ROM Hack Metroid: Other M Redux (Based on Maxximum Edition)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey I just got redux working and I saw that the banner is different than my older version of maxximum edition. Could you guide me on how to have that banner with redux?
The banner is quite easy.
Simply copy-paste the extensionless 2XXX / 3XXX files from Maxximum into Redux and that should be it, those are the ones that add the Maxximum banner into the title screen.

WaterTheFlowers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The banner is quite easy.
Simply copy-paste the extensionless 2XXX / 3XXX files from Maxximum into Redux and that should be it, those are the ones that add the Maxximum banner into the title screen.
Thanks for the help, I had to add
<folder external="/Other M Redux" disc="/" />
in the xml for it to pick up but the files are correct.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Shadow!
I redid all of my clips with your new method, and I endorse it 100%!
It fixed all of the issues on those specific files we looked at on my end as well, and the quality is overall better than my first attempt.

Just a quick note about the DMC exe in your archive.org link - when I tried to use the one you packed in, DMC would run a "This codec is not properly installed" error on every clip and track I tried to run through it. Though when I installed DMC from its setup file in the dc-file.ru link and entered a "name" and "company", it ran correctly afterwards.
I'm guessing DMC wouldn't work unless it was properly installed, so you may want to consider packing the setup file in your archive.org link.

Personally, I think that's it for me on the video end! I'll work next on opening my own project thread and a download method.
Subtitles are coming along nicely but is still very WIP, and I particularly need to find a way to patch the game so that it doesn't crash from the message_all changes.
If there's an easy way to do it I'm all ears, though I have no coding skills whatsoever.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey Shadow!
I redid all of my clips with your new method, and I endorse it 100%!
It fixed all of the issues on those specific files we looked at on my end as well, and the quality is overall better than my first attempt.

Just a quick note about the DMC exe in your archive.org link - when I tried to use the one you packed in, DMC would run a "This codec is not properly installed" error on every clip and track I tried to run through it. Though when I installed DMC from its setup file in the dc-file.ru link and entered a "name" and "company", it ran correctly afterwards.
I'm guessing DMC wouldn't work unless it was properly installed, so you may want to consider packing the setup file in your archive.org link.

Personally, I think that's it for me on the video end! I'll work next on opening my own project thread and a download method.
Subtitles are coming along nicely but is still very WIP, and I particularly need to find a way to patch the game so that it doesn't crash from the message_all changes.
If there's an easy way to do it I'm all ears, though I have no coding skills whatsoever.

Awesome! Glad to know that my new method has worked wonderfully for you, and that it basically confirms this is the way to go for editing Other M cutscenes :)
I have gone ahead and added a small messages about installing DMC using the newly uploaded mcsetup.exe file in case the codec error appears, so the recommended method should now be complete, or at least until CryTools by ThisKwasior gets updated so I can use that for SFD file muxing so I can hopefully upload the missing 3 SFD files from the DropBox link into the Archive.org page.

What issues are you having with the subtitles?

Reactions: ScaryHobbit

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's this error I posted before for the later cutscenes in the game that I found was due to me changing the subtitles in message_all.dat, and how they were appearing earlier in my theater mode playthrough the more I edited the file.

My current theory is when I make changes to message_all, it also changes the file's corresponding hex values. But since the game is programmed to read only the original hex values of the original file ripped from the disk, it freaks out when it reads a hex value that's different than what it's supposed to be - and thus crashes.
That's were I'd like to know how to create a patch to have the game read the new hex values for the modified file instead of the original values.

(And as you can guess, swapping the video files doesn't trigger this error, so fortunately they aren't the problem.)

dm63Bto64 (The climax and epilogue) - Similar issue as the previous scene - There is no loading issue on my end and the clip will also play in full (good thing too, as it's one of the longest and most important in the game). But it has effects on two subsequent clips that is more severe but in a different way.
The first is the credits - It causes a glitch that prevents any text from displaying in the credits unless you directly play it from chapter select. You can still at least listen to the music and watch Samus' helmet in the video tho...
The second scene is dm65_02 (Where Samus finds Adam's helmet) - This will actually cause Dolphin to crash mid-scene when it's swapping between in-game and CG footage (as in the base untouched footage) with this error:
Core\PowerPC\MMU.cpp:1154 E[MASTER]: Warning: Invalid read from 0x00000000, PC = 0x8001be44
Core\PowerPC\MMU.cpp:1154 E[MASTER]: Warning: Invalid read from 0x00000000, PC = 0x8001be44
Looks like it could be an MMU error, but this does not happen on vanilla Other M.

Further testing on crashing cutscene dm65_02_cut11to15...

Turns out it's not the other video or sound files that is making it crash, but the message_all.dat file!
I.E. the subtitle file.
Very strange... but when I deactivate the modded message_all file and just use the vanilla one - even if the modded clips and sound is activated - it plays correctly and doesn't crash.

I suppose worst-case scenario it only affects a couple brief scenes in the postgame, so I can still play the postgame with the Japanese tracks. I just can't change the subtitles.

I tested running the modded message_all file when packed into an iso instead of running from Riivolution, and it still causes the same invalid read crashes. So it's either an error with the game or Dolphin.
Furthermore, as I edited more of the subtitles starting from the beginning of the game, the more invalid read crashes it causes later in the game.
I can also start seeing the error coming within the subtitles themselves, as it suddenly glitches out and prints either incorrect gibberish or is simply missing entire words - then it crashes.
It seems that the game's code is somehow tied to the subtitles as it is currently written in the vanilla game, and that changes to the file create conflicts with the coding even if you don't add extra lines in the .dat file - even though it shouldn't be affected.

I've edited all the cutscene subs from the beginning of Other M to the end of scene dm10 (Samus' thumbs up flashback / Adam's briefing), and after watching thru the entire Theater Mode, the only segments that crash are still in the post-game. However, it's starting to creep further ahead into the runtime, so who knows what scenes will be affected as I get further along.
I might just have to split things up into multiple message_all files for different parts of the game as a workaround.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's this error I posted before for the later cutscenes in the game that I found was due to me changing the subtitles in message_all.dat, and how they were appearing earlier in my theater mode playthrough the more I edited the file.

My current theory is when I make changes to message_all, it also changes the file's corresponding hex values. But since the game is programmed to read only the original hex values of the original file ripped from the disk, it freaks out when it reads a hex value that's different than what it's supposed to be - and thus crashes.
That's were I'd like to know how to create a patch to have the game read the new hex values for the modified file instead of the original values.

(And as you can guess, swapping the video files doesn't trigger this error, so fortunately they aren't the problem.)

Oh right, I forgot about that.
So to keep up with it all, modifying anything related to the message_all.dat file makes the game crash with the an invalid read error, correct?
Are you adding new subtitles altogether? As in adding new text?
What I was doing was simply blanking certain lines out, like those that were removed in the audio, I simply replace with spaces in the modified message_all.dat file.

Can you try something similar?
Simply replacing existing subtitles' lines with spaces, try that out and see if that did anything.
If it works, then it's something related to adding new lines which might be hardcoded somewhere in the game. This is still something I have left to figure out since there's no documentation on how to edit the timeframes where each subtitle appears, nor how to add/remove lines altogether for it.

mystro256

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not to derail the conversation around subtitles, but one thing that would be nice to change in other M would be to remove some of the excessive locking of doors. I always loved how other Metroid games allow backtracking for missed upgrades, but this door-locking nonsense is something I really dislike about other M.

For example, near the beginning of the game in the main sector, it locks you off from backtracking to your ship when you reach the room with the first energy tank. After getting said energy tank and turning the power back on (the objective after the first boss), it unlocks this door, but at the same time locks another door a few rooms further towards your ship (a door near the bathrooms/restrooms).

The byproduct of this is that it blocks you off from getting a missile expansion that you could easily get with the newly "unlocked" morph ball bomb. This seems like a bug or something considering how little sense it makes to do this.

So, I was playing around with AR codes and noticed the following keeps the first door I mentioned unlocked:

04CCC984 00000000

But was unable to figure out the memory address for the second door's lock, which is the more useful door to keep unlocked in this case. I wanted to go around noting all of the doors that really shouldn't auto-lock like this, but I can't even figure out the one yet, so I've been a bit discouraged from continuing.

Post automatically merged:

Update: For anyone who's interested, I found the lock happens once you enter the system management room (where you turn on the power), and I didn't have any luck figuring out where the flag is set in memory.

I plan to note down some more unnecessary locks and their triggers, so I can hopefully figure out how to prevent them to improve the playability of this game.

Update 2: I think I managed to find the memory flag, but it seems unsetting it causes a soft lock when you turn the power on.

Last edited by mystro256,
Reactions: Felold

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh right, I forgot about that.
So to keep up with it all, modifying anything related to the message_all.dat file makes the game crash with the an invalid read error, correct?
Are you adding new subtitles altogether? As in adding new text?
What I was doing was simply blanking certain lines out, like those that were removed in the audio, I simply replace with spaces in the modified message_all.dat file.

Can you try something similar?
Simply replacing existing subtitles' lines with spaces, try that out and see if that did anything.
If it works, then it's something related to adding new lines which might be hardcoded somewhere in the game. This is still something I have left to figure out since there's no documentation on how to edit the timeframes where each subtitle appears, nor how to add/remove lines altogether for it.
I did a test and replaced all the dialogue lines in the english section of message_all with "\\" - basically replacing all the subtitles with blank lines.
Surprisingly, this ran thru without any crashes.

When I run thru my main edited subtitles though, it crashes here:
MOM_messageall_invalid read_LL.JPG

I also tested replacing other language sections with \\ in case file size is an issue, but the game crashes in the exact same location.

I don't think it has to do with sub timings or that I added more lines or columns though. If I added new columns it would display each subtitle at the wrong time in-game - and most of the blank columns aren't programmed to any time, so they wouldn't appear at all.
I could double check my file to see if there's any mistakes though. If that doesn't work, I may need to find someone with knowledge on how to patch these invalid reads.

Until then, I've made a workaround by splitting off a second message_all file. With everything prior to the Metroid Queen fight blanked out, all the later cutscenes don't crash.

Last edited by ScaryHobbit,

duelistzeus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if I have this installed correctly on dolphin, I downloaded the archive files and the dropbox files, put them into dolphin/load/other m redux, and the xml into the riivolution folder and activated everything on the riivolution menu, but some cutscenes are edited (like in one cutscene I saw samus's mouth moving but no audio) and some aren't, usually the prerendered movie cutscenes for example the ridley cutscene was default. And the third person missile doesn't work unless i manually enable it in dolphin cheats menu. The maxximum ost doesn't work either, whether I have the option in the riivolution menu set to disabled or redux. Do I need to have the original maxximum patch installed too at the same time?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm not sure if I have this installed correctly on dolphin, I downloaded the archive files and the dropbox files, put them into dolphin/load/other m redux, and the xml into the riivolution folder and activated everything on the riivolution menu, but some cutscenes are edited (like in one cutscene I saw samus's mouth moving but no audio) and some aren't, usually the prerendered movie cutscenes for example the ridley cutscene was default. And the third person missile doesn't work unless i manually enable it in dolphin cheats menu. The maxximum ost doesn't work either, whether I have the option in the riivolution menu set to disabled or redux. Do I need to have the original maxximum patch installed too at the same time?

I think I did a full set up myself on Dolphin for Linux a while ago, and did find some issues of my own. I have to rework some of the files to make this work.
The cutscenes should all work tho, not just some, do take into consideration that not all cutscenes are modified, only a few (around 8 or so), and the rest only have slight audio changes.

Still, most of the stuff in it should work.
Give me a few hours until I get out of work to upload my own XML file as well as my own JSON for Dolphin.
In the meanwhile, posting your XML and folder paths could help.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Here's my latest XML and JSON file.
The path for the Redux files is:

Code:
dolphin-emu/Load/Riivolution/Other M Redux/

You might need to change the directories accordingly in the XML and JSON files f you're using Windows.
Do take into consideration that in Windows, the Dolphin folder is usually located inside "Documents", this is for Linux since that's how I test Other M Redux:

And inside it these folders and files:

Code:
dolphin-emu/Load/Riivolution/Other M Redux/
                                          |-> message/message_all.dat
                                          |-> model/(All of the numbered models with no extension)
                                          |-> movie/(All of the SFD files)
                                          |-> sound/
                                                  |-> bgm/(A bunch of AIX files)
                                                  |-> ost/(A bunch of AIX files)
                                          |-> redux.dol

Attachments

• OtherMRedux.zip
    1,014 bytes · Views: 33

novortices

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi it's me again, after a few months. With the new updates and better tutorial, I've finally been able to get this mod working. Thank you ShadowOne so much for making this mod!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi it's me again, after a few months. With the new updates and better tutorial, I've finally been able to get this mod working. Thank you ShadowOne so much for making this mod!
Glad to know it's working for you :)
There's still some slight things left to do, like better audio quality thanks to AI tools like Demucs, and the unused Power Suit 3D model in-game, but that's still pending.

novortices

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to know it's working for you :)
There's still some slight things left to do, like better audio quality thanks to AI tools like Demucs, and the unused Power Suit 3D model in-game, but that's still pending.
There is still one problem I just noticed though. While I noticed that the texture stuff is working, the replaced SFDs aren't playing with the edits ingame, even with "CGI Cutscenes" enabled in Dolphin's Riivolution menu. I used the torrent to download the updated version if that makes a difference.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is still one problem I just noticed though. While I noticed that the texture stuff is working, the replaced SFDs aren't playing with the edits ingame, even with "CGI Cutscenes" enabled in Dolphin's Riivolution menu. I used the torrent to download the updated version if that makes a difference.
It might be due to the name of the folder
Open the XML file and check what's the name for the SFDs folders, I think the torrent has it like "movies", but in my build it's just "movie" in singular.

Reactions: LightBeam

novortices

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be due to the name of the folder
Open the XML file and check what's the name for the SFDs folders, I think the torrent has it like "movies", but in my build it's just "movie" in singular.
Thank you! This did the trick. Also, any update on getting the shoulder padless Power Suit model in the game, or is it meant for later in the project?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you! This did the trick. Also, any update on getting the shoulder padless Power Suit model in the game, or is it meant for later in the project?

Glad that did it! I should update the XML on Archive sooner to avoid that typo.
As for the shoulder-padless Power Suit, if it depended on me, it'd be done already. The current unused model can be used in cutscenes without a hurdle actually, with the only issue being the transparent visor object not being anchored to Samus' head properly, but it works.

Sadly, the in-game models are quite different from the cutscenes ones, so the unused Power Suit cutscene model needs to have its parts ported to the in-game one.
This is what I'm seeking help for, I need someone who is willing to help and is knowledgeable in GC or Wii 3D model modding to make this work, as 3D models are way out of my reach. But rest assured, once that's done, I'll update the models day one. (Theinfo on which files have which models is in the OP btw)

novortices

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last question. Is there any plans to fix the issue with the third-person missiles where you can use Super Missiles even before you unlock Super Missiles themselves?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
One last question. Is there any plans to fix the issue with the third-person missiles where you can use Super Missiles even before you unlock Super Missiles themselves?

That's part of the Gecko code from what I know. And the Gecko code got coded into the game, so unless the Gecko code itself is modified to take those into account, I don't think that could be fixed.

If at all I think it's a nice side thing to have, and from what I know Adam doesn't directly prohibit nor authorize the Super Missiles, he simply tells Samus to use them to break the lava flow for Ridley's fight.

I kinda like them tbh 😜

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Posting to mention that I have completely revamped all of the .AIX and .SFD files with the newest methods I found for converting both audio and video files for Other M Redux.
I also made use of a special AI vocal separator engine called Demucs to aid with some of the vocal removal for cutscenes and audio tracks specifically, and this did a much better job than I could ever do through Audacity, so I redid the entire AIX and SFD files audio tracks with this AI, and the results are incredible. I no longer have muffled voices or background music being muted or dropped in volume randomly, at worst I get some random hissing sound and that's the worst case scenario. Additionally, all of the SFD files now properly include both their English and Japanese audio tracks.

I have also gone ahead and edited the message_all.dat file, which includes all of the game's subtitles, to address for the new vocal/audio changes, and removed the subtitles that I removed through audio with the use of Notepad++, since opening the message_all.dat file with Notepad++ and saving with it properly keeps the byte structure of the entire file intact, only removing the portions I don't want from the script.

Not only that, but I have also dropped the Dropbox link and fully uploaded the missing files to Archive.org now, so the entirety of the project should now be available there. The only drawback is that I had to include the whole SFD files inside a .zip file, since for some reason Archive.org doesn't allow me to upload them as standalone files, since upon uploading them, Archive.org throws me an upload error saying I should upload them in a video format extension (.mp4, .mpg, etc.). Seems like Archive.org does recognize them as video files, but it still refuses to accept the SFD format, so yeah, blame Archive.org for that. Once CryTools is updated, I might try redoing the SFD files with it, since the very few SFD files I did with it DID get uploaded by themselves without issues in Archive.org

So what now?
Well, I still haven't been able to edit the in-game model to port the cutscene Power Suit model into it (nor have I been able to fix the transparent visor anchorage for the cutscene model), and I still haven't found a way to change the timeframes in which the subtitles for cutscenes dm36to43 and dm52to56 appear, so the subtitles will be out of sync with these two cutscenes, given how I had to recut them to avoid the out-of-character moments for Samus. Outside of those two specific cutscenes, all others have been kept intact in length, so the subtitles should behave normally in all other instances.

Almost at the finish line with the project, just need to properly find out how or who to contact to do the Power Suit model, and the subtitle timeframes, and that should be it for the project!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: