Homebrew Merry Christmas - Have some RAM Dumping!

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
(Ending reply for talk about piracy)
Have you thought about the creator of the car BMW for instance, they lose if you freely could copy the car for free, why the heck buy it if you can get it for free. And yes its true that some people have benefitted from piracy but that is often not the case. Also belive me on this one people crack even when they CAN afford a game.
Lets end that discussion there.

Edit: when will peoples learn that physical things and software is basically the same things, the only difference is that you can't touch the software(at the moment) it still costs money to produce.

Reactions: cearp

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lets end that discussion there.

Edit: when will peoples learn that physical things and software is basically the same things, the only difference is that you can't touch the software(at the moment) it still costs money to produce.

When will people learn to stop going off topic. When will people learn that they are not the same thing and that the issue is more complex than that. When will people learn that developers who have a dunning-kruger mindset often use piracy as a excuse for their game not doing well, instead of being able to accept their game just wasn't that good.

The discussion ended last page. Don't talk about this anymore, please. Contact people in PM if you want to discuss this.

imb4 Mod deletes all these posts. Sorry mod.

Reactions: pelago and Duo8
D

Deleted User

The developers that gave fierce waffle the info he needed to build this ram dumper did not share it with him to so people can create a cfw rom loader. They shared it with him to enable (legal) homebrew.

If those developers did not share the info with fierce waffle then he would be nowhere. So thanks for the disrespect, no wonder good developers are a dying breed

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
The developers that gave fierce waffle the info he needed to build this ram dumper did not share it with him to so people can create a cfw rom loader. They shared it with him to enable (legal) homebrew.

If those developers did not share the info with fierce waffle then he would be nowhere. So thanks for the disrespect, no wonder good developers are a dying breed
I didn't ask him to stop develop, I asked him to implement some kind of security against piracy in the future. If that takes as disrespect in your country, I'm sorry but you might be crazy, if you misunderstood I didn't mean that I said. ;)

Reactions: NEP
D

Deleted User

filfat, you're a pretty good guy :).

My comments were directed to the guy that just wants a 3ds rom loader from SD card.

Reactions: filfat

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
Back on topic, this ram dump will be very usable when there comes to Return Orientate Programing Chain, as we now may know some of the return addresses that was only accessible trough a hardware mod before, which means that we sooner or later can create a way of running "full"* unsigned code on the system. And what's even better is that I will sooner or later get a 3DS with fw 1.0 that I will dump, and then update to 4.5 so I can test a bit with a ram dump, and hopefully learn a bit more about assambly and maybe be able to create my own R.O.P. Chain someday(that will probably happen in about 20-25 years or so :P )

just a guess a return address to look like this in hex format: 0x83582, right? Or is it only as a normal integer like 83582?(and yes I mean for the 3DS in particular I have done a bit of software reversing on PC), Also, I would be thankful if someone could point me to the right direction for creating and compiling stuff like a R.O.P. Chain. Thanks :D

*by referring to "full" I mean in a Homebrew channel style.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no compilers for rop chains. There is no executable code to compile. You are manipulating data on the stack - registers and data are pushed on the stack when a function is called - the return address is also stored on the stack. With rop you manipulate these return addresses to point piece of existing code that you want executed. The code has to exist but say in the case of a function call you can manipulate the parameters to suit your needs. Manipulating the parameters requires you to move values into registers by finding bits of code that modify a register and return. This is a very tedious process that needs to be done by hand. On top of that you may also have a limit to the amount of stack space that you are able to manipulate.

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
I got a bad decrypt error trying the first one on Launcher.dat. Is gateway.dat a different file? Because I couldn't find anything on it.
succeeded on mine, but i used raw c code with polarssl library. the md5 of the output should be 646d685e2643b1e3234df3d0a15fd58b

edit: you should have a header same as this one:
Code:
B9 F2 10 00 E0 FE 01 00 10 00 00 00 C4 4F 1C 00
00 94 27 00 FC 34 13 00 44 44 44 44 8C 3D 14 00
00 94 27 00 2F F7 1A 00 44 44 44 44 C4 4F 1C 00
01 00 7E 9A 58 B2 18 00 44 44 44 44 D4 14 10 00
84 7D 2B 00 8C 3D 14 00 88 01 27 00 18 CF 18 00
44 44 44 44 B9 F2 10 00 E0 FE 01 00 10 00 00 00
C4 4F 1C 00 00 94 27 00 FC 34 13 00 44 44 44 44
8C 3D 14 00 00 94 27 00 2F F7 1A 00 44 44 44 44
C4 4F 1C 00 02 00 7E 9A 58 B2 18 00 44 44 44 44
D4 14 10 00 48 01 2B 00 8C 3D 14 00 E4 EF 22 00
18 CF 18 00 44 44 44 44 08 30 10 00 E5 04 21 00
7C CF 2C 00 00 47 18 00 00 64 11 00 00 43 1B 00
00 32 11 00 00 B8 07 00 30 E6 21 00 F9 02 10 00
28 43 1E 00 44 44 44 44 55 55 55 55 66 66 66 66

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
There are no compilers for rop chains. There is no executable code to compile. You are manipulating data on the stack - registers and data are pushed on the stack when a function is called - the return address is also stored on the stack. With rop you manipulate these return addresses to point piece of existing code that you want executed. The code has to exist but say in the case of a function call you can manipulate the parameters to suit your needs. Manipulating the parameters requires you to move values into registers by finding bits of code that modify a register and return. This is a very tedious process that needs to be done by hand. On top of that you may also have a limit to the amount of stack space that you are able to manipulate.
yes, I know that there's no compiler for a r.o.p. Chain, what I meant was to "compile" it into a file, not compile the code, i should have been more clear on that one, also I know about the stack space already, anything more you can point me at? :D

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
succeeded on mine, but i used raw c code with polarssl library. the md5 of the output should be 646d685e2643b1e3234df3d0a15fd58b

edit: you should have a header same as this one:

Got an identical header, but different checksum. Tried three different decryption methods, all gave me bad signature etc. Eh, I doubt this'd be much use to me anyway, I was just curious. :P At the least, interesting to see more people turning their eye to the 3DS! fierce waffle and megazig, naerhwert, saw 173210 say on twitter he might consider switching from Vita to 3DS.

Reactions: zecoxao

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
Got an identical header, but different checksum. Tried three different decryption methods, all gave me bad signature etc. Eh, I doubt this'd be much use to me anyway, I was just curious. :P At the least, interesting to see more people turning their eye to the 3DS! fierce waffle and megazig, naerhwert, saw 173210 say on twitter he might consider switching from Vita to 3DS.
this is what i used:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Yg8gAa5a!bpC7axeB-l8Dty5cqPnyBkwwBL191wx6Jcf3NsNtB9I

Obviously you need polarssl for that

Reactions: Vappy

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It's probably not worth writing software to do it if you're just writing it once. But you could create some form of meta data that described what you wanted to achieve in your program and automate that. You could call that software a compiler.

Reactions: filfat

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably not worth writing software to do it if you're just writing it once. But you could create some form of meta data that described what you wanted to achieve in your program and automate that. You could call that software a compiler.
One does not simply walk into mordor... Seriously though, I think you are not grasping the complexity of the task at hand. It is more of a puzzle where you need to track down several pieces that must be aligned just so, in order to accomplish a single step. Yes it is probably possible to write something along the lines that you described. But it would be much more useful to create a rop chain that can load and launch compiled code. This is most likely to be written in a hex editor - really any tool that can write raw untranslated data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo