Loop Hero publisher and developer support piracy for customers in Russia

header.jpg

Devolver Digital and Four Quarters, publisher and developer behind the indie RPG Loop Hero, have encouraged customers living in Russia to pirate the game. The Russian developer - who has taken an anti-war stance after Russia's invasion of Ukraine - posted on VK, a Russian social networking site similar to Facebook, answering a question about how to purchase their game in light of recent events. While there doesn't appear to be any way to purchase it on Nintendo Switch or Steam, Four Quarters encouraged users to turn to piracy, and even provided a direct link to a torrent.

In a follow-up post the next day, Four Quarters noted the attention the previous post had gotten, but dismissed it, saying "We didn’t do anything special, because there’s nothing wrong with torrents" (translated from Russian via Google Translate). They also commented on the donations they had been offered, but politely declined as they are doing fine and encouraged people to instead support friends & relatives. They also touched on a content update coming to Loop Hero. While they haven't worked on it in about a month, it was around 80% completed, and development should resume soon. After the update releases for PC and Switch, a version of Loop Hero will be coming to smartphones, but no PlayStation or Xbox version is planned.

Speaking to PC Gamer, publisher Devolver Digital confirmed it "fully supports Four Quarters" and "were alerted of the statement ahead of time, which we back 100%."

:arrow: Source

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Russia already has a sky-high piracy rate so it's really just asking them to keep doing what they're doing -- aka not much of a sacrifice, just good publicity directed at countries who can pay.

https://thenextweb.com/news/russians-pirated-content-legal

Let's also not forget Russia is/was a tiny economy (even talking before the war).

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Russia already has a sky-high piracy rate so it's really just asking them to keep doing what they're doing -- aka not much of a sacrifice, just good publicity directed at countries who can pay.

https://thenextweb.com/news/russians-pirated-content-legal

Let's also not forget Russia is/was a tiny economy (even talking before the war).
according to this article: https://www.akamai.com/resources/state-of-the-internet/soti-security-pirates-in-the-outfield , Russia is the 2nd biggest in piracy, witch means that they're are indeed huge pirates overall.

the ranking:

Untitled.jpg

I'm disappointed that my country didn't make P1

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually, devs are always against piracy since it means losing money to pay their employees or whatever, but when it comes to war, we're all united to pirate games now.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it interesting that Devolver stood behind the statement. They seem pretty chill as far as publishers go.
It's great publicity if nothing else. Pretty sure this story will generate more interest and sales for this particular title than they'd have received otherwise.

Regardless, I've always liked how Devolver conduct themselves.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope. He's saying all devs are richer than him.
Which is an asinine assumption.
The thing is , whatever you say against him can be turned back right into your face. YOU are the one right now who ASSUMES that he's richer than a dev without knowing his situation at all. And then you resort to saying his statements could be described as stupid, retarded and idiotic, but you see , that's YOUR opinion on his statements, so it would be more correct if you said that you FEEL or THINK his statements are so, because again , that's your opinion. Opinion which , clearly nobody asked for, but since you feel the need to give it anyways , then let me reply to you with mine. After reading both comments , I'm sorry to say that to me , you are the retard, stupid and idiot and as long as assholes like you will give out their unasked opinion on someone's comment, than you just might be treated by mine. No one asked you a fucking thing so please crawl back to whatever hole you came from and go back to hiding.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The thing is , whatever you say against him can be turned back right into your face. YOU are the one right now who ASSUMES that he's richer than a dev without knowing his situation at all. And then you resort to saying his statements could be described as stupid, retarded and idiotic, but you see , that's YOUR opinion on his statements, so it would be more correct if you said that you FEEL or THINK his statements are so, because again , that's your opinion. Opinion which , clearly nobody asked for, but since you feel the need to give it anyways , then let me reply to you with mine. After reading both comments , I'm sorry to say that to me , you are the retard, stupid and idiot and as long as assholes like you will give out their unasked opinion on someone's comment, than you just might be treated by mine. No one asked you a fucking thing so please crawl back to whatever hole you came from and go back to hiding.
I was trying to go the more nuanced route. But BFG9K is a formidable choice of arsenal.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
on top of that, he call someone who have a different opinion "r*t*rd*d". i bet he not even know what that word means, and the impact that it causes to some people who have parents suffer from that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)