‘Legend of Zelda’ Movie in the Works

zelda-movie-header.jpg

As reported on by "The Hollywood Reporter" a live action adaptation of The Legend of Zelda is in the works. Being produced by Nintendo and Arad Productions and being co-financed by Sony Pictures, the movie is in the early stages but has been in active development for years. Wes Ball of the Maze Runner trilogy is set to direct.

"Nintendo representative director and fellow Shigeru Miyamoto, who is set to produce the project, posted Tuesday to X (formerly Twitter) that he and Arad have been working on a live-action movie version “for many years now.”

Miyamoto continued, “We have now officially started the development of the film with Nintendo itself heavily involved in the production. It will take time until its completion, but I hope you look forward to seeing it.”

The “Zelda” movie is co-produced by Arad, whose credits include every live-action “Spider-Man” movie and the “Spider-Verse” animated films. The film will be co-financed by Nintendo and Sony Pictures Entertainment, with more than 50% financed by Nintendo. Sony will handle the theatrical distribution.

SOURCE

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo can take what is usually considered a rather mediocre animation studio and have them make a pretty decent movie, I expect similar for these guys. I feel that it's going to be at the very least average, Maybe I'm being too optimistic but Nintendo's at the helm of this (unlike the original 1993 Mario movie) so I expect it to be at least a lot more faithful
Post automatically merged:

:wtf::blink:

Wait... what?
Sony Pictures Entertainment =/= Sony Interactive Entertainment
They're two different entities of Sony

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've said it more than once already, and now I'm going to say it again...Some things should just be left as video games. It's like books, some could be great as movies, but others, not so much. Considering the circumstances, I also end up liking things majority of people seem to hate, and vice versa. I'll be frank, not a fan of majority of the modern video game movies, I don't understand what people see in them, but I will say Legend of Zelda is another touchy franchise I enjoy. Stop dragging what I love through the damn bandwagon mud, bad enough the games took a permanent shift in direction and isn't going back, don't need it disfigured.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe... Peter Dinklage?
That guy sure helped adding fuel to the fire that's called Rachel Zegler's Snow White movie. lol
Post automatically merged:

at least miyamoto is on board it won't suck kong ballls like the mario bros trainwreck of 93.... right? :blink:
That movie made me laugh several times and for that I won't call it a bad movie, but it barely had anything to do with Super Mario. haha

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least miyamoto is on board it won't suck kong ballls like the mario bros trainwreck of 93.... right? :blink:
Same director as Morbius right?

Just wait til Zelda says "It's morbin' time" and morbs out on a morbillion morblins

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That movie made me laugh several times and for that I won't call it a bad movie, but it barely had anything to do with Super Mario. haha
Everyone say it was bad. I loved it when I watched it back in late 2000-early 2010, and for that very reason, I will not rewatch it. I don't want to rewatch it and agree with everyone... just in case...

Just wait til Zelda says "It's morbin' time" and morbs out on a morbillion morblins
It's time to kick dorf and chew bubble-link, and I'm ALL in Zelda!!!

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Same producer as Morbius. He also produced every single Marvel-related movie outside of Avengers, the good and the bad, the guy's all over the place. I don't think he has any actual input, he just... produces. For better or for worse.
The director is Wes Ball, known for the Maze Runner movies and The Dawn of The Day Of The End Of The Kingdom Of the Apes On The Planet Of The Apes 3: The Apening. Or something to that effect.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1) Live-action is just SOOOO overdone now, and it rarely looks nearly as good as a properly-done animated film; I could mention more modern examples like Spider-Verse and Puss in Boots, but even in the 2000s Shrek and Toy Story had amazing animation that holds up even today.

2) ...What are they going to do with Zelda? With today's godawful politics and "female empowerment" mandates, she won't be allowed to be a "damsel" like she is in most LoZ games - just like how Peach was very much out-of-character in the Mario movie, being far more open to fighting and resisting Bowser than she usually is.

Sure, Zelda has done more actiony things in the past, like controlling Phantoms in Spirit Tracks and having her own adventures separate from Link in Skyward Sword, BotW, and TotK - but those things were done largely off-camera. It wouldn't exactly work for her to join Link in going dungeon-diving or Bokoblin-slaying, as that's his thing as the player avatar (the "link" between the player and the game, hence his name).

Oh, a Zelda also hid from Ganondorf by dressing up as a Sheikah in Ocarina of Time, going by the not-at-all-obvious pseudonym "Sheik", and presumably she did stuff during the gap in time - even if she doesn't exactly do anything except teach adult-Link warp songs when he meets her again. Sheik was also going to reappear in Twilight Princess, having her own redesign, but that was cut in production.
Would this be brought back...? Who knows.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Live-action is just SOOOO overdone now, and it rarely looks nearly as good as a properly-done animated film; I could mention more modern examples like Spider-Verse and Puss in Boots, but even in the 2000s Shrek and Toy Story had amazing animation that holds up even today.

2) ...What are they going to do with Zelda? With today's godawful politics and "female empowerment" mandates, she won't be allowed to be a "damsel" like she is in most LoZ games - just like how Peach was very much out-of-character in the Mario movie, being far more open to fighting and resisting Bowser than she usually is.

Sure, Zelda has done more actiony things in the past, like controlling Phantoms in Spirit Tracks and having her own adventures separate from Link in Skyward Sword, BotW, and TotK - but those things were done largely off-camera. It wouldn't exactly work for her to join Link in going dungeon-diving or Bokoblin-slaying, as that's his thing as the player avatar (the "link" between the player and the game, hence his name).

Oh, a Zelda also hid from Ganondorf by dressing up as a Sheikah in Ocarina of Time, going by the not-at-all-obvious pseudonym "Sheik", and presumably she did stuff during the gap in time - even if she doesn't exactly do anything except teach adult-Link warp songs when he meets her again. Sheik was also going to reappear in Twilight Princess, having her own redesign, but that was cut in production.
Would this be brought back...? Who knows.

You are clearly forgetting about the video gaming masterpieces Wand of Gamelon and Zelda's Adventure. She killed tons of monsters by herself AND had to save Link !

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You are clearly forgetting about the video gaming masterpieces Wand of Gamelon and Zelda's Adventure. She killed tons of monsters by herself AND had to save Link !
...Both of which weren't made by Nintendo, and have never been officially supported by Nintendo.
Those shouldn't count, just like how no-one considers fan-films or fangames to be canon.

Reactions: Jayinem

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Both of which weren't made by Nintendo, and have never been officially supported by Nintendo.
Those shouldn't count, just like how no-one considers fan-films or fangames to be canon.
Not exactly fair to compare them to fan games since they were made with Nintendo's blessing/permission

It's more like considering pokemon pinball or the TCG game on the Gameboy canon to the mainline Pokemon games

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Must have a Navi that is just a human but follows Link around and when she has something to tell Link says "HEY! LISTEN!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Thank You :D