Mega Man will be getting a live action movie

250px-Mega_Man_SSBU.png

Mario had one in the 1990s, Sonic the Hedgehog will be getting one next year, and soon to join the ranks of live action video game movies is Capcom's Blue Bomber, Mega Man. Simply titled Mega Man, it'll be written and directed by the partner team of Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, known for their work on "Paranormal Activity 4", as well as the MTV show "Catfish". Outside of the aforementioned, details are fairly light on what the movie will entail, or when it will release. This follows the recent release of Mega Man 11, the Mega Man X Collection, and the new CGI cartoon "Mega Man Fully Charged".

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that its popular Mega Man IP is scheduled to be adapted into a live-action Hollywood film for the first time.

Since Mega Man debuted on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1987, the series secured its position as one of Capcom’s major brands, boasting cumulative sales of 32 million units worldwide (as of June 30, 2018). Mega Man gained a following due to the challenging gameplay that contrasted with the memorable design of its characters; in the 30 years following its launch, the series has spawned numerous spin-offs, which altogether still enjoy the support of a deeply passionate fan base, consisting of everyone from younger players to hardcore gamers alike. Further, the Mega Man brand has been utilized in a wide variety of mediums around the globe, such as in character merchandise, comic books, animated television shows and movies. Mega Man 11, the newest title in the series, was released on October 2, 2018 in North America and Europe and October 4 in Japan.

The feature film, tentatively titled MEGA MAN, will be written and directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, and is scheduled to be distributed by 20th Century Fox. Chernin Entertainment, responsible for the Planet of the Apes series, will be producing it with Masi Oka, of Heroes fame. Based on the influential and globally beloved Mega Man franchise, Capcom aims to appeal to a diverse audience, including not only game players but action movie fans as well, with an adaptation that maintains the world of the Mega Man games, while incorporating the grand production and entertainment value that Hollywood movies are known for.

Capcom proactively leverages its rich library of original content in film and screen adaptations in conjunction with its Single Content Multiple Usage strategy. In addition to the release of Hollywood film Resident Evil: The Final Chapter in 2017 (released December 2016 in Japan), Mega Man: Fully Charged, an animated television show, began airing in North America in August 2018.

Going forward, Capcom remains committed to increasing the brand value of its game content by maximizing the significant promotional effect of visual media.

:arrow: Source

eworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why do people in the entertainment industry, instead of realizing that animation is superior to live-action in every possible way and should be pushing out live-action stuff out of existence due to the infinitely more vast possibilities it provides, insist on remaking everything that's animated into crappy live-action versions and create live-action movies based on clearly cartoony properties?

Reactions: DarthDub

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can't we just get another mega man anime? I liked The ones based on Battle network, and they never finished english dubbing all of Star Force. Instead you give us a CG/Cel Shade cartoon produced by the creators of ben 10 series with nothing close to what happens in any of the video games, and follow it up with this announcement.

I'm sorry but most works of fiction just don't work well in translation to Live action movie even with special effects. (Dragonball Evolution) :blink:

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, it's the story of how a robot butler consumes his enemies to absorb their powers in an effort to take down the nemesis of his creator.

Robot lab assistant. But that actually sounds like an interesting take on the story: robot cannibal zombie overlord. Of course, I have absolutely zero hope they'll actually do anything interesting with the story. Even if Capcom didn't shut down such an iteration, I don't think fans would be happy to have any sort of story that came out that painted the Blue Bomber in anything but the most positive light. I mean, Mega Man is just Astro Boy for video games, and it's not like Astro Boy the movie worked out well.

You wanted more Mega Man, and now look what you've done! Capcom has monkey paw'd us!

Really a shame, too. My "crazy" idea? Just start over with Mega Man 1 in an alternate relation, have it be Mega Roll as the heroine, include male and female antagonist robot masters, and in version Mega Roll 2 or 3 introduce character swapping (like Mega Man X7/X8) with Mega Bass. Whether want to gender swap Dr Light or Wily is up to them, but it'd be nice if they did mix up the main antagonist a little. Make it all NES level graphics. Boom, done.

Last edited by kuwanger,

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i was actually gonna do this myself, my son playing the role of Rock, his sister as Roll, but for the life of me i couldn't get my daughter to take direction lol. Was considering casting his best friend as Roll, but she too couldn't take direction.....i was surprised, i thought my son would have been the weakest link but he turns out not too bad on-stage.... the goofiest kid in the world can pretend to be serious, lol.

i think i'll probably end up filming it anyways for kicks, i wont bother putting in expensive effects and just throw it up on youtube for kicks, it'd be funny if it turned out better than the official version LOL!
(this experience has taught me that maybe my kid should be an actor after all.....)

Reactions: DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway