[LulzSec]1000th tweet statement

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man, it never ceases to amaze me how many people say "they're attention whores" or something along those lines. Seriously. Every single hack that has come to this site, they're attention seeking. Just.. wow.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Man, it never ceases to amaze me how many people say "they're attention whores" or something along those lines. Seriously. Every single hack that has come to this site, they're attention seeking. Just.. wow.
I think people are being just as childish. I'm sure many of us has done something in the past, without caring about who we affected or why. At least their endeavors have good consequences. I hope that public protocol changes so no one uses the same password for everything.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
Horrible comparison. A much more proper one is teaching a person a lesson about phishing, or the "It takes a Thief" series on the Discovery Channel. The only difference is the fact that they have no intentions. The do it because they think it's funny. They show just enough restraint to make it more justifiable. What happens, happens. They don't care if the consequences are good, or bad.

The only difference actually is that in "It Takes a Thief", the guy doesn't crack your safe in your house, publish the combo online, and hand out copies of your house key to people on the street. If they hacked the websites and sent the personal data to the website managers themselves it'd be a different story. Instead, they're publishing it online, compromising your security.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A Gay Little Catboy said:
These guys are just annoying immature attention whores. I can't wait till someone finally stops dicking around and just brings them down already. The world would be a better off place without these guys.

QUOTE(granville @ Jun 17 2011, 09:46 AM) Thanks for giving me my daily dose of bullshit LulzSec.
tongue.gif

Yeah, this was basically a "coming out of the closet" of what we already knew- they're whiny spoiled attention-starved kids with no life.
QFT.
Sad to say though... if they ever did go down, a bunch more would spring back up.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Sterling said:
Horrible comparison. A much more proper one is teaching a person a lesson about phishing, or the "It takes a Thief" series on the Discovery Channel. The only difference is the fact that they have no intentions. The do it because they think it's funny. They show just enough restraint to make it more justifiable. What happens, happens. They don't care if the consequences are good, or bad.

The only difference actually is that in "It Takes a Thief", the guy doesn't crack your safe in your house, publish the combo online, and hand out copies of your house key to people on the street. If they hacked the websites and sent the personal data to the website managers themselves it'd be a different story. Instead, they're publishing it online, compromising your security.
Which is why I said, they don't give a fuck. What happens, happens. They don't hold your hand when they release your stuff. They say, "Here is your stuff internet, now, madly flail as I record you for youtube." They don't care!! They are anarchic, and they do it because it makes them laugh. What I'm saying is, the consequences have good mixed in the bad. It's going to get much worse, if this shit doesn't get picked up now. I for one am glad these fuckers put this out in the open for everyone to see. Everyone sees now they AREN'T SAFE. Don't feed me the bullshit that this has been common knowledge for the entirety of the internet time line. If this were true, noneof us would be putting our credit numbers, and personal info anywhere on the internet. Our current habits suggest that we feel relatively safe, when in fact we are not. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
omgpwn666 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Not interested, they're a fad. Eventually internet security will get better or they'll find better things to do. Or interest in them will go away as they become less significant and as support fades away.

I don't even know why people supported them in the first place. If you don't like Sony or whatever, good for you. But supporting a group that gets shits and giggles out of make your personal information open to the public isn't right by any means.

But yeah, we should just stop giving them publicity.

Seriously. And what they say they're doing is really dumb. Hacking people to show them they need to upgrade their security. I'm gonna go burn some houses to teach people a lesson about not fireproofing their houses. I hope they get caught, but I don't feel like they will since they're so comfortable about tweeting and posting their phone number. I just can't believe people support him. Here is an idea to his followers, enjoy worshiping him until he hacks you.

I actually think my comparison was quite good. They're making stuff happen that we would not need to worry about if they did not exist. We should not need to worry about hackers, but because of him, we need to now. Before, even minor security measures where good enough to keep out hackers. I remember someone attempting to enter my computer, but that port was closed. End of that hackers story. My example is just one of the many that can be created.

Formula : I'm gonna to teach people to

They're trying to make it like they are the good guys. Source Sure that has been posted many times, just linking it here so you can take a quick glance if you did not see it.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arson is not a good example. Arson costs and individual hundreds of thousands of dollars. Their attacks at the worst caused a guy to get 10 dildos dent to him. Arson can also cause the death of many people, and their homes as well. I don't see any deaths as a consequence from their actions. In short, your comparison is one EVERYBODY should worry about and fear, but you don't generally have to. What they're doing is causing minimal loss of information and money by opportunists. They aren't the direct cause.

You get on the internet, you understand what the consequences may be, and you have made proper preparations. Most people are unaware that they aren't safe. Someone needs to teach people, and this is the hard way of doing it.

D

Deleted_171835

omgpwn666 said:
They're trying to make it like they are the good guys. Source Sure that has been posted many times, just linking it here so you can take a quick glance if you did not see it.
Gizmodo sucks, just so you know.
As a matter of fact, all Gawker sites are horrible.
The below article by ArsTechnica is better,
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...you-bitches.ars

Anyways, while I don't agree with LulzSec distributing personal information online, they are certainly drawing attention to security vulnerabilities in sites. Webmasters wouldn't bother fixing said vulnerabilities until something ends up happening to the site.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what?

They compare themselves to regular hackers to make them look noble? I get their point, but that still doesn't make them look nobler. To me they are still black hat hackers.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
Arson is not a good example. Arson costs and individual hundreds of thousands of dollars. Their attacks at the worst caused a guy to get 10 dildos dent to him. Arson can also cause the death of many people, and their homes as well. I don't see any deaths as a consequence from their actions. In short, your comparison is one EVERYBODY should worry about and fear, but you don't generally have to. What they're doing is causing minimal loss of information and money by opportunists. They aren't the direct cause.

You get on the internet, you understand what the consequences may be, and you have made proper preparations. Most people are unaware that they aren't safe. Someone needs to teach people, and this is the hard way of doing it.

Fine, lets say you know that no one is in the house, now it's equal damage. Sony lost millions, and there is a guy who lost about $1000 from his Paypal. Losing money like that can easily cost you losing a house.

SoulSnatcher said:
QUOTE(omgpwn666 @ Jun 17 2011, 04:15 PM) They're trying to make it like they are the good guys. Source Sure that has been posted many times, just linking it here so you can take a quick glance if you did not see it.
Gizmodo sucks, just so you know.
As a matter of fact, all Gawker sites are horrible.
The below article by ArsTechnica is better,
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...you-bitches.ars

Anyways, while I don't agree with LulzSec distributing personal information online, they are certainly drawing attention to security vulnerabilities in sites. Webmasters wouldn't bother fixing said vulnerabilities until something ends up happening to the site.

Yeah, sorry. I only linked that source since that's the one LulzSec used.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree with what they want to reach. But sometimes they just go too far, like with the passwords. Their statement on Twitter does probably contain the truth.
I still would really laugh at them when someone puts an end to them, "just for the lulz".

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Not interested, they're a fad. Eventually internet security will get better or they'll find better things to do. Or interest in them will go away as they become less significant and as support fades away.

I don't even know why people supported them in the first place. If you don't like Sony or whatever, good for you. But supporting a group that gets shits and giggles out of make your personal information open to the public isn't right by any means.

But yeah, we should just stop giving them publicity.
This is what they covered in their statement.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omgpwn666 said:
Sterling said:

Fine, lets say you know that no one is in the house, now it's equal damage. Sony lost millions, and there is a guy who lost about $1000 from his Paypal. Losing money like that can easily cost you losing a house.
The act of arson costs many individuals, their homes, cars, valuables, and lives. It is not a fair comparison to make at any point. The point you are making is on par with a sensationalist statement. Something I would expect to see on Fox news.

The difference is that having 1000 dollars in paypal means nothing in terms of mortgage. I'm not even sure if you can use Paypal to authorize a payment to a mortgage company. I get what angle your going at, but it's not a good comparison. By law, arson is not only a felony, but is extremely dangerous to everyone. Identity theft is the largest growing crime in the world today, and it isn't even close to what Lulzsec is doing. ID theft is not only the act of stealing, but the continued use of their information for other schemes, and activities. Lulzsec is just the enabler, and the middlemen are the perps. Why do people not take steps to protect? It's because they either don't know how, or are ignorant.

Sony is not a individual. Sony is a collective making up a corporation. They are made up of many people, and are their own legal entity. They have so much money, it's not even funny. I do feel sorry for the guy's paypal loss, but I have no idea what he was thinking keeping over 200 dollars in his PP account. Even if they are a online shop, Paypal is just the middle dealing ground.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
omgpwn666 said:
Sterling said:

The act of arson costs many individuals, their homes, cars, valuables, and lives. It is not a fair comparison to make at any point. The point you are making is on par with a sensationalist statement. Something I would expect to see on Fox news.

The difference is that having 1000 dollars in paypal means nothing in terms of mortgage. I'm not even sure if you can use Paypal to authorize a payment to a mortgage company. I get what angle your going at, but it's not a good comparison. By law, arson is not only a felony, but is extremely dangerous to everyone. Identity theft is the largest growing crime in the world today, and it isn't even close to what Lulzsec is doing. ID theft is not only the act of stealing, but the continued use of their information for other schemes, and activities. Lulzsec is just the enabler, and the middlemen are the perps. Why do people not take steps to protect? It's because they either don't know how, or are ignorant.

Sony is not a individual. Sony is a collective making up a corporation. They are made up of many people, and are their own legal entity. They have so much money, it's not even funny. I do feel sorry for the guy's paypal loss, but I have no idea what he was thinking keeping over 200 dollars in his PP account. Even if they are a online shop, Paypal is just the middle dealing ground.

I still disagree, maybe I should just go work for Fox. lol

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just think about it. An average home in todays market is over 100,000 dollars. The furniture in an average home is another 10,000. Electronics is at least 5000 or more. Food, appliances, and outside attractions are also going to be destroyed. So will the neighbors, and their neighbors, and more if the fire isn't contained. I just don't see how you can compare two much different crimes affecting vastly different amounts of people, and vastly different proportions of monetary values. The difference is night and day.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
Just think about it. An average home in todays market is over 100,000 dollars. The furniture in an average home is another 10,000. Electronics is at least 5000 or more. Food, appliances, and outside attractions are also going to be destroyed. So will the neighbors, and their neighbors, and more if the fire isn't contained. I just don't see how you can compare two much different crimes affecting vastly different amounts of people, and vastly different proportions of monetary values. The difference is night and day.

I guess that's a good point. But the thing is, my example would probably be more valid if someone took about $200,000 from someones bank, but that did not happen. But originally, it is just an example saying I will do something dumb to make people realize they need to watch for that. Maybe it's just me, but I never worried about someone burning my house down.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omgpwn666 said:
Sterling said:

I guess that's a good point. But the thing is, my example would probably be more valid if someone took about $200,000 from someones bank, but that did not happen. But originally, it is just an example saying I will do something dumb to make people realize they need to watch for that. Maybe it's just me, but I never worried about someone burning my house down.
You just haven't pissed enough people off yet.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
omgpwn666 said:
Sterling said:

You just haven't pissed enough people off yet.

Haha XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT