Microsoft Disabling Dev Mode Access

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Funnily enough though, at least at the time, I got my dev account for free because I was a student.
i got one for free too as a student back then for development of windows phone 7 apps :P totally forgot about it until i had to re-activate it for dev mode last year when i got a series s

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems wrong to me, If you had to pay to be able get the Dev access anyways, then they can just take it away.
Why can't they take it away? A one time payment doesn't guarantee you lifetime access.
There will come a time when the servers are taken down too.

Okay they're probably trying to move against everyone running emulators on their XBoxes because piracy or some crap, but surely there's some non-zero population of hobby devs using Dev Mode as intended? To play around with the hardware and console dev, regardless of whether or not they want to sell anything.
I don't think messing around with xbox and never publishing anything was what was intended.

Certainly using it as a paid homebrew exploit wasn't intended.

I am glad this happened, we might see xbox hacks again.

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m guessing many people were abusing the dev mode feature to use emulators and not make games.

Microsoft just got their Other OS moment.

vanzan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol and there was I thinking that paying the $20 or whatever was the proper way to do it rather than whitelisting. Only reason I bought a Series S and the dev access. Assholes.

blerg16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I haven't been banned yet. I never published anything to the store. But I did compile and run a few things via VisualStudio (things like Sonic CD when that was first published as a PC port). Either they haven't gotten around to banning me yet, or they're actually looking at other dev-adjacent activities besides publishing?

Mario119

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was genuinely thinking of picking up Series S to mess around with, but I guess they just saved me $300

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xxx_I_pWn_u_xxx: "You can't revoke access to a 'dev mode' feature and claim it's meant only for developers and not just playing emulators! How else am I supposed to play Super Metroid?!11 I'm not buying an Xbox now and while I'm definitely not a pirate I hope you get hacked!"

Microsoft: "I don't even know you but ok"

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a gross move that helps no-one and hurts everyone.

Hopefully this will light a fire under the asses of devs who instead of publishing shovelware to keep accounts active will now work to break the system wide open.

Cosmyc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would probably recommend uploading Durango FTP to retail as a private app to create a store presence of some kinds, you can also create an account for like $2 if you set the region to Argentina.
I wanna upload privately Durango FTP for myself, but when trying I get the error message "You cannot submit pre-compiled .NET Native packages. Please upload the Microsoft Store appxupload file and try again."

What can I do?

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I assume there's some kind of validation step when someone uploads a RA build to the store. It's not like you are downloading the app from a third party market or something like that.
yup, it has to pass an automatic and a manual certification before being published on the microsoft store

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: