Meet The Xbox Adaptive Controller, Microsoft's Controller For Gamers With Limited Mobility

xbox adaptive controller.JPG

When we think of controllers, we usually think of the standard handheld one with front-facing buttons complete with analogue sticks and some trigger buttons on top (unless if you are Nintendo). While the ergonomic aspect is still debated, with some preferring the Playstation layout over the Xbox one and vice versa, these controllers are not adapted for every gamer. In paticular gamers with medical conditions like cerebral palsy or with amputated fingers/hands have limited mobility or cannot use both of their hands, and as such traditional controllers are not ideal for them to enjoy their games. Microsoft aims to address those concerns with the newly announced Xbox Adaptive Controller.

So how does it work? The main unit is the white slab you see in the first picture above looking kind of like an arcade stick. Its full potential is packed at its rear with a plethora of inputs for enhanced customization:

back side.JPG

One can connect assistive switches (sold separately) for buttons, thumbstick and trigger inputs via the 3.5 jacks, USB joysticks to the USB port and the whole controller can be attached to different mounts from the back to adjust for height and accessibility. Additionally, with the Xbox Accessories App, the buttons can be configured to one's liking.

Microsoft says that the Xbox Adaptive Controller will cost $100 and will be out sometime later this year.

It's great to see a company at the forefront of gaming invest in such a device to help make gaming more accessible. If you want to read more about the designing process behind the Xbox Adaptive Controller, you can do so via the Microsoft Story Lab blog post.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amusingly enough the other video game company that I recently heard is doing stuff for disabled people is ... EA.
Pretty ironic considering all the other shitty practices they have.
I recall Nintendo producing a special controller for people with little to no hand mobility back in the NES days, but I agree, it's been a while

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Heh, one of my friends yesterday said "That new leaked xbox controller is for retarded or gamers who don't play well?"
Now, knowing what this controller's purpose is he feels a bit bad

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This is really cool.
The external switches are connected via 3.5mm jacks, they are probably standardized and allow for easy custom designs as well, so people can build specific custom switches and layouts. This is really cool.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So how does that work? Where is the button? What are those two giant spot on it for?
i guess they are like Steam Controller, but the ABXY button are in one of these...
so these button are bigger so someone without finger can touch one of them without touching others
Wat I wonder though is, how would they do to press X and B at the same time :S

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i guess they are like Steam Controller, but the ABXY button are in one of these...
so these button are bigger so someone without finger can touch one of them without touching others
Wat I wonder though is, how would they do to press X and B at the same time :S
I though they were the left and right anologue sticks touch pads

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of that nes controller where you used your chin and breath to control. It's always uplifting to see developers go out of their way to provide entertainment for everyone

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I can see this making shooting games like fortnite easier to control. Too much possibilities. Well. Aside for the noble purpose it can serve.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, one of my friends yesterday said "That new leaked xbox controller is for retarded or gamers who don't play well?"
Now, knowing what this controller's purpose is he feels a bit bad
Quite frankly he should feel bad for using that term in the first place, but it sounds like perspective of reality got to him first

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1