Megaupload taken down

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Like others have said, why Megaupload and not the other countless file sharing websites? There must be something they're not telling us, and it's closed under the guise of piracy. Otherwise the others would go down with it; they're just or worse than megauplod at regulating it.

I still can't stand it when people assume that if megaupload didn't exist, I would have went out and paid $30 on the movie.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Megaupload... Load load load.... M-e-g-a up-load to me today, send me a file! Mega-up-load :sad:

I had all my backups from high school of random suff and my graphic design projects! X_x

Even though megaupload was just a site... I had fond memories of it when I was a kid looking for old 95 pc games and abandonware on Russian sites that had links only to Megaupload. Wonder if those are permanently gone.......

hell the game featured in my avatar "Time Commando" was one of my first games I ever downloaded from the Internet using a dialup connection.. From megaupload... Since it was the fastest and I could download in parts, and torrents were too slow and I was paranoid back then of using them (MY how time changes) , and eJackass had viruses.... MU was part of my digital life as a kid.. . very sad to see it go

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
New news: megaupload wants the money the slippery government took away to help fight the court case... They are also fighting the extradition to USA.

How come every European that has pissed the fucking USA off, and is automatically extradited to their state!... Ala Tv-links lawsuit. Where the fuck does New Zealand have the right here!?

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, were they preemptively arrested before they even had an indictment? It's just such a coinencidence that they were suing UMG over the advertisment video on YouTube. What do you want to bet that someone whispered in the right person's ear to go after them? The timing is about right. A little over 2 weeks to get an extradiction? Now they need the money to defend themselves while handling the civil case as well? Interesting questions - I wonder if we'll see the answers soon...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So I guess the "we're not responsible for the content / we remove flagged content" thing doesn't work any more?
It was never concrete. Limewire tried the same thing but then it was shown that they knew what they were doing and even changed things (client and network side) to account for piracy... so that excuse got thrown out.
Looks like it's the same sort of case here, at least partially.
http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-what-made-it-a-rogue-site-worthy-of-destruction-120120/
The indictment lists several other examples which are supposed to demonstrate that the admins of MegaUpload knew that their service was being used for the storage and distribution of illegal material.

While that article says "supposed", it's pretty much confirmed they knew and helped.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New news: megaupload wants the money the slippery government took away to help fight the court case... They are also fighting the extradition to USA.

How come every European that has pissed the fucking USA off, and is automatically extradited to their state!... Ala Tv-links lawsuit. Where the fuck does New Zealand have the right here!?
New Zealand is not in Europe. Learn some geography.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
7xO1G.jpg

Goodnight Sweet Prince....and my files... :(

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
pffth...now the domain shows the filthy government logo..

the US government has become a sellout whore to anybody who flashes enough money at it.

I apologize....when I say "european" I mean every country in the east besides the US...kinda genaralized there.
Define terrorist...Some of the definitions qualify the goverment

In the Anime Code Geass (fucking love that show), Zero, Kallen, and other rebels were considered "terrorists" because they rebelled against the publically evil force of Britania and fought for the rights of its oppressed citizens.

Sometimes you wonder what Our government considers "terrorism"

perhaps in the future, just uttering a single slander against the government could be "treason" and "terrorism"

The United States makes me fucking sick...and the way my career is looking..I might be blessed enough to leave it.

Proud to be American?..maybe 6 years ago,,..

I Love My Country. NOT my Government. - Jesse Ventura

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pffth...now the domain shows the filthy government logo..

the US government has become a sellout whore to anybody who flashes enough money at it.

I apologize....when I say "european" I mean every country in the east besides the US...kinda genaralized there.

Ho. lee. shit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Technically the crimes in question were committed in the US so they can be extradited to here for prosecution. It's a bit fuzzy with online stuff since physically it didn't happen here but fuzzy enough that they can get away with it.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think they will use the IP Address with over 50 million users per day. It's too many to go through.

Edit: I could be wrong though. But, don't worry for the time being.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Technically the crimes in question were committed in the US so they can be extradited to here for prosecution. It's a bit fuzzy with online stuff since physically it didn't happen here but fuzzy enough that they can get away with it.

Physically it did happen in the US. The "Criminal Copyright Infringement" charge anyway. The servers were in US, therefore the physical bytes making up each illegal file were all in the US. The other charges (all the conspiracy charges) are more vague - I'm not sure if there was in some form documents relating to these on the servers or something, otherwise I don't see how the US could take responsibility for prosecution on those charges. Seeing as the people running MegaUpload, the ones who were arrested, were all in New Zealand I believe, and MU was a Hong Kong country, I would assume most "business matters" did not take place in the US and therefore can't be dealt with by US authorities to the best of my knowledge.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
174.140.154.12 is of course down as well. They didn't just pull the domain down but the server. (Source: domaintools)
Code:
2007-11-04	 Change	 69.5.88.71	 209.222.148.132
2008-03-09	 Change	 209.222.148.132	 209.222.148.133
2008-04-27	 Change	 209.222.148.133	 209.222.148.132
2009-01-05	 Change	 209.222.148.132	 69.5.88.201
2009-02-23	 Change	 69.5.88.201	 69.5.88.200
2009-07-13	 Change	 69.5.88.200	 69.5.88.225
2009-10-03	 Change	 69.5.88.225	 69.5.88.200
2009-12-03	 Change	 69.5.88.200	 174.140.154.12
2011-04-10	 New	 -none-	 174.140.154.12

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum