OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
2011-07-19-lion-screen-desktop-lion-1311031162.jpg

Well it looks like the cat's finally out of the bag virtual box. Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer just confirmed during today's earnings call that Mac OS 10.7 is due to hit the Mac App Store tomorrow, making Lion available as a 4GB download for $30. The new operating system packs 250 new features, including an iOS-like app launcher, multi-touch gestures, AirDrop for direct file sharing, and system-wide Resume. More enhancements that will feel particularly familiar to iOS users include a new version of Mail with conversation view, and reverse touchpad scrolling. We'll have a full review of Lion later this week, but check out our hands-on preview for our initial impressions. Want to collaborate on projects with multiple machines? Lion Server will also be available as a $50 download -- for those of you that need to support an entire pride. [/p]

icon11.gif
Source

I'll update my Hackintosh eventually. I really like the wallpaper.

(For Hackintosh users: http://www.insanelymac.com/project-v0ltr0n...llation-on-pcs/)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't know; I see that some of the features are kind of nice, but why would I want to pay 30 bucks to make my Mac more like the iPad?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
Mac OS 10.7 is due to hit the Mac App Store tomorrow, making Lion available as a 4GB download for $30.

Stopped reading there. I don't envy you, Mac users. For me, buying an OS is basically equal to getting free updates. Apparently it's not so obvious for people at GiveMeYourMoney corp, as they appear to think that putting a few overlays and adding a few apps to an OS makes it a "new OS". Well... It doesn't. I'm sorry, but I fail to see any differences between this screenshot and the previous OS X. In fact, I fail to see any differences between ANY of the OS X systems. What a bag of fail you got there.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:
Mac OS 10.7 is due to hit the Mac App Store tomorrow, making Lion available as a 4GB download for $30.

Stopped reading there. I don't envy you, Mac users. For me, buying an OS is basically equal to getting free updates. Apparently it's not so obvious for people at GiveMeYourMoney corp, as they appear to think that putting a few overlays and adding a few apps to an OS makes it a "new OS". Well... It doesn't. I'm sorry, but I fail to see any differences between this screenshot and the previous OS X. In fact, I fail to see any differences between ANY of the OS X systems. What a bag of fail you got there.

It's kind of like getting a new OS in a sense; New features that change how OSX works, and it's a lot cheaper then upgrading to a new Windows OS (170+ dollars).

QUOTE(Linkiboy @ Jul 19 2011, 07:57 PM)
I'm so glad they finally gave Costello his own operating system.
I lol'd so hard at this.
biggrin.gif

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:

like you said "you fail"

features =/= looks.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, Versions and Resume look pretty sweet. I also saw that they were adding iCloud support, which is pretty awesome. (I'm still gonna use Dropbox, thank you very much.)

I just don't know about AirDrop; When would I need that?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:

It's kind of like getting a new OS in a sense; New features that change how OSX works, and it's a lot cheaper then upgrading to a new Windows OS (170+ dollars).

Hardly, windows OS upgrade provide a lot more than a few fancy swipe manoeuvres.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The site says that the OS would get "250+ features". That seems deserving of an upgrade, for me at least...

And I don't really want to argue. I love both OSs, and I don't want to get this thread locked.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
I just don't know about AirDrop; When would I need that?

it's just when there are otehr macs around and you wanna share files. instead of turning fileshare on and joining a network, the computers see each other. hopefully it works with iOS 5 too for wireless syncing.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
inb4MacHaters....oh wait-

My friend is stupid. First, when I told him about this when the price and size was announced, he complained and said he wouldn't get it until it was a disc format, as he didn't want to spend the 4GB. I then got to explain that it wouldn't matter, since it would still install the 4GB anyways, and that there were no plans for a disc release of the OS upgrade. A few excuses later, I just gave up and assumed he would never get it.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
The site says that the OS would get "250+ features". That seems deserving of an upgrade, for me at least...

And I don't really want to argue. I love both OSs, and I don't want to get this thread locked.
There are lots of new things, they're just not advertising them. However, it's in Apple's DNA to make everything's seamless so they hardly change the GUI from version to version that way people who still own versions like Tiger (10.4) can still work with Lion (10.7) just fine. That's not always the case with Windows, each version has a little learning curve especially if the GUI has changed.

[youtube]xS2ZipMM2Oo[/youtube]

Apparently Lion also gets Application Sandboxing. That would have been helpful for Windows ages ago. However, it is available in certain AV's.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
OS X upgrade $30... That's quite okay.

The windows 7 upgrade costs S$220.

But I suppose the price is much higher as it is optimized to work on many many computers

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
chris888222 said:
OS X upgrade $30... That's quite okay.

The windows 7 upgrade costs S$220.

But I suppose the price is much higher as it is optimized to work on many many computers

What are you talking about?

Microsoft was updating all Windows Vista Home Premium/Buisness/Ultimate computers to their Windows 7 counterparts free of charge:

Upgrading to the new system cost you NOTHING.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd also like to add that since the year 2000, Apple released 8 versions of Mac OSX while Microsoft only released Windows XP, Vista and 7.

...do I really have to explain who payed more for upgrades so far?

This basically means that Apple is releasing a "new" OS X once every 14 or so months. Because they're good with revisions like that. I mean, look at the iPhone - we have how many of those already? 4?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll pay $30 for an OS over paying over $120 for any version of Windows.... You guys say Macs are over priced. But in the long run, they last longer and their OS isn't very expensive. But most of you are pirates, so that doesn't matter I guess.

But on topic: I'm excited. :3

Fox: You cannot compare updating a mobile OS to updating a computer OS.... The iPhone updates yearly, and the updates are FREE(iPhone, iPod touch users had to pay like $10 up until iOS 4).

You're clearly a heater. So kindly shut the fuck up.

With love,

iFish.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/WwFuB1GRKz4