Metroid 64 fan game in development for PC

y8vfocjmvHUVTfBxdcTq9V-970-80.jpg

Metroid is perhaps the most notable Nintendo franchise that skipped the Nintendo 64. While the possibility of a Metroid 64 has been mentioned in passing, it does not seem that it was ever in any serious consideration. (According to a 2010 interview with Super Metroid director Yoshio Sakamoto, both he and another company they tried to outsource a potential Metroid 64 to could not see any way for it to compare favourably to Super Metroid.) Now, indie developer Luto Akino is working on what he thinks Metroid 64 may have looked like.

A Tweet from April 26, 2022 shows a two minute demo of gameplay basics; we get to see Samus running and shooting, turning into a morphball, as well as some platforming. While development is certainly in the early stages, Akino appears to be serious about the project, to the point that he has written a synopsis for the story and decided where it will go in the timeline, taking place before the original Metroid so that it doesn't "interfere with the official timeline." Akino has also said that, while he would love for it to be playable as a ROM, right now it is only being developed for the PC.

You can follow Metroid 64's development on Akino's Twitter and Instagram pages.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this actually makes it, I'm interested to see what sort of level design has been implemented... Was there any concept art or even source designs to build upon or is it just this devs concept?

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unity is flat out a worse(coded) engine overall. But, it has far more documentation and more readily accessible guides for it, mainly due it being less resource heavy; Thus, allows people with worse computers to use it freely. Unreal is mainly made up of professionals that are too busy, and can't help each other. But, this brings in the stigma that Unity is garbage overall because it's easier to use, hence, allowing worse programmers to be able to make bad games.

Unity is a good engine, but, bad devs flock to it due to it's ease of use.
exactly, when I was first beginning my coding journey, I made a stop at unity because its visual coding looked relatively easy and approachable.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
these fools don't learn and don't listen we've seen what happens we've seen it happen again and again and it's going to happen once more 100%

countdown to DMCA!
It's almost like it's not about learning from past situations but about people who just want to make Metroid games.
Don't worry, they know the risks of doing that, they still do because they want to.

I genuinely don't get why there are some people calling gamemakers morons because they want to make fan games. I just don't get it. People do whatever the fuck they want and if all they risk is getting an email/letter from Nintendo telling them to stop, then that's pretty much it.
Also I'm pretty sure DoctorN64 got a pretty nice job on Ori after AM2R. I wouldn't call him a moron for spending years developping a game that was meant to be shutdown by Nintendo.

1. C&D
2. Change name and all assets
3. Development limbo with no updates on progress

Anyone remember Oddity?
Clearly not the same. Not only there are already a bunch of games inspired by Earthbound, but each Mother game had a different cast and took place in a different world. It's pretty easy to have a spiritual successor of Mother 3 without the name.
But take a Metroid game without Samus, it's not really a Metroid game anymore. What's the point of doing an N64-style Metroid game if you take Samus out and just make it with random robot gunner ? The point was to make a game that look like something that could have been released by Nintendo on the N64, that's it.

Now, I do agree that if they really want to complete their game, they shouldn't talk too much about it. AM2R did that pretty well I guess ? I followed it's developpement for years before it's completion and the huge success of it's release caught Nintendo's eye but at least it was already finished.

Prime 2D on the other hand tho ..... It looked so good and random garbage websites talked about it so much. I don't think a Metroid 64 style game would get that much attention tho, but you're never sure.

I guess some people just like showing progress and talking about what they are doing otherwise, could be very hard to keep it secret until the very end.

Last edited by LightBeam,

Tiger21820

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo3dscentral.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo fan games should ALWAYS be hosted on the deep web, and NEVER publicly announced on a popular social media platform! It is guaranteed to be given a C&D at some point! In order for these to stay alive, they need to be hidden from those who want to destroy them! BLACKLIST NINTENDO, OR THEY'LL BLACKLIST YOU!

Last edited by Tiger21820,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm just sick of how Nintendo shuts down these fangames and get ZERO backlash from their "fans" (aka the mindless zombie fanboys who would feel they do no wrong even if they commit genocide or something (not that they'll go that far i hope but some of these nintendo fans hold the company up to a god like standard only to be shat on and love it

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3D Sonic is bad enough, the last thing it needs is to be on the N64
ever head of "Project 06"? basicly the worst sonic game in history being redone (from scratch in UE) still a WIP but plays much better than the trainwreck of bugs Sonic 06 was) and tmk has yet to be taken down also it's using 0 Re'ing basicly using gameplay vids as reference like that redone by scratch

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sad to see its not an actual N64 game... that wouldve been cool
Exactly!, when I heard the news I thought it was a homebrew game for N64

wdym there is no Metroid game on N64?

ESXdVTgX0Act2t4

Joking aside, I know that Other M has been a bad game for many but I think its mechanics would be perfect for the N64, 3D corridors with some first person scenes.

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks pretty neat. I think a port of Samus Returns would make a lot of sense on n64. The controller is perfect for the retarded control setup of that game.
Move with d-pad since movement is digital, aim with the stick since you have to stop dead in your tracks anyways, A=jump, Z & B=shoot, R=Missles, L=toggle beams (regular/ice/grapple), and the C buttons to activate the aeon powers. Graphics wouldn't look much worse either.

AceX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know back then the trend for polygon 3D games was considered cutting edge but I wish they could've ignored that and made a Metroid 64 that's just a 3D model on a 2D plane like Kirby 64.
Prime never really had that metroid feeling for me either. But, N64 could've gave Metroid that creepy vibe, which I think is the reason OoT and Majora's Mask were so good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.