Looking back at SEGA's downfall.

CupheadtheCritic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Now, who remembers when SEGA made game consoles? And even if we knew how SEGA fell, someone's gonna be out there asking "what the hell happened?" Well... It's kind of a long story.

It was 1995. SEGA was developing the Saturn and planned to release it on a Saturday. The problem was that the Saturn was glorified diarrhea while the disks were glorified toilet paper, so the president of SOA at the time (forgot his name) asked SOJ if they could delay this to refurbish it properly. They declined, and since SOJ are the og owners, what they said, goes. So they released it, but it was an immediate flop. It was demanding too much green. $400 bucks at launch? Shitty games? Who the fuck will buy tha- oh wait the Saturd sold well in Japan and not the rest of the world. I WONDER WHY IT D I D. Well, unlike America, Japan didn't really give a shit about Sonic. But in the US, Sonic was a STAR, and people had another thought "A SEGA console with no Sonic? That's pretty fuckin' stupid". So they released Sonic R. And it was the straw that broke the Saturd's back. I'd explain it but I'll save that for another time. The PSX and N64 sold way cheaper than the Saturd, so it was obviously overshadowed day one.
To make it worse, the SEGA Genesis was on life support, so they pulled the plug on the Life Support System, which caused SEGA to fall even deeper. So, with the last of their breaths, in 1998, they released the Dreamcast. The first game console to have online multiplayer. But it was overshadowed by the PS2. When the GCN and Xbox hit the scene, it was Game Over. SEGA couldn't handle it anymore, so in 2001, SEGA Dreamcast's Online service ended, and SEGA slowly washed away into remnants of what they used to be.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget that Project Mars (better known as the 32x) released the prior year as an addon for the Genesis and SegaCD. The market was confused as there were two consoles from the same manufacturer competing against each other.

The Saturn was also difficult for developers. The PSX and even the N64 were easier for the studios to pump out games for.

I don't remember anybody wanting a Saturn when it came out.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wait... Did SEGA went belly up?

From my understanding, SEGA has always been a publisher first and console maker second.

CupheadtheCritic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Don't forget that Project Mars (better known as the 32x) released the prior year as an addon for the Genesis and SegaCD. The market was confused as there were two consoles from the same manufacturer competing against each other.

The Saturn was also difficult for developers. The PSX and even the N64 were easier for the studios to pump out games for.

I don't remember anybody wanting a Saturn when it came out.
I don't like to talk about The Turdy-Two X.

• Haha
Reactions: TraderPatTX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    sorabora tempBOT: sorabora has joined the room.