Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

WARlord1903

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well everything looks good then. Sorry no more ideas...
Does it work with NTR?
Okay, I've tried making a layeredfs plugin on my PC, but the .bat file won't work. I then tried with OnionFS, but my 3ds gives me an error screen and reboots upon attempting to open the home menu after running NTR.

maciver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I am having some issues with my son's 3ds it is the newer version, it was hacked at release with Reinand and then one of his idiot friends installed another hack that failed, then yet another, then deleted the nand backup I had on his pc. They then ended up installing Luma3ds 7.0.4. So now I am looking to clean up the mess and get whatever that is WORKING updated to the most current and get my safeties in place again (nandbackup). The Emu nand is 9.2.0-20u and I have no idea what the actual sysnand is atm but I think it is the same. I had it setup to autoboot the custom firmware, During this mess the autoboot had a 5 sec timer that allowed us to boot to homebrew launcher or the cfw - which now is a 1 sec timer and the homebrew launcher no longer works.

What advice do you offer?

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I am having some issues with my son's 3ds it is the newer version, it was hacked at release with Reinand and then one of his idiot friends installed another hack that failed, then yet another, then deleted the nand backup I had on his pc. They then ended up installing Luma3ds 7.0.4. So now I am looking to clean up the mess and get whatever that is WORKING updated to the most current and get my safeties in place again (nandbackup). The Emu nand is 9.2.0-20u and I have no idea what the actual sysnand is atm but I think it is the same. I had it setup to autoboot the custom firmware, During this mess the autoboot had a 5 sec timer that allowed us to boot to homebrew launcher or the cfw - which now is a 1 sec timer and the homebrew launcher no longer works.

https://3ds.guide/
At this point you might as well start from scratch.

Last edited by Redferne,
Reactions: maciver

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

Firstly, see whether you have menuhax or A9LH. Take out the SD card. Hold Select and turn the console on. If it goes to the normal home menu, change the theme and start from the beginning of https://3ds.guide. If you see the Luma config screen, and the version is 7.0.5 or less, follow https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

maciver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok to boot into the custom firmware you have to hold the R and it then boots the version of Luma they installed. Should I delete the sd card and then start from scratch?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ok to boot into the custom firmware you have to hold the R and it then boots the version of Luma they installed. Should I delete the sd card and then start from scratch?
Change the theme then start the guide from the beginning. You can delete the contents of the card after if you like (leave the Nintendo 3DS folder if you want to keep your games and save files).

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
UPDATE 9.0

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v9.0

Here's our holiday gift to you :)

• Use open source reimplementations of the SM and PXI FIRM modules
  • Fixed breakpoints in the Rosalina debugger (thanks @Nanquitas)
  • Added RAM viewer/editor/dumper feature to Rosalina (thanks @LiquidFenrir)
  • Rosalina now cleanly reboots the console when the option is selected
  • Fixed Rosalina screenshots for RGB5_A1/RGBA4 framebuffer formats (used for example in Virtual Console titles)
  • Stubbed isTitleAllowed to allow Nintendo-blocked titles to launch (outdated Ironfall/Flipnote Studio 3D/etc)
  • ARM9 exheader and FS patches are now always applied as they cause no drawbacks
  • Throw an error if file writes or emuNAND boot are attempted while the SD card is write-locked
  • Display boot source on the bottom screen in the config menu
  • The console will now shutdown when the shell is closed in the Luma menus, unless the user booted via ntrboot
  • Numerous Exception Handler fixes
  • FatFS updated to v0.13
  • Check if NWM is running before allowing WiFi toggling in Rosalina
  • Screenshots are now sorted by date/time using osGetTime, removing the counting delay if the user has a lot of screenshots, thanks to @Hayleia!
Note: BootNTR is broken in this version, unless you use the latest commit (not release!) from this repo: https://github.com/Nanquitas/BootNTR

Notes on the changes made to Rosalina's debugger:

• The physical memory access "bit31" mapping (0--0x30000000 => 0x80000000--0xB0000000) as well as privileged (kernel) mappings confuse debugger clients like IDA's which interpret the value of the registers. Access to those mappings can be toggled using "monitor toggleextmemaccess" instead (issue reported by @Nanquitas).
  • Additionally, support for the buggy IDA 6.8 gdb client was removed. Please use IDA 7.0 or higher.
P.S: IDA 7.0 added client support for no-ack mode (Debugging options > Set specific options), which should be enabled to make debugging twice as smooth. "Use stepping support" should be unchecked.

YAY new release. new stuff and stuff.

Last edited by Flame,

Dante2405

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I though this version was supposed to offer the possibility to control screen brightness like NTR use to do?

I've got NTRBoot selector 2.9 and it works with Luma 9.0 on my N3DS.

Blaze Uchiha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I though this version was supposed to offer the possibility to control screen brightness like NTR use to do?

I've got NTRBoot selector 2.9 and it works with Luma 9.0 on my N3DS.
the github says it breaks the latest bootNTR. Only the latest commit compiled would make it work. You didn't have to do that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good