• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Didn't it affect Windows 7/10 computers?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
I was just kidding. But people in Portugal, at least in less economically stable cities and rural areas aren't really too up to date with tech, a few will though not exactly the majority.

Despite that, said people still go out of their way to owning the latest iPhone, Galaxy, high-end cars, large HDTVs and so on. Credit cards.

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just kidding. But people in Portugal, at least in less economically stable cities and rural areas aren't really too up to date with tech, a few will though not exactly the majority.

Despite that, said people still go out of their way to owning the latest iPhone, Galaxy, high-end cars, large HDTVs and so on. Credit cards.
Greed is a powerful thing...
(In terms of buying tons of expensive stuff despite their situation)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
You missed off

• No one gives a shit about linux.
Microsoft runs Linux on their servers. They don't even like Windows. :^)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually, that pretty much random. Touch Bar MBPs have issues because of drivers. Acually, that's all about drivers.

Sorry, but Debian and its derivatives, as well as Fedora, Arch, etc., and even macOS which is Darwin-based, are all superior to Win from a technical standpoint. They are Unix-based. Developping on a Unix-based system is a piece of kek (Falcon kek), and there is the almighty Python. Windows has as its major pro that it is widespread, so mainstream devs, companies&co are implicitly forced to dev for Windows. But 90% of servers in the world actually run on Linux.
macOS is actually true UNIX and the only OS today that is considered to be (it's UNIX certified).

Reactions: Deleted User

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, updating to 1703 was a mistake. now my icons keep rearranging themselves for no reason, its using way more ram, and i keep getting two errors when i startup, and i cant figure out what they are for, or whats triggering them.

Reactions: MrJason005

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

All ATMs in Portugal still use Windows 98 and XP

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Deleted member 373057

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just use Linux lol.

Games? Last game I played was Pokemon SM in November. Haven't touched it since. I'm not much of a gamer. At all.
Photoshop? I don't edit pictures.
Video editors etc? The odd time I need to make a video, Kdenlive is good enough.

I'm a CLI type of guy, GUIs are nice in some situations, but I definitely use ``man`` more. If you know what I mean :^)

Reactions: MrJason005

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Premium or free as well? I'm using free currently
Free suffices. The premium version just offers real-time monitoring and a firewall. I say that if you're going to get a commercial AV go with ESET Smart Security. It has an amazing firewall, a router penetration tester, and it's really good at determining heuristics. It's also really good at blocking web based attacks.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: Deleted User

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Free suffices. The premium version just offers real-time monitoring and a firewall. I say that if you're going to get a commercial AV go with ESET Smart Security. It has an amazing firewall, a router penetration tester, and it's really good at determining heuristics.
I just use the free version of Malwarebytes and AVG free (even though it's ass and false positives a lot of stuff)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I just use the free version of Malwarebytes and AVG free (even though it's ass and false positives a lot of stuff)
Having multiple AVs is a bad idea due to how they hook into the kernel. It can lead to registry problems and even a broken boot sequence. And yeah, I really despise AVG since it's overly sensitive to all the wrong things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof