Megaupload taken down

Shadow&Light

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pffth...now the domain shows the filthy government logo..

the US government has become a sellout whore to anybody who flashes enough money at it.

New news: megaupload wants the money the slippery government took away to help fight the court case... They are also fighting the extradition to USA.

How come every European that has pissed the fucking USA off, and is automatically extradited to their state!... Ala Tv-links lawsuit. Where the fuck does New Zealand have the right here!?
New Zealand is not in Europe. Learn some geography.

I apologize....when I say "european" I mean every country in the east besides the US...kinda genaralized there.
Define terrorist...Some of the definitions qualify the goverment

In the Anime Code Geass (fucking love that show), Zero, Kallen, and other rebels were considered "terrorists" because they rebelled against the publically evil force of Britania and fought for the rights of its oppressed citizens.

Sometimes you wonder what Our government considers "terrorism"

perhaps in the future, just uttering a single slander against the government could be "treason" and "terrorism"

The United States makes me fucking sick...and the way my career is looking..I might be blessed enough to leave it.

Proud to be American?..maybe 6 years ago,,..

I Love My Country. NOT my Government. - Jesse Ventura

Don't forget that the founding fathers where terrorist of their time. And they were just fighting for freedom!

Reactions: 1 person

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have yet to make it through all the replies or even read the indictment properly ( http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/January/12-crm-074.html - down when I just checked but cached if you want it to be) so I can not speak to matters of money laundering and such but a few thoughts none the less

This reminds me of the time suprnova went down "for good" and I guess it will have precisely the same net effect in the mid to long term (in the short term a few people that do not know will be left in the lurch and everybody else just updates bookmarks). On the other hand maybe they are playing the smart game and going for a lessen effects rather than outright stop something.

Also those storing files on the thing potentially getting burned- an early prelude to the downfall of a "cloud computing" provider perchance? It is essentially the same service after all. On that matter they seem to have actually taken servers and assuming they do not have crazy levels of redundancy I would not bet on a "new domain/enter an IP address" affair.

"Unable to finish downloads"- this is one of the reasons why the scene proper slices things up along certain lines and frowns upon those that would repack things.

(hell Google is probably the biggest .torrent search engine available).

I agree a few choice terms added to a search makes standard search engines considerably more powerful than inbuilt stuff but http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/27/google_bittorrent_terms_killed_on_autocomplete/ probably warrants mention.
Much as I am loathe to allow things to slide this way I can see why hiding behind the letter of the law (happily and readily removing items claiming infringement) but not necessarily the spirit (doing things on a per item basis and "ignoring" the bigger picture) would get you pinged.

Reactions: 1 person

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Money laundering is a pretty slick charge. It's a slippery crime to define. Having 10 pounds of gold hidden in your yard is considered a form of money laundering. Buying a big-screen TV requires you to file a notice with the IRS if it's too expensive. Paying cash for a car? Money laundering. Now, what they did would be legitimately considered money laundering if it was hiding drug money or being used for bribery. I'm curious if that's what they're charging them with.

I was pretty certain that Megaupload took files down all the time. They still had some though because people started renaming or encrypting files to prevent easy automated searches by the owners. In theory, you could write an application that works as a type of metaspider. It would go to Google and the like and then find downloads that matched some pattern. You'd have to manually download and then file DMCA notices. Most people don't have the time to do that, though. Actually, if you had subscriptions to all the file hosters, you could just have it download them for you and store it in a directory to look at later.

"He is not the sort of person who will pass unnoticed through our customs and immigration lines and controls," said defense lawyer Paul Davison of the former hacker, reportedly 2 meters (6ft 6ins) tall and weighing more than 130 kg (285 lbs).
How big of a boy are ya? :D

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it makes sense they'd limit it but I guess they went too far and didn't bother with DMCA? I'll go read that article in a second.

"But the government asserts that Megaupload merely wanted the veneer of legitimacy..."
Wait, shouldn't that logic apply to most government agencies as well? :P

The next few paragraphs are probably why they'll lose. That's some pretty damning evidence - it's especially poetic since they created it themselves and it came from their own servers. Wow, stupid is as stupid does.

I still think the timing is odd.

http://arstechnica.c...s-long-odds.ars We'll just have to wait and see.

Wouldn't this be considered a form of money laundering? I'm thinking that the prosecution may be thinking along those lines as well.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i just don't understand how this site got shut down. Everything I got from them was 100% legal. Maybe you needed to be registered for the shady stuff...We all know about piracy sites and Mega Upload was so much cleaner in terms of that stuff. Who knows, maybe they will come back once this country's government starts to worry about more important stuff than stolen electronic content. After all, people still buy dvds, music, and games...even if people get this same stuff for free...

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i just don't understand how this site got shut down. Everything I got from them was 100% legal.
Because you're everybody on the planet, right? :P

Nope, I'm not everyone. I just was making the point that there are people who only got legal material from that site. I just think the government is attacking one of many. Why only shut down Mega Uploads and no other sites? That's my point :P

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
i just don't understand how this site got shut down. Everything I got from them was 100% legal.
Because you're everybody on the planet, right? :P

Nope, I'm not everyone. I just was making the point that there are people who only got legal material from that site. I just think the government is attacking one of many. Why only shut down Mega Uploads and no other sites? That's my point :P

banner.jpg
"Conpiracy to commit Racketeering" "Conpiracy to commit money laundering"

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more upset that Megavideo is gone. I mean seriously how am I supposed to watch my anime now? Plus I had a cool android app for it that downloaded any video just by inputting the URL. I'm very upset.

emugirl1994

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
formspring.me
XP
Country
United States
I'm more upset that Megavideo is gone. I mean seriously how am I supposed to watch my anime now? Plus I had a cool android app for it that downloaded any video just by inputting the URL. I'm very upset.

Perhaps you should try PutLocker? They have a few vids hosted on their site so you might want to give it a shot.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or a decentralized file-sharing program? In theory, there's hosting that you can only get to from anonymous networks. And no, Freenet sucks eDonkey ****s - Slow as a turtle! :P Also, it doesn't really host hashed data chunks since they expire if no one downloads them. Weird, how it imitates some aspects of biology. For example,sourdough bread. When you make a sourdough starter, it has all kinds of bacteria and fungi, but by the first week it's full of 99.9999% of the ones you want.

If you want a real hosting solution that can't be easily shut down, then you'll need something like a VPS running I2P and a hidden server. It's actually about the same price as sites like MU and once you get it setup, you can share a copy of the setup with people who wouldn't know how to set it up themselves. A disk image is often all you need to get some virtual private servers configured instantly. Well, after uploading a 4GB file. That's smaller than a lot of the files you see people uploading, hehe. Almost forgot to mention: Just make sure that you don't anywhere near the bandwidth/CPU/RAM requirements. Buying a service meant for this would be recommended.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Affiliates earn 25% per sale, $10 sign-up bonus"
(From ibvpn)
Well now we know where the people who got commissions from MU will go, hehe. It seems that all the VPN's, seedboxes, and VPS's are running promotions like that.

Edit: Removed link because I wasn't sure if that was allowed. There's tons of VPN providers, anyways. I use that one for BT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta raid0 these m.2s yay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do a raid10
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's tomorrow
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn Wal-Mart has 42" 4k TVs for only $150
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i bet it will not fit inside your bedroom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea here in North Korea, we are only allowed 1 19" tv per household. And the only channel we get is, MLT (Missile Launch Today)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, doesn't fit in his bedroom he's American
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hate ordering stuff online if I can go buy it somewhere close to me, and everywhere anymore will give you a discount only if you order it online, bs. Should be a discount if I go pick it up, not order online.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I love it for most things most stores you just shows the receipt online and they scan it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Makes it easy for incompetent restaurant staff that don't know how to hear an order
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mostly for big purchases, I want it in my hands before I pay. Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc) But yea if I can order online, then pickup at store is ok, but not all places offer that.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    > Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc)

Thing is, if you break it driving back to your house, it's your fault. But if the delivery driver damages it, it's not your fault.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most people that haul big tvs have empty trucks or know enough not to set it face down
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then I gotta send it back and wait another week or two. I have a pickup truck, with a extended cab, so no prob for me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most manufacturers pack it well enough where they aren't that dumb to let it happen
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They building a new Microcenter store near by me, is kinda scary. That's my favorite place, I'm like a kid in a candy store there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what's a microcenter?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cool I'll make you ship me stuff
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microcenter sells high quality microwaves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Computer store basically, but they sell everything, like game systems, tvs , 3d printers, etc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've seen i9/mobo deals for like 400
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea been itching to build a new pc, mine is like 3-4 years old, ancient in pc tech time. Still using a sata SSD even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's still high tech to ancientboi
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's still high tech to ancientboi