I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
basically what this thread boils down to is that marcan is worse than the mafia
meh ...that old pun :/
and respect the man..

I have nothing to correct, so we have some leads right there it seems, or what appears to be the very beginnings of Wii U homebrew, which I have no doubts will take off. I don't know what's going on, but I've a feeling something big is brewing....if you know what I mean.
Maybe I'm talking some nonsense, since I'm not a programer.. but wouldn't that smartphone optimized version of Ubuntu something that would run with less struggle on the WiiU, and with some new implementations, apps and stuff?
this is what I'm talking about..

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
What marcan has always seen as ideal was a linux port, even from the beginning with the wii. They developed the mini with the hopes of giving people the direct hardware access they needed for it but since everyone was already used to using libogc and the first linux ports using an IOS were so limited people didn't show much interest in using it while it was being ported to mini and THEN improved ... And that process was abandoned because of that same lack of public interest. By the time they discovered they could disable AHBPROT and just ignore the presence of either an IOS or the mini (which would have made a linux port a whole lot easier) it was too late to arouse public interest in redoing linux.

Because of AHBPROT, though, it would now be easier than ever to just port over linux with direct hardware access and if you wanted to make a single port for both old wii and vwii, just having one use 3 cores and the other use 1. On the other hand, if you wanted to deal with a only vWii approach, you could maybe skip the backwards compatibility way of communicating with them and just use the drivers that he says are already available to you.

Either was he was looking at it, though, be it just starting in vWii and breaking out every time you wanted more power (plan A?) or a linux port (plan B?) I assume he hoped that would keep people far enough away from the environment the games actually run in to prevent his work from being used for piracy.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting to see, I believe this came up on Marcan's chat log

What marcan has always seen as ideal was a linux port, even from the beginning with the wii. They developed the mini with the hopes of giving people the direct hardware access they needed for it but since everyone was already used to using libogc and the first linux ports using an IOS were so limited people didn't show much interest in using it while it was being ported to mini and THEN improved ... And that process was abandoned because of that same lack of public interest. By the time they discovered they could disable AHBPROT and just ignore the presence of either an IOS or the mini (which would have made a linux port a whole lot easier) it was too late to arouse public interest in redoing linux.

Because of AHBPROT, though, it would now be easier than ever to just port over linux with direct hardware access and if you wanted to make a single port for both old wii and vwii, just having one use 3 cores and the other use 1. On the other hand, if you wanted to deal with a only vWii approach, you could maybe skip the backwards compatibility way of communicating with them and just use the drivers that he says are already available to you.

Either was he was looking at it, though, be it just starting in vWii and breaking out every time you wanted more power (plan A?) or a linux port (plan B?) I assume he hoped that would keep people far enough away from the environment the games actually run in to prevent his work from being used for piracy.
Yes...but piracy appears to be here anyway. I doubt it is a ploy as some believe. I am thinking somebody will likely try to use what Marcan gave and go for the rest. 3 cores is something but no GPU access on Wii U side? Is the screen people want to use only available with entire GPU unlocked? Given what is put out and about to be sold, I think a full Wii U mode unlock saves time effort, and gives processors at full speed...GPU, etc.

As I believe Marcan, I hope others get gold. There are some very clever people out there. Measuring commitment of devs is understandable. I did read the rest that was made public. So if somebody else officially "finds" Wii mode info, lol, not from Marcan;-). Doubtful, but to prevent piracy...yet it is out?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
the sys PLL (multiplier smd) was known on Wii to reach 10x (1010), but locked to 3x (0011). the thing is, where, does the PLL need to be altered to change the clock frequency correctly.. if the PLL is inside the CPU, we're SOL

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sys PLL (multiplier smd) was known on Wii to reach 10x (1010), but locked to 3x (0011). the thing is, where, does the PLL need to be altered to change the clock frequency correctly.. if the PLL is inside the CPU, we're SOL
Marcan mentioned a work-around for something BUT I do recall reading in the comments of his blog (see links around here) that something he tried did not increase the clock. If this the type of thing you are referring to?

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Marcan is a big troll.

yeah, at this stage with Steam on Linux and Android, I'm having a hard time seeing that big a future for traditional consoles

OK, I want to play a new game on linux, tell me how?
Android? I want to play Carmageddon, oh? its not out yet.

great platforms :(

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marcan is a big troll.

Android? I want to play Carmageddon, oh? its not out yet.

So am I, but you don't hear me bragging about it...oh wait.

Give the man some credit, he knows a lot. He has his reasons, and we need to respect it. Wii U is not ruled out, someone will hack it if he doesn't

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of a troll writes something like this:
http://marcansoft.com/blog/2011/01/safe-hacking/#more-275

I can't think of a hacker with more of a moral center (and talent/accomplishments) than Marcan.

True that; everyone has their own quirks and actions may rub others the wrong way, but that doesn't change the fact that some people are geniuses or at least very adept at this field of programming. In this case, Marcan. I may have pissed him off more frequently that I'd like to, but I never hated him. I want to make things right, I want to clarify that I was never mad at him per se, but rather the situation that was presented to us was an awkward one to say the least. The phrase "love the sinner, hate the sin" would be appropriate. If people want to be mad at me, so be it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Marcan is a big troll.
If you'd read more than one line (I know this is difficult, but you must try!) you'll see that he also laments how much software is not being released on Android and such. GTA III shows that PC games can and will run when ported to Android, it's just usually older ones since the GPUs in Android devices are not nearly to the standards modern games need. Maybe if Android devices were still using low resolutions, but with everything tossing 720P+ screens on nowadays, that raises the GPU use dramatically (double the resolution, quadruple the required bandwidth and shader work).

Many games are getting official Linux ports nowadays, even Steam has an official Linux version.

One thing all you people seem to be missing is that there's shit other than playing videogames involved. He's talking about the devices from a programmer's standpoint, how easy it is to develop programs at home for them.

Reactions: gamefan5

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
marcan's (and from what I can gather the whole of fail0verfl0w's) point of view is understandable, but still makes me a little sad.

I don't own a WiiU, nor will I in the foreseeable future, yet I always love hearing about storys where devices are hacked and freed up for the User to use as they please. I don't own an iPhone either, yet I read into the last view jailbreaks, just out of curiosity.

At this point I actually hope that the wiikeyU is real, so fail0verfl0w won't have any reason not to release the hack. If piracy is already possible it can't get any worse, afterall.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The marcan's (and from what I can gather the whole of fail0verfl0w's) point of view is understandable, but still makes me a little sad.

I don't own a WiiU, nor will I in the foreseeable future, yet I always love hearing about storys where devices are hacked and freed up for the User to use as they please. I don't own an iPhone either, yet I read into the last view jailbreaks, just out of curiosity.

At this point I actually hope that the wiikeyU is real, so fail0verfl0w won't have any reason not to release the hack. If piracy is already possible it can't get any worse, afterall.

There is some behind-the-scenes action going here, not all is lost.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/coding-v...rything-you-need-to-know.347626/#post-4637035

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is some behind-the-scenes action going here, not all is lost.
Seriously, Marcan gave some of the exploit, BUT it is for vWii only. Only person I've seen working on it is Maxternal on her thread about "3 cores." Idea is to get linux running in/over (whatever) vWii. Marcan offered to help (if/when needed) for some points and Comex has stopped in to help. I suggest anyone with coding skills, linux knowledge, and hacking skills seriously look to help. The bickering leads nowhere.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, Marcan gave some of the exploit, BUT it is for vWii only. Only person I've seen working on it is Maxternal on her thread about "3 cores." Idea is to get linux running in/over (whatever) vWii. Marcan offered to help (if/when needed) for some points and Comex has stopped in to help. I suggest anyone with coding skills, linux knowledge, and hacking skills seriously look to help. The bickering leads nowhere.

I would advise strongly to those who are reading this to take notice of the activity; it's subtle for now, but it will become more noticeable.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
All I can hope for with my thread is getting the extra "number crunching" in the libogc based apps (normal homebrew) that he mentioned. I hope with a group effort some simple code and functions that can be put together that can be copied and pasted into existing apps to make it easier for them to take advantage of the other cores.

The linux port, it a little beyond me ATM, but maybe having that info available in the thread will help someone who knows how to port linux correctly. I think the linux kernel is the only thing that needs porting here, though. A normal homebrew app would just need to go through the same motions and then hand off control to linux (ironically, right BEFORE the only part I've actually been working at) and let it go.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress