Porygon-X

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
Okay. So my dad recently told me that he wanted to get a new laptop to replace his old one.

We found this one:

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...model_id=xps-15

I'm trying to keep this as budget-friendly as possible.

Do you suggest upgrading to the i5 processor or staying at the i3?

WHAT'S THE EFFING DIFFERENCE?

Thanks.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it's clocked at a higher speed .
meaning it will perform better in general .

for an avg. user who doesn't do anything CPU intensive [rendering videos , playing games on high settings] , then the i3 should be good .

f3ar000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would personally be cautious with dell because their customer support sucks if you are not a business FYI
as for processor, upgrading to an i5 would be good but I am not certain $200 extra is worth it
my suggestion would be to check out HP. I personally went for a custom laptop (cyberpower FTW) because I don't give a crap about customer service and I can deal with any sort of issues on my own. some custom laptops from sites like cyberpower are better and cheaper but you may not have quality service if your lappy gets crappy.

oh yea and the other stuff on the laptop seem fairly good but definitely check out different sites and different base models

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That laptop looks nice especially the Nvidia 420m GPU which is essential
considering the integrated Intel is crap when it comes to any 3D game.

If you want it to be even more budget friendly then instead of the
XPS model you were originally opting for then try looking at the
Inspiron 15
models though if you are able to acquire enough funds for the originally
intended XPS model you linked to in the OP then please do so it will
offer much better performance in PC games versus the ati gpu in the
Inspirion 15 models.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Elvarg said:
If you want to go gaming go alienware.
A lot of people might flame you for that statement. But in my research and price comparing for a fully decked out laptop with dual vid cards they are around the same price maybe a tad more for the alien.. I mean aliendell.. I mean dell name. But hey I myself am waiting for the m18x to come out sometime this year. Hoping they put 3d screen in it like the option for the m17x r3. Since they took sli/crossfire out of the m17x r3 I didn't want that one. So I hope the m18x has 3d cause I hear it will have sli/crossfire

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alienware is for those who want to play games at extremely high resolution at high settings. It is for enthusiastic gamers. Normal gamers usually can go down a bit to save some money.

D

Deleted User

trumpet-205 said:
Alienware is for those who want to play games at extremely high resolution at high settings. It is for enthusiastic gamers. Normal gamers usually can go down a bit to save some money.

Correction. Alienware is for idiots that have way, way too much money to spend. In all honesty, anyone who has that much spare cash lying around should be shopping at
http://www.sagernotebook.com or http://www.xoticpc.com Sager/Clevo/Asus > Alienware. Then again, you'd probably be able to get a desktop that would last 5-6 years
(and still be upgradable) within that price range.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Elvarg said:
If you want to go gaming go alienware.
iBuyPower > AlienWare .

AlienWare is over priced . . .
iBuyPower has more reasonable prices .

i took the cheapest, pre-configured desktop at AlienWare [Aurora , i3 @ 3.06GHz, HD5670, 3GB RAM , 500GB Sata-II HDD] which was $100 .
then i took a pre-configured desktop over at iBuyPower [Gamer Paladin F725] .

compare the specs , and the Paladin will KILL the Aurora in all ways .
i7 3.06GHz quad core , 6GB RAM, GeForce GTS 450 .

heck , you can even pick parts for a computer that could have identical specs as the AlienWare Aurora that would run equally if not better for less than $1000.

Shadic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
shadic.fleepa.net
XP
Country
United States
They're both stupidly overpriced. At least with a Mac you can get something you can't with an Alienware - All they give you is a fancy case.

If you're looking for a gaming PC, build it yourself or pay 3x more than you need to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.