Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to have a $19.99 DLC pack

zeldaheader2 (1).jpg

Nintendo's latest Zelda game has just gotten an interesting bit of news. The title will be launching with an Expansion Pass which will allow access to two DLC packs that will be available later this year in 2017. Pre-purchasing the Expansion Pass now will cause three treasure chests to appear in the world, with extra items. One of which being an outfit for Link, which has the Nintendo Switch logo on it. The first DLC pack for the game is set to launch this Summer, and will include a new Hard Mode, a challenge, and a new in-game map feature. The second pack will launch Holiday 2017 and will have a brand new Story addition and a new dungeon. Both the Switch and the Wii U will be getting these DLCs.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U consoles is one of the largest, most engaging video games Nintendo has ever created. While the main game offers players an engrossing quest that will keep them entertained for hours, as well as the freedom to explore the vast Hyrule at their own pace, the game world provides a rich canvas that offers the opportunity for additional adventures. As a result, the first-ever downloadable content for the main-line Legend of Zelda series is in development.

Starting when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. (Graphic: Business Wire)

Starting when the game launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items. The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer, and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story. The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually.

“The world of Hyrule, which we created for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is so large and vibrant that we wanted to offer more for players to experience within it,” said Nintendo developer Eiji Aonuma, the longtime producer of the series. “With this new Expansion Pass, we hope that fans will play, explore and enjoy the game even more.”

Aonuma also created a brief video to share more details about the Expansion Pass. It can be viewed at http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=4&md5=8eaa4ec7c77e62fcb4c0b16700a2b3ff.

For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=5&md5=25c10a84a5cc09f20e1418056380e331.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=6&md5=7f0306c430dd0cf8360bf01681f9559d.

:arrow: Eiji Aonuma made a video to explain the DLC here

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes you're paying for the game, which you're getting, not the stuff being developed after, thats like saying "why should I buy MM when I bought OOT?"
Just because its added on to the game doesnt mean it is unlocked, this stuff is being developed AFTER the completion of the game, its been completed for a month now.

duuuuude, it isn't..

Yes they share assets but MM was sold more than a year after OoT, not before OoT's launch and it is a different game with different story.. Nintendo didn't announced Majora's Mask before launching OoT and it wasn't sold under OoT's specs/engine/game/whatever and not certainly as an "extra episode", it was a full sequel..

That's like treating Mario 2 Lost Levels as a DLC dude.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duuuuude, it isn't..

Yes they share assets but MM was sold more than a year after OoT
The final DLC launches during the holiday season, more than 9 months from now
and it is a different game with different story..
I know it isn't a different game but isn't a new branching sidequest/story exactly what Nintendo is promising?
and it wasn't sold under OoT's specs/engine/game/whatever
.......... What?........

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duuuuude, it isn't..

Yes they share assets but MM was sold more than a year after OoT, not before OoT's launch and it is a different game with different story.. Nintendo didn't announced Majora's Mask before launching OoT and it wasn't sold under OoT's specs/engine/game/whatever and not certainly as an "extra episode", it was a full sequel..

1.MM being made originally as URA ZELDA, but reworked into MM meaning it was an expansion.
2.MM was sold under OoT's specs/engine/game/whatever
3.Miyamoto confirmed that Lost Levels isn't the true SMB2 it's actually an expansion. The title for true SMB2 goes to the one we received in West. It was originally a Mario game until they slapped on the characters from Fuji TV all over it and renamed it Doki Doki Panic, not the other way around.

Nikki_swap

The Lewdest
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was originally a Mario game until they slapped on the characters from Fuji TV all over it and renamed it Doki Doki Panic, not the other way around.
That's wrong, it was never meant to be a Mario game until it came to the west due to licensing issues and the when someone in NoA pointed the similarities with mario.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
duuuuude, it isn't..

I think @TotalInsanity4 said it best.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Source? I'm curious to how you know that the Switch can't overclock.
It's based on the fact it would heat up and burn if it tried to overclock as the cooling isnt good enough, for example my PC requires liquid cooling to stay at high clocks.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

You are infuriating. The reason I used MM was because MM was basically DLC for OOT as it shared nearly everything with that game and was MUCH shorter than OOT.

1. Those comparisons ARENT IN UE4.
2.The switch runs at lower settings but they are not massive.
Im done arguing.
The only thing thats longer in oot is the walking around, the unnecceserily huge maps built to show off the n64s capabilities and the slow walking. That really sucks. The MM has almost the same size, with lots of non-plain areas.. in oot you walk a hour and nothing new in the map, in mm you have holes every few meters, lots of secrets to uncover etc. It took me about the same time to finish both oot and mm but in oot I finished every side quest, found every secret and everything and in Mm I have a lot of undone things, side quests etc. It doesnt have less content but more stretched content then mm. Bad example. Also please tell me one non-obvious connection betweem oot and mm (I mean aside the ocarina, link and the sword). It sure uses the same assets, but no reapearing story parts, plot, quests or anything. Its a seperate game. I cant see how it could be a dlc for oot... it can stand on its own with no need of oot. In fact I played mm before oot and nothing was missing... on the other hand that dlc is just *some* added maps and story on top of botw. It cant stand on its own. No independent storyline or universe (yeah oot and mm are in diffrent timelines...)

1.so you say that the ue4 is somehow diffrent then other engines, that it somehow uncovers some hidden power of the switch thats unavaliable to others? As long as its the same engine compared between consoles, it should show the hardware comparison. Thats how benchmarks work.
2. Massive isnt an objective word, lots of ppl will tell you that this little reflection effect off raindrops on some environment- rocks thats present in a pc port are a huge diffrence from ps4 which lacks that little feature. And I aint sure you are the majority of gamers to deceide whats massive and whats not. In fact from what I read ppl saying, lots of gamers nowdays care much about graphics, and while not as the highest priority on the list- below gameplay of course- thats still pretty high.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing thats longer in oot is the walking around, the unnecceserily huge maps built to show off the n64s capabilities and the slow walking. That really sucks. The MM has almost the same size, with lots of non-plain areas.. in oot you walk a hour and nothing new in the map, in mm you have holes every few meters, lots of secrets to uncover etc. It took me about the same time to finish both oot and mm but in oot I finished every side quest, found every secret and everything and in Mm I have a lot of undone things, side quests etc. It doesnt have less content but more stretched content then mm. Bad example. Also please tell me one non-obvious connection betweem oot and mm (I mean aside the ocarina, link and the sword). It sure uses the same assets, but no reapearing story parts, plot, quests or anything. Its a seperate game. I cant see how it could be a dlc for oot... it can stand on its own with no need of oot. In fact I played mm before oot and nothing was missing... on the other hand that dlc is just *some* added maps and story on top of botw. It cant stand on its own. No independent storyline or universe (yeah oot and mm are in diffrent timelines...)

1.so you say that the ue4 is somehow diffrent then other engines, that it somehow uncovers some hidden power of the switch thats unavaliable to others? As long as its the same engine compared between consoles, it should show the hardware comparison. Thats how benchmarks work.
2. Massive isnt an objective word, lots of ppl will tell you that this little reflection effect off raindrops on some environment- rocks thats present in a pc port are a huge diffrence from ps4 which lacks that little feature. And I aint sure you are the majority of gamers to deceide whats massive and whats not. In fact from what I read ppl saying, lots of gamers nowdays care much about graphics, and while not as the highest priority on the list- below gameplay of course- thats still pretty high.

Forget this shit.

1. UE4 is optimised Koei Tecmo's engine is not.
2. Those who care about graphics are stupid ass idiots who play on consoles if you want graphics why arent you on PC. Dumbass argument. Im done.

Not going to reply after this point.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I think @TotalInsanity4 said it best.

It's based on the fact it would heat up and burn if it tried to overclock as the cooling isnt good enough, for example my PC requires liquid cooling to stay at high clocks.
So, your source is you? Not Nintendo? Where did you find this information? I really want to know.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's wrong, it was never meant to be a Mario game until it came to the west due to licensing issues and the when someone in NoA pointed the similarities with mario.
It actually was. It was originally intended to be a Mario game with only vertical platforming but the devs though it was too dull. Miyamoto suggested adding in horizontal platforming as well. Later on it was turned into Doki Doki Panic.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, your source is you? Not Nintendo? Where did you find this information? I really want to know.

Consoles are not meant to be "overclocked". It was actually found that the switch has been underclocked on purpose through the Chinese breakdown last weekend.

If you're thinking about the N3DS and it's "overclock" settings for NDS games, that's also incorrect thinking. The N3DS underclocks itself for NDS games to run at the speeds of the NDS, and the "overclock" feature simply let's the CPU run at normal N3DS speeds while playing NDS games.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Consoles are not meant to be "overclocked". It was actually found that the switch has been underclocked on purpose through the Chinese breakdown last weekend.

If you're thinking about the N3DS and it's "overclock" settings for NDS games, that's also incorrect thinking. The N3DS underclocks itself for NDS games to run at the speeds of the NDS, and the "overclock" feature simply let's the CPU run at normal N3DS speeds while playing NDS games.
I don't know why you quoted me, but thanks for the info anyways.

D

Deleted User

Forget this shit.

1. UE4 is optimised Koei Tecmo's engine is not.
2. Those who care about graphics are stupid ass idiots who play on consoles if you want graphics why arent you on PC. Dumbass argument. Im done.

Not going to reply after this point.
I am playing on the pc. And on consoles. Why be a stupid fanboy and restrict myself from playing other hardware? And since when graphics arent a pro, but instead a con.? And how do you know the ue4 is more optimized then the other one you mentioned?

Sheikah Impa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fans need to stop feeling entitled and overreacting something that's optional and doesn't take away from the actual game. In fact, a new story and new dungeon sound pretty tits. And I'm sure it's something they wanted to do, considering how they stated before that they couldn't fit it in and I heard there is over 100 hours of content in the base game. That's good enough.

Reactions: Maximilious

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
my source is logic based on the tech available.

I am playing on the pc. And on consoles. Why be a stupid fanboy and restrict myself from playing other hardware? And since when graphics arent a pro, but instead a con.? And how do you know the ue4 is more optimized then the other one you mentioned?
because im a UE4 DEV and koei tecmo never optimises their engines they just try to get the highest settings.

D

Deleted User

my source is logic based on the tech available.

because im a UE4 DEV and koei tecmo never optimises their engines they just try to get the highest settings.
What tech is avaliable? And what is your logical reasoning for nintendo to put a powerful console, after the last 3-4 gens of not doing so?

And you didnt answer my question- how does a mobile processor beat a x86 processor, both of which came out in the last 5 years, while the arm processor gets less power? it will have half as much ram as ps4 base model (4gb vs 8gb), worse processor and gpu and still the ue4 runs better on it, because its optimized?

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What tech is avaliable? And what is your logical reasoning for nintendo to put a powerful console, after the last 3-4 gens of not doing so?

And you didnt answer my question- how does a mobile processor beat a x86 processor, both of which came out in the last 5 years, while the arm processor gets less power? it will have half as much ram as ps4 base model (4gb vs 8gb), worse processor and gpu and still the ue4 runs better on it, because its optimized?
Thank you for proving how little you know.
Done arguing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work