally feature simpler crimes to make room for more complex character interactions.

So, naturally, when I saw the marketing pushing this movie as a "film in the tradition of Agatha Christie", I was excited to see that the Golden Age of Detective Fiction was getting modern, mainstream, cinematic representation. But the marketing was misinformed. I felt somewhat lied to and cheated, because I was promised a movie in a dead genre that I'm passionate about. People want to defend it as "subverting expectations", but I think it's just frank dishonesty. I felt misled as someone who was hoping to see a grand renaissance of a genre that matters to me, but it wasn't given that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, could you link me to the video, please? I can't find it. :P
It was just a critical drinker livestream with a few other somewhat noted film critics/commentators. Their livestreams are not as tight as they main edited content or stuff they prepare a bit for (see https://www.efap.me/ or the individuals mentioned on the various other podcasts on the livestream channel, though there are many others doing good stuff) but usually get some good stuff in there, or at least enough I can put it on a have it in the background.

I don't think we have a nice edited breakdown like we have seen for the star wars, lord of the rings and whatever else stuff yet for this one. That probably says much though as nobody cared enough to do it, and most that did probably just want to chart the career arc of a guy that hosed up a star wars film.

Anyway I did not necessarily expect that as the criticism, but sold as and delivered something different is fine for me. I just mostly thought the writing was not great, forensics/logic a tiny bit spotty (which is not good in a film/story setup like this), not half as clever as it thinks it is or probably needed to be and in some ways I am going to say somewhat mean spirited. On the other hand all that is not a problem with most classic whodunnit/investigative fiction so it failing there means much the same thing in the end. TV shows and a fair bit of sci fi these days however seem to scratch my itch there (so much sci fi being caught up in a war between factions far bigger than, and revealing players pulling strings), though a film budget 2 hour all in affair is still something I seek rather than TV budget 45 minute self contained episode or whole TV series length stuff.

HeartfeltDesu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
but sold as and delivered something different is fine for me.

I don't like false advertising period, but I'm usually much more tolerant of it. Knives Out, however, was possibly the only movie I've ever been excited to see in my life, and to find out that my reasons for being excited about it were based on misinformation was a bit hurtful. I am passionate for the genre, as silly as it sounds, and to have thought it was seeing a renaissance and then being given something totally different was actually personally upsetting.

I understand that it's silly, but I stand by the silly reasons I have to be mad at the movie.

I'll watch the video as soon as I have a chance, though!

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The Mole People (1956)

220px-Mole_People.jpg

Solid and entertaining Science Fiction/Horror Movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mole_People

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished reading The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer so decided to watch the film again for the first time in a while. And then gonna watch all three seasons of the tv show.

View attachment 218692

Best TV show ever... and I really recommend the extended fan edit of FWwM - it's about as close as we'll get to Lynch's long proposed extended cut.

My first movie of the weekend should be mandatory viewing for a Twin Peaks / Lynch fan...

The Hidden (1987)

MV5BZWJjMGU3NWYtMzQxMC00MjNmLTgwOTEtNmYxN2M4N2VlNmNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,638,1000_AL_.jpg

Continuing my current trend of 80's sci-fi horror... The excesses of the 80's combined with a body hopping alien entity - an overlooked classic. Not only does it star Twin Peak's FBI Agent Cooper (Kyle Maclachlan) as an FBI agent pre-dating Twin Peaks, it also features TP's Chris "Hank Jennings" Mulkey, and Babylon 5's Claudia Christian as a stripper.

Next film of the weekend...

Night of the Creeps (1986)
MV5BMTFlZGJlYjgtMTA3Yy00ODgxLTgyN2EtMGNmZmJiODU1Nzc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzNzYwMzA@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

This has been a real favourite of mine since it first came out. Again, a slice of 80's sci-fi horror, although this one is very much rooted in the vein of the 50's sci-fi B movies that obviously inspired it. Really good fun, never takes itself seriously, definitely recommended.
And pay attention for all the characters/places named after various horror directors.

...and finally...

Viscious Lips (1986)
MV5BMDhjN2M0ODAtNzFiMy00YjQ0LWI2ZmEtZjNhYzQ3MzY2ZmQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,654,1000_AL_.jpg

All girl band trying to get their big break in a dystopian, slightly cyberpunk, future.
Extremely bad yet entertaining low budget movie... makes some Troma films look like awards contenders... although some of the soundtrack alone makes it worth a watch.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Night of the Creeps (1986)

This has been a real favourite of mine since it first came out. Again, a slice of 80's sci-fi horror, although this one is very much rooted in the vein of the 50's sci-fi B movies that obviously inspired it. Really good fun, never takes itself seriously, definitely recommended.
And pay attention for all the characters/places named after various horror directors.

UK DVD (Cinema Release/uncut) or US DVD (Directors Cut) ? :)

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
UK DVD (Cinema Release/uncut) or US DVD (Directors Cut) ? :)
This particular viewing was the US directors cut... I've also got a composite cut that utilises alternate scenes as well as the alternate ending. ;)

Oh... and I also have the rare open-matte TV version that also has different scenes.
I think I have four different cuts of this movie in total. Five if you count the original UK vhs release (which is slightly cut).

Last edited by duwen,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
This particular viewing was the US directors cut... I've also got a composite cut that utilises alternate scenes as well as the alternate ending. ;)

Oh... and I also have the rare open-matte TV version that also has different scenes.

Honestly,it is only the Ending that is really different.:D
I like this Movie.Most of these Kind of Movies I watched on VHS from the....how was that called....ah yes "Videothek" (VHS to Lend).:rofl2:

Reactions: duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Almost forgot... I also (re)watched...

Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010)
MV5BMzc4MjQ0NzgyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg0NDY3Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Fun stuff. Possibly my favourite Edgar Wright project since Spaced... although I also <3 Shaun of the Dead quite a lot.
I was inspired to rewatch this after seeing the cast reunion 10th anniversary table read on YouTube...

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Tonight a "newer" Film,a Hero from my Adolescent Time:

Kick Boxer (1989)

220px-Kickboxer_poster.jpg
Jean Claude van Damme in a typical 80s US Karate-Martial Arts Film.
(Here it is titled Karate Tiger 3 - The Kickboxer - The Karate Tiger/Kickboxer Series/Naming in Europe/German was horrible and totally confusing...)

..and of course Uncut Version.:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickboxer_(1989_film)

Reactions: JuanMena and duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mischief (1985)

MV5BMjkwZWYzZTQtNTU1MS00ZTIwLTg4OGQtZjQ2NGVkODdmNGI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

So, so "teens trying to get laid" comedy - pretty typical of the era, although elevated by a likeable cast and the 1956 Ohio setting and accompanying soundtrack. Somewhat of a guilty pleasure, as I had crushes on it's three main girls at various points throughout the 80's (Catherine Mary Stewart, Kelly Preston, Jami Gertz).

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been watching a lot of Rifftrax (MST3k alumni) movies, usually older movies like

iu

iu

(A bad ripoff of Jaws, French iirc. Tries to play it off like a Jaws 2.
iu

Awful-ly funny movie with the riffs.
iu

3 star trek movies riffed, funny AF. They also did some of the 'fan made' movies, which are just awful.

The entire Twilight series is done by them too, only way I could ever stand to watch them.
iu

these are some of the most recent ones I've watched.

They play free streams of rifftrax on You can get a sample of these kinds of movies there.

The Twilight, Harry Potter, and Transformers riffs are some of my favorites.

There's also a fantastic community of fans that share all the movies on a pirates forum, should be pretty easy to find if you are dedicated. Or PM me if you need more guidance.

Last edited by TheCasualties,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Triple Feature from the "Gill Man".

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
View attachment 219540

Revenge of the Creature (1955)
View attachment 219541

The Creature walks among Us (1956)
View attachment 219542

Classic Horror Movies with an Genre-pointing Classic Monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenge_of_the_Creature
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Creature_Walks_Among_Us

Great films! I've got anaglyph 3d versions of the first two on laserdisk!

iu

(A bad ripoff of Jaws, French iirc. Tries to play it off like a Jaws 2.

L'ultimo squalo (The Last Shark) is a great Italian Jaws rip off - I never get bored of seeing people seemingly explode when they're attacked by the shark... pretty sure you hear the shark screaming too!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc