• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Liz truss resigns after just 6 weeks

trepp0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
From the Washington post:
LONDON—U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss said she would resign, after a risky plan to cut taxes and boost spending caused turmoil on financial markets, prompting her to backtrack and causing her political authority to disintegrate.

Ms. Truss is set to become the shortest-serving prime minister in British history and the third Conservative Party leader pushed out of office in as many years. She said a leadership election would be held within the next week to find her replacement.

“I recognize that given the situation, I cannot deliver the mandate on which I was elected by the Conservative Party,” she said standing outside Downing Street on Thursday.

The resignation comes months after rebel lawmakers forced out Boris Johnson as prime minister following a series of scandals.

Ms. Truss’s successor will have to navigate a political crisis and economic turbulence, with Britain dealing with stagflation—the combination of slow growth and high inflation. The new leader is almost sure to face a long winter of discontent, with real wages forecast to fall, labor unions promising a series of strikes and many voters demanding elections.

lmao, I saw this coming from a mile away

• Haha
Reactions: KingVamp and Xzi

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Leadership election? Jeez... Just what does it take that retarded country to hold a general election? At this rate, you could have a mule for prime Minister. :rolleyes:
Edit: better yet: a lettuce. They survive longer.

Reactions: Xzi

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love seeing the UK tearing itself apart lmao. It’s going to be funny if they put labor in there too. I wanna see just how much worse they are than the tories. I love seeing economic collapse at the European establishment’s expense

But alas, it’ll probably just be middle of the road bojo again

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love seeing the UK tearing itself apart lmao.
The sad thing is that it's all on a political level. The suits in government are fucking around giving each other and their mates as much cash as they can squeeze out while normal people are just trying to live regular lives.

We just want a stable government and regular energy bills again :rofl2:

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: At least the 20 you can add MicroSD up to 1TB lol